Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 14, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #15,361 of 18,495
With two right angles and a straight, we are able to connect the HMS and Qutest/TT2. As for the Dave, might need more connectors, but it can be done.

Virtually, blind the two pieces into a piece.

The main reason is these connectors totally block the airborne RF.
And what brings you to that conclusion?

May 14, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #15,362 of 18,495
Has anyone used the MCRU LPS with the M Scaler? I'm considering an M Scaler in the future.
I have bought the MCRU Ultimate LPS for my Qutest and along with the PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3 I'm very happy. So my thoughts are that buying a secondhand M Scaler will allow me to buy the LPS and some interconnects.

May 14, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #15,363 of 18,495
Has anyone used the MCRU LPS with the M Scaler? I'm considering an M Scaler in the future.
I have bought the MCRU Ultimate LPS for my Qutest and along with the PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3 I'm very happy. So my thoughts are that buying a secondhand M Scaler will allow me to buy the LPS and some interconnects.
I have the MCRU LPS on my m scalar. I have to say I think the sound upgrade was marginal.

However, I plan to upgrade the PSU on the DAVE soon and it might be that this shows up better what the m scaler plus mcru is actually doing.

So the jury is still out.

May 14, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #15,365 of 18,495
Level 2 Silver DC Cable
Thanks, will consider adding those then.

Do you have any memory of its SQ benefits?

What I fear most is adding noise to the sound as all my choices in audio components are about the opposite.

May 14, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #15,366 of 18,495
I have the MCRU LPS on my m scalar. I have to say I think the sound upgrade was marginal.

However, I plan to upgrade the PSU on the DAVE soon and it might be that this shows up better what the m scaler plus mcru is actually doing.

I agree, I also have the MCRU LPS on the Mscaler, there's an improvement over the stock power supply, but it's nothing revolutionary, having recently had the chance to listen to the Farad Super on someone else's system, I think the Farad Super would probably have been a better option., but without trying one in my system it's impossible to be sure.
So the jury is still out.

May 14, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #15,367 of 18,495
I agree, I also have the MCRU LPS on the Mscaler, there's an improvement over the stock power supply, but it's nothing revolutionary, having recently had the chance to listen to the Farad Super on someone else's system, I think the Farad Super would probably have been a better option., but without trying one in my system it's impossible to be sure.
I was thinking the same. I'll probably end up getting the 3-way Farad solution for the DAVE and the single Farad for the m scaler shortly afterwards 🙂

May 14, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #15,368 of 18,495
I was thinking the same. I'll probably end up getting the 3-way Farad solution for the DAVE and the single Farad for the m scaler shortly afterwards 🙂
I'm a bit nervous about openning up Dave, electronics isn't something I've ever messed around with, swapping around cables and plugging an LPS into an existing socket is about my limit.

I suppose if I go down the external power supply route I'll ask someone more experienced to undertake the work. Whilst the SJ unit's are a more expensive option, there are plenty of positive reviews from Dave owners, as yet the Farad solution is still something of an unknown quantity, hopefully by the time I get around to making a decision we'll know a little more about the performance of the Farad. and Dave combination.

May 14, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #15,369 of 18,495
I use a 15-16v Sbooster with my M Scaler. And for me it was a huge improvement in sound quality over that of the stock Chord SMPS. Literally night and day in comparison.

May 14, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #15,370 of 18,495
I use a 12v LPS from Sonore with M Scaler. A nice improvement and well-priced. Their site only shows 7v, but they'll do 12v if you contact them.

May 15, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #15,371 of 18,495
And what brings you to that conclusion?

the centre pin is protected by the outer metal casing. if you look at the construction of the BNC male and female, the centre pin will not expose to air internally.

And these are very neat, no need to worry about cable management.

Attachments

• bnc1.jpg
    bnc1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0
  • bnc21.jpg
    bnc21.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #15,372 of 18,495
the centre pin is protected by the outer metal casing. if you look at the construction of the BNC male and female, the centre pin will not expose to air internally.

But with the cables the centre conductor is protected by the screen. With a good quality cable the screen is very effective.

Also, whilst there is environmental RF there is also RF noise in the ground plane from the Mscaler. I fear that you have just created the best possible method of ensuring that all of that ground plane RF noise gets through to the DAC 100% undiminished.

You have effectively gone for a very short cable. In early experiments both Rob Watts and I found that we preferred the sound of longer cables. So 1m cables were better than 0.5m cables and 2m cables were better than 1m cables.

How would you describe the sound with your short connection method? Is it smoother? Quieter? Less attack to the notes? Less fatiguing? Or does it have better sound stage ? Better clarity? More life like sound?

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #15,373 of 18,495

If im not mistaken.. i brought you on track of this idea.
Its for sure the cheapest link 😀

Pity Qutest cant be nicely placed in the middle.. for esthetics sake.

Its air born RF thats being shielded.. not ground plane RF from HMS

But.. whats your sound impression?

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #15,374 of 18,495
If im not mistaken.. i brought you on track of this idea.
Its for sure the cheapest link 😀

Pity Qutest cant be nicely placed in the middle.. for esthetics sake.

Its air born RF thats being shielded.. not ground plane RF from HMS

But.. whats your sound impression?

Let me reply to the easier question first!

Yeah boy! After all the years, I realised that my main interest in this hobby is to conduct science experiments instead of listening to music. :)

It's possible to place the Qutest to the middle but at a cost, longer right-angled and more straight but more contact points. Thanks to the beauty of the 360 degree rotation feature.

I dismantled the Qutest from test case No. 1 for illusion purpose therefore no listening experience yet. That will be test case No. 5.

And at test case no. 6, I will isolate the HMS and Qutest by inserting an aluminium foil in between, and short the aluminium foil to the ground to find out how effective it is.

May 15, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #15,375 of 18,495
Let me reply to the easier question first!

Yeah boy! After all the years, I realised that my main interest in this hobby is to conduct science experiments instead of listening to music. :)

It's possible to place the Qutest to the middle but at a cost, longer right-angled and more straight but more contact points. Thanks to the beauty of the 360 degree rotation feature.

I dismantled the Qutest from test case No. 1 for illusion purpose therefore no listening experience yet. That will be test case No. 5.

And at test case no. 6, I will isolate the HMS and Qutest by inserting an aluminium foil in between, and short the aluminium foil to the ground to find out how effective it is.
I'll be following this with interest as I plan to get an M Scaler later in time to add to my Qutest and really do not like the idea of bloody great big heavy, expensive interconnects. Of course I'm hoping that if and when the new M Scaler eventually arrives something may be done to address some of the issues raised on this thread. Just as long as I can use the existing inputs for the Qutest.
One other thing I like the idea of the two unit configuration of the MCRU LPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back