Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 12, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #15,061 of 18,348
Well by next weekend I will have received the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable for my newly acquired Utopia's I'm expecting great results from these cables as my Stellia's had a big improvement when I bought the Moon Audio Black Dragons for my Stellia's. My Qutest will have had a few hours to settle down too.
I'm still thinking that the M Scaler will be the icing on the cake with the Qutest then ultimately the Dave to replace the Qutest and keep the M Scaler.
It's and expensive hobby but I'm keeping my Pathos Inpol Ear as the main headphone amp as it just does the job so well.

Just to add I think it will be a while before I upgrade again then perhaps there will be a Dave 2 and M Scaler 2, the Pathos and Utopia's will stay though.
You can also search the 2nd hand market.. some users are selling because of pggb ..
(to later get a HMS back again 😄)
When i got mine there simply was no 2nd to find.

I enjoyed my Qutest immensely with it
The step from 49k to 1M taps is hugely audible. In # taps the improvement is bigger than Dave

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #15,062 of 18,348
Mar 12, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #15,063 of 18,348
Then PGGB with 250+ million taps is king. Says a guy with his second mscaler. 😝
I personally prefer the sound of the Hugo M Scaler with TT2 over that of PGGB upsampling.

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #15,064 of 18,348
I personally prefer the sound of the Hugo M Scaler with TT2 over that of PGGB upsampling.
PGGB really shines when there is a bit of reverb in the recording and Squeeze is used for playback. The mscaler with Rob’s WTA1 filter is better on transients. Fortunately my system allows for easy switching between them. For those without a dual bnc dac PGGB or HQPlayer is a great alternative. Like I mentioned this is my second mscaler which says it all.

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #15,065 of 18,348
PGGB really shines when there is a bit of reverb in the recording and Squeeze is used for playback. The mscaler with Rob’s WTA1 filter is better on transients. Fortunately my system allows for easy switching between them. For those without a dual bnc dac PGGB or HQPlayer is a great alternative. Like I mentioned this is my second mscaler which says it all.

Im a lazy guy.. and i believe HMS does its job perfectly.. so i stick with a one box solution that can do (almost) realtime processing.

Rob says the algorythm is more important than sheer tap number.

Doesnt take away the strength of PGGB that constantly can being upgraded.. but one needs a muscular PC, time and knowhow to get it right

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #15,067 of 18,348
PGGB is offline upscaling only, right? Is there a way to get it to work near real-time?
I believe there is a FooBar real time plugin. Nothing for streaming though.

Mar 17, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #15,068 of 18,348
Looking for some help. The M Scaler produces a minute but audible noise in my setup (Auralic G2, M Scaler, Dave, Formula S, Wave BNC cables). It is only audible with sensitive headphones like the Utopia and the Elite, not with the Susvara or TC. When I squeeze the headphone cable, the noise reacts, so I think it has to do with the power supply of the m scaler. I use the stock power supply. There is no such noise when I remove the M Scaler from the chain.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #15,069 of 18,348
Looking for some help. The M Scaler produces a minute but audible noise in my setup (Auralic G2, M Scaler, Dave, Formula S, Wave BNC cables). It is only audible with sensitive headphones like the Utopia and the Elite, not with the Susvara or TC. When I squeeze the headphone cable, the noise reacts, so I think it has to do with the power supply of the m scaler. I use the stock power supply. There is no such noise when I remove the M Scaler from the chain.

