Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 11, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #15,316 of 18,275
M scaler adds smoothness, or I should say flow. Music is smoother but not muddied. At the same time transients are sharper but overall flow of the music is smoother/improved.
Many times I've experience music "slowing down" with M Scaler. - of course music was the same but the feeling is changed. Rob explained it as transients do not modulate each other and loud instruments don't get your attention.

Here
Would it be more akin to a nice vinyl system? I just don’t want to add further separation to the music.

May 11, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #15,317 of 18,275
I guess in some ways,
Analogue doesn’t suffer from the decimation and reconstruction issues of digital, mainly the filtering to try and achieve a “perfectly bandwidth limited” signal, and a lot of what the Mscaler does is minimise transient timing inaccuracies which affect timbre, instrument separation etc, but digital has far superior S/N ratio, dynamic range and channel separation compared to analogue, so in effect it can get you “closer” to the music, for want of a better explanation.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #15,318 of 18,275
Since I changed the power supply of both the M Scaler and the Streamer with the Lithium battery, I feel I have reached a priceless listening result!
I dare not imagine the new Choral M Sclaler where it can go beyond this. Anxious waiting!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 11, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #15,319 of 18,275
Yes m scaled music is closer in flow to vinyl.
I have vinyl at home but it's nothing special rather very entry level stuff. And flow of the music liquidity from m scaled music is very similar. Everything else is much better when playing for example MTT2 direct to my speakers. Soundstage is more holographic, deeper, much better imaging and focus there is nothing to compare.
Alas I've never listened to really high end vinyl system so I don't want to talk much about it as it could be different.

May 11, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #15,320 of 18,275
I guess in some ways,
Analogue doesn’t suffer from the decimation and reconstruction issues of digital, mainly the filtering to try and achieve a “perfectly bandwidth limited” signal, and a lot of what the Mscaler does is minimise transient timing inaccuracies which affect timbre, instrument separation etc, but digital has far superior S/N ratio, dynamic range and channel separation compared to analogue, so in effect it can get you “closer” to the music, for want of a better explanation.
Exactly, that's probably biggest problem of digital music, interpolation filter and problem of reconstruction.
But that's only my thoughts, so what I know :wink:

That's why I've never understood fascination with NOS dacs.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #15,321 of 18,275
One tip I took from one of Rob’s presentations was different types of listening, enjoyment vs critical, once we get the Hifi bug it’s all to easy to chase “bigger,better,faster, more”, so now I just sit back and enjoy, for a critical session when comparing cables, isolators etc Rob’s comment of listening for variation is invaluable, if everything sounds brighter or smoother go back, only when brighter instruments sound brighter and rich smooth instruments sound smoother and more mellow have you made a genuine improvement in transparency, which is another term for getting “closer” to the music or source.

May 11, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #15,322 of 18,275
One tip I took from one of Rob’s presentations was different types of listening, enjoyment vs critical, once we get the Hifi bug it’s all to easy to chase “bigger,better,faster, more”, so now I just sit back and enjoy, for a critical session when comparing cables, isolators etc Rob’s comment of listening for variation is invaluable, if everything sounds brighter or smoother go back, only when brighter instruments sound brighter and rich smooth instruments sound smoother and more mellow have you made a genuine improvement in transparency, which is another term for getting “closer” to the music or source.
I also find that if everything sounds less ‘loud’ even if the measured volume is the same then that is a step in the right direction.

May 11, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #15,323 of 18,275
I have been contemplating using battery as a source for my HMS connected to TT2. Honestly I am not sure if I am even having RF issues but I recently purchased a EcoFlow RIVER Pro Portable Power Station for different use but wondering if I can use the DC out from it to power my HMS without any issues? As per the mfr site the spec for DC output is 13.6Vdc, 3A Max per port.

mfr link: https://us.ecoflow.com/products/river-pro-portable-power-station

I really dont want to do any harm to my HMS since I am pretty happy the way it is...but not sure if there is a way to make it even more better!

thanks
Thought to follow up on my earlier post...I "thought" my mscaler -> tt2 didnt have any "issues" just because they werent on battery source...Boy I was so wrong! Running both HMS and TT2 via direct DC from the Ecoflow battery and things have improved so much, more refined bass, nice slams, more texture and treble is much much smoother now. WOW!

