Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 11, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #15,047 of 18,478
Hi guys, I am using a qutest and was thinking about getting an mscaler. Is there a noticeable difference with the mscaler? Do you think it is better to upgrade to TT2 first? What do you think is better, qutest+mscaler or TT2? Thanks.

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #15,048 of 18,478
Hi guys, I am using a qutest and was thinking about getting an mscaler. Is there a noticeable difference with the mscaler? Do you think it is better to upgrade to TT2 first? What do you think is better, qutest+mscaler or TT2? Thanks.
IMHO, the TT2 by itself sounds better than a Qutest + HMS. If you can, try and trade or save up for a TT2 before you even think about getting an M Scaler.

Mar 11, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #15,050 of 18,478
In my opinion, you have more noticeable improvements with the Mscaler on higher tier dacs.

Mar 11, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #15,051 of 18,478
I haven’t heard Qutest, but do own mTT2. I’m going to ask what your needs are. If you need Qutest as a DAC only, to feed a preamp or integrated amp to drive speakers that need more power than TT2 and provide and never listen to headphones, then mScaler may be the next best step for you. If you listen to headphones also or have efficient speakers, TT2 would be more versatile and you wouldn’t be paying for unused capabilities.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #15,052 of 18,478
Windows or Apple OS for Music supply and streaming from a Laptop? What’s everyone’s ‘cup of tea’ ?

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #15,053 of 18,478
Windows or Apple OS for Music supply and streaming from a Laptop? What’s everyone’s ‘cup of tea’ ?
I've not had any problems with my newish iPad where I have about 600 tracks of Amazon HD from my past.
Apple stuff can be a pain with their lightning connectors but once I'd spent out on the camera adaptor all was well.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #15,054 of 18,478
I've not had any problems with my newish iPad where I have about 600 tracks of Amazon HD from my past.
Apple stuff can be a pain with their lightning connectors but once I'd spent out on the camera adaptor all was well.
Thank you for your input. Yes... I have the same here. An iPad Pro 12.9". Great for streaming so far. I don't have any Music saved within it as yet. I want to explore EQ but the iPad is very limited in this area as its a special iPad Operating system and the good EQ programs require either OS or Windows...

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #15,055 of 18,478
Thank you for your input. Yes... I have the same here. An iPad Pro 12.9". Great for streaming so far. I don't have any Music saved within it as yet. I want to explore EQ but the iPad is very limited in this area as its a special iPad Operating system and the good EQ programs require either OS or Windows...
I've switched off all things like surround sound and 360 degree sound as they sound a bit crap. I have all input and output settings at best HD. I'm not a fan of boosting the sound with pre-sets so just have as clean/unaltered content as possible.

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #15,056 of 18,478
I've switched off all things like surround sound and 360 degree sound as they sound a bit crap. I have all input and output settings at best HD. I'm not a fan of boosting the sound with pre-sets so just have as clean/unaltered content as possible.
Understood. I’m operating solely through Headphones so require a bit of ‘assistance’ in the sound area. Just a little bit of bass boost here and there perhaps or a total EQ pre set entry to see what other users set their Headphones at that is said to ‘get the most’ out of them.

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #15,057 of 18,478
I haven’t heard Qutest, but do own mTT2. I’m going to ask what your needs are. If you need Qutest as a DAC only, to feed a preamp or integrated amp to drive speakers that need more power than TT2 and provide and never listen to headphones, then mScaler may be the next best step for you. If you listen to headphones also or have efficient speakers, TT2 would be more versatile and you wouldn’t be paying for unused capabilities.
thanks for your opinion. At the moment I use headphones mostly and I am just looking for an improvement for my headphones. I guess TT2 makes more sense and that I can use it as a headphone amp too.

Mar 11, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #15,058 of 18,478
@givemefocalutopia, I bought my TT2 as an upgrade from the Qutest to specifically drive my Utopia’s before I got a fully balanced Woo WA22 hp amplifier to drive them. Are you using stock hp cables, or do you have something better at this time?

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #15,059 of 18,478
@givemefocalutopia, I bought my TT2 as an upgrade from the Qutest to specifically drive my Utopia’s before I got a fully balanced Woo WA22 hp amplifier to drive them. Are you using stock hp cables, or do you have something better at this time?
I am using stock cables for Utopia. I have a decent headphone amp so amping capability is not really required. Looking for ways I can improve from my Utopia + Qutest.

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #15,060 of 18,478
I am using stock cables for Utopia. I have a decent headphone amp so amping capability is not really required. Looking for ways I can improve from my Utopia + Qutest.
Well by next weekend I will have received the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable for my newly acquired Utopia's I'm expecting great results from these cables as my Stellia's had a big improvement when I bought the Moon Audio Black Dragons for my Stellia's. My Qutest will have had a few hours to settle down too.
I'm still thinking that the M Scaler will be the icing on the cake with the Qutest then ultimately the Dave to replace the Qutest and keep the M Scaler.
It's and expensive hobby but I'm keeping my Pathos Inpol Ear as the main headphone amp as it just does the job so well.

Just to add I think it will be a while before I upgrade again then perhaps there will be a Dave 2 and M Scaler 2, the Pathos and Utopia's will stay though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back