Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 8, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #15,031 of 18,478
The cables sits good. Dave shows 705,6Khz. No other sources except Aries Auralic. No other cables except 2xbnc and 1x usb. Dave is on PCM +. It was the first impression. I will certainly be giving HMS a chance and will be waiting for the rest of my system to come (riviera) and check it then. I have found some other cables (Baldur) and they sound a bit better (more dynamic) then the orig. one. I am not sure if I want to invest 2000Euro for a pair of wave cables just to check it out.

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #15,032 of 18,478
The BNC Cables are connected/going to the correct location numbers aren’t they? 1 to 1, 2 to 2...? A mistake easily made… Also, try a different USB cable, maybe an upgraded one?

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #15,033 of 18,478
The cables sits good. Dave shows 705,6Khz. No other sources except Aries Auralic. No other cables except 2xbnc and 1x usb. Dave is on PCM +. It was the first impression. I will certainly be giving HMS a chance and will be waiting for the rest of my system to come (riviera) and check it then. I have found some other cables (Baldur) and they sound a bit better (more dynamic) then the orig. one. I am not sure if I want to invest 2000Euro for a pair of wave cables just to check it out.

Ive read alot and agree its best not to keep switching back and forth trying to hear the difference but just make it on.. relax, listen and just focus on the individual instruments and the nuances in the sound. Forget the gear and enjoy music😉

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #15,034 of 18,478
Ive read alot and agree its best not to keep switching back and forth trying to hear the difference but just make it on.. relax, listen and just focus on the individual instruments and the nuances in the sound. Forget the gear and enjoy music😉
Agreed. Switching between the different upsampling is minimal and it's better to just back and listen on max upsampling. The biggest difference comes from completly unplugging it and going back to solo TT2/Dave.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #15,036 of 18,478
Mar 8, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #15,037 of 18,478
Maybe a silly question.. but did you check if the bnc's snap locked good.. i (and many others) had a bad connector.. so i exchanged them directly. Anyway Dave should state 705.6/786khz on white SR. If not one coax cable has no contact or they might be swapped.

Further try to have nothing else connected to HMS and Dave other than 1 source.
Optical from source to HMS is RF free for sure.
Is Dave on PCM+ not DSD+ ?
Use no upsampling in your source player and play native bit perfect output. No EQ or other effects.

Try listen to live and mic recorded tracks if you have any.. its real room acoustics that shine most with HMS imo

I found the same issue and queried this via my Dealer who then passed the question on to Chord. There was no real resolve to my question/ issue in the end. I suppose it boils down to quality of music it's fed and from what grade of equipment. In addition, those standard BNC Cables are only supplied to 'get you going'. You must invest in some High Grade BNC Cables. I do not belive that DAVE or MScaler need 'burn in'. They are fully operational from the start. But.... there will be a few who may disagree on this aspect. Try to place the Mscaler away from the DAVE as much as possible and see if this alters anything initially.
Hi, I am using an Mscaler and Dave combination, with an OpticalRendu, Pathos inpol ear hp amp, and listening through ZMF Verite Open. I find that the Mscaler actually brings more detail, better imaging/separation and smooths out the sound of the Dave. I use Moon Audio Dragon BNC cables which are definitely better than the stock cables. I think the sound will improve when you put the riviera aic in the chain. I found that using the Dave HP amp is ok, but not great. You should check to see if crossfeed is active on the Dave. If you don't want crossfeed, you have to manually set it to 0 (zero). If you select crossfeed it will stay on even after you disengage headphone mode. Also, I like the Phase Positive setting on the Dave. Lastly, make sure the Video button (front left) on the Dave is off. If you end up liking the combo you could also get a LPS power supply for the Mscaler. Farad makes a good one. Enjoy your music!

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #15,038 of 18,478
Thank your for your reply. I will definitely be getting better BNC cables but am not willing to spend 2000 euro. Other suggestions to good BNC Cables here? Do you use Crossfeed? I have my settings on 0. I will not be getting rid of HMS before trying it out mir Riviera and will definitely be sharing my experiences here.
->Musikfan. Have you tried many other streamer before setting on OpticalRendu? I am afraid streamer will be my next "project".
I do not know is it the other Cable or the whisky or is the HMS warmed up but the Musik is getting better this evening:wink:.

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #15,039 of 18,478
Thank your for your reply. I will definitely be getting better BNC cables but am not willing to spend 2000 euro. Other suggestions to good BNC Cables here? Do you use Crossfeed? I have my settings on 0. I will not be getting rid of HMS before trying it out mir Riviera and will definitely be sharing my experiences here.
->Musikfan. Have you tried many other streamer before setting on OpticalRendu? I am afraid streamer will be my next "project".
I do not know is it the other Cable or the whisky or is the HMS warmed up but the Musik is getting better this evening:wink:.
Hi, I use minimal crossfeed (1 or 2), but you can definitely experiment with that setting. Be careful with the BNC cables. The Dave/Mscaler BNC connectors for me are very finicky and 2 BNC cables that I tried did not work. Im sure most will, but i was surprised that some cables wouldn't work. The Moon Audio cables did work and its connectors are very snug. I've used 2 other streamers, but for me the OpticalRendu is very good. I use it with an EtherREGEN which I find is a great combination. Hope this helps.

Mar 10, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #15,040 of 18,478
I’m thinking about buying the M Scaler possibly a dumb question but I have a large collection of HDCD’s would putting the M scaler before the Qutest and connected to my cdt XR transport give the sort of improvement the burr browns did in my old CD player?

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #15,041 of 18,478
I’m thinking about buying the M Scaler possibly a dumb question but I have a large collection of HDCD’s would putting the M scaler before the Qutest and connected to my cdt XR transport give the sort of improvement the burr browns did in my old CD player?
I personally think your better off upgrading to a TT2 first. The improvement will be much greater.

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #15,042 of 18,478
I personally think your better off upgrading to a TT2 first. The improvement will be much greater.
I already have a Pathos Inpol Ear but I'm after a better standalone DAC ( the Pathos has one but I'd prefer an upgraded one )which I have with the Qutest ultimately putting the M Scaler is just the icing on the cake but before I buy one I'd like to know. I have sent an e-mail to Chord asking the question.

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #15,043 of 18,478
I already have a Pathos Inpol Ear but I'm after a better standalone DAC ( the Pathos has one but I'd prefer an upgraded one )which I have with the Qutest ultimately putting the M Scaler is just the icing on the cake but before I buy one I'd like to know. I have sent an e-mail to Chord asking the question.
Do you expect anyone in that company to say no?

Maybe you can borrow one to listen for yourself, that is one way to know for sure.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #15,044 of 18,478
Do you expect anyone in that company to say no?

Maybe you can borrow one to listen for yourself, that is one way to know for sure.
Actually Chord have replied with a very honest answer. So full credit to Chord for their straightforward reply. The answer to my question is no due to Pacific Microsonics hardware being no longer available.

Mar 10, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #15,045 of 18,478
Actually Chord have replied with a very honest answer. So full credit to Chord for their straightforward reply. The answer to my question is no due to Pacific Microsonics hardware being no longer available.
I went that same route.. HMS makes a great improvement of Qutest.. imo its the best 1st step.. even if later you go to TT2 or Dave.. you will want to keep HMS with those too.
HDCD is PCM based and will benefit alot from Mtap WTA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back