I said to myself maybe its placebo since I know I am changing something and looking for improvements but that's not the case at least in my system. I tried numerous times alternating and also did blind test and could pick EVERY time when its run via battery as source.

I have ordered a https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pb187-portable-power-station just to seperate HMS and TT2 onto their own seperate battery source. For anyone looking to get there are coupons - SU35 that I was able to use for $80 discount and get price down to $140 or so.

Itching for the WAVE STORM now but damn its one expensive cable and sometimes wonder for that may be get a ARYA and enjoy a different sound signature / planar hp.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the battery as source.

May 11, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #15,324 of 18,275
Thought to follow up on my earlier post...I "thought" my mscaler -> tt2 didnt have any "issues" just because they werent on battery source...Boy I was so wrong! Running both HMS and TT2 via direct DC from the Ecoflow battery and things have improved so much, more refined bass, nice slams, more texture and treble is much much smoother now. WOW!

I said to myself maybe its placebo since I know I am changing something and looking for improvements but that's not the case at least in my system. I tried numerous times alternating and also did blind test and could pick EVERY time when its run via battery as source.

I have ordered a https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pb187-portable-power-station just to seperate HMS and TT2 onto their own seperate battery source. For anyone looking to get there are coupons - SU35 that I was able to use for $80 discount and get price down to $140 or so.

Itching for the WAVE STORM now but damn its one expensive cable and sometimes wonder for that may be get a ARYA and enjoy a different sound signature / planar hp.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the battery as source.

Dont these use switching to sweep up and alternate voltage? (create 230/120 vac)
That i would rather avoid since switching creates hf noise..
The only benefit is decoupling from the net.

I would rather use 12VDC battery on TT2/HMS
And in case of DAVE a series of batteries making 120VDC.. no switching.
Its also more efficient.. no heat loss in conversion

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #15,325 of 18,275
Dont these use switching to sweep up and alternate voltage? (create 230/120 vac)

And in case of DAVE a series of batteries making 120VDC.. no switching
I am using 12VC DC output from the battery directly into HMS/TT2, not the AC output from the battery, so no switching AFIK but have to say electrical is not my forte but based on what I have read so far using DC output directly from these battery is the preferred choice. The RAVPower has direct 12V DC output as well.

May 11, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #15,326 of 18,275
I am using 12VC DC output from the battery directly into HMS/TT2, not the AC output from the battery, so no switching AFIK but have to say electrical is not my forte but based on what I have read so far using DC output directly from these battery is the preferred choice. The RAVPower has direct 12V DC output as well.

Ah thats good.
Be shure the internal switching circuit is not still active while using DC out.

May 11, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #15,327 of 18,275

And in case of DAVE a series of batteries making 120VDC.. no switching.
Its also more efficient.. no heat loss in conversion
I don't think your concept of batteries for DAVE will work as it requires 120V of *ac* power.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #15,328 of 18,275
@muski, and the Audiowise RF•STOP Isolation Box 📦 only costs an easy $3,495 USD. Who knew? It’s obviously a gotta have. 😀
Well I haven’t heard an RF-STOP, so I can’t comment on its value. But since this is from the same company that produces the excellent OPTO-DX and SRC-DX products, as difficult as it is for my to get my head around its efficacy, this is a case (no pun intended) where I wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand without first listening to it. Remember, a few posts earlier someone was discussing significant RF leakage measurements from the M Scaler. (One reason I like the OPTO-DX is I can get my DAVE nine feet away from the M Scaler).

May 11, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #15,329 of 18,275
I also find that if everything sounds less ‘loud’ even if the measured volume is the same then that is a step in the right direction.
Thank you @The Jester and @Triode User for this great characterization. It’s been an interesting journey to learn what transparency and noise reduction actually sounds like. Actually takes some training of the brain. I’ve always wanted some kind of ear-training demo tracks: ie here’s what extreme noise sounds like, here’s what jitter sounds like, etc.

May 12, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #15,330 of 18,275
@muski, for me getting an SRC.DX and moving my M Scaler a meter away from my TT2 was a revelation. I had no idea what the little black box was going to do until I heard the results for myself. Actually at first I was pretty skeptical as to its efficacy. But not anymore.

Attachments

• 71C4AC05-E27D-45B9-8087-975DD7BEA538.jpeg
    71C4AC05-E27D-45B9-8087-975DD7BEA538.jpeg
    831.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back