Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 4, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #15,091 of 18,478
Dodgy Power Input?

My Chord M-Scaler arrived last weekend and I had a great time playing favourite CDs. I've only just had a chance to use the M-Scaler again - and have discovered a major problem with my unit: the power cable keeps falling out.

In fact, if I even touch the power cable, all the lights on the M-Scaler go out and on again.

Re-inserting the power cable, one realises that only the last millimetre (or so) of the plug is engaging with the unit. It would