Any suggestions?
First thing I would try is to connect Auralic G2 via Toslink to M-Scaler and remove all electrical connection between G2 and M-Scaler and see if it solves the problem. If it does but you prefer using USB, sometimes it’s about plugging all your devices into the same power bar. Sometimes you may have to ground one of your devices. If you don’t have a grounding cable, you may want to buy the ifi groundhog.
https://ifi-audio.com/products/groundhog/

Mar 17, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #15,070 of 18,348
First thing I would try is to connect Auralic G2 via Toslink to M-Scaler and remove all electrical connection between G2 and M-Scaler and see if it solves the problem. If it does but you prefer using USB, sometimes it’s about plugging all your devices into the same power bar. Sometimes you may have to ground one of your devices. If you don’t have a grounding cable, you may want to buy the ifi groundhog.
https://ifi-audio.com/products/groundhog/
Thank you. I already plugged all audio devices into the same power bar. The only connection to other equipment is via the network cable in the G2, and via the wall socket. All the other devices are grounded I think, since they have C13 cables. Only the M Scaler is C7.

I'll try optical and look into the groundhog, thanks!

EDIT: looked into the groundhog. Puzzling for me.. What would I plug into what, in my setup?

EDIT2: What is also puzzling about this situation is that the noise doesn't always show up. I have yet to establish a pattern of when it does.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #15,072 of 18,348
Have you tried a different USB cable? I had a very high-pitched noise some times with Dave/HMS using an "audiophile" USB cable. Swap cable = problem gone.
I'm using an Audioquest carbon. I'll give that a try too, thanks.

Mar 17, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #15,073 of 18,348
Thank you. I already plugged all audio devices into the same power bar. The only connection to other equipment is via the network cable in the G2, and via the wall socket. All the other devices are grounded I think, since they have C13 cables. Only the M Scaler is C7.

I'll try optical and look into the groundhog, thanks!

EDIT: looked into the groundhog. Puzzling for me.. What would I plug into what, in my setup?

EDIT2: What is also puzzling about this situation is that the noise doesn't always show up. I have yet to establish a pattern of when it does.
I think whenever you run into these issues, it’s always difficult to know whether it’s an issue with a specific box (G2, HMS, DAVE, Formula S) or whether it’s a synergy issue. I didn’t want to write down every single possible way to troubleshoot the problem which was why I suggested G2 Toslink to HMS first.
The next possibility I can think of is that Formula S actually has a high noise floor which is why you can only hear it with sensitive headphones like Focal Utopia. What I would check next would be to listen to see if Utopia directly driven by DAVE generates the same noise.

All headphone cables have microphonics so if you tap them you can usually hear a sound. Hence, to me, that part is normal.

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #15,074 of 18,348
I think whenever you run into these issues, it’s always difficult to know whether it’s an issue with a specific box (G2, HMS, DAVE, Formula S) or whether it’s a synergy issue. I didn’t want to write down every single possible way to troubleshoot the problem which was why I suggested G2 Toslink to HMS first.
The next possibility I can think of is that Formula S actually has a high noise floor which is why you can only hear it with sensitive headphones like Focal Utopia. What I would check next would be to listen to see if Utopia directly driven by DAVE generates the same noise.

All headphone cables have microphonics so if you tap them you can usually hear a sound. Hence, to me, that part is normal.
It's not the microphonics, it's when I squeeze (not touch) the cable. Also when I touch devices in the chain, but not always. That's the annoying bit, the problem isn't always there. (Which is also a good thing I suppose..😊). I'll do that check with Dave direct when the noise manifests itself again.

The reason I suspect the HMS is because it never happens with the G2 feeding Dave (no HMS in the chain). And when I hear it with HMS in the chain, the noise disappears immediately upon unplugging the HMS.

Thanks for helping!

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #15,075 of 18,348
It's not the microphonics, it's when I squeeze (not touch) the cable. Also when I touch devices in the chain, but not always. That's the annoying bit, the problem isn't always there. (Which is also a good thing I suppose..😊). I'll do that check with Dave direct when the noise manifests itself again.

The reason I suspect the HMS is because it never happens with the G2 feeding Dave (no HMS in the chain). And when I hear it with HMS in the chain, the noise disappears immediately upon unplugging the HMS.

Thanks for helping!
This has probably been suggested already, but did you try using a different set of BNC cables? Also you can try to power the mScaler from a powerbank with DC out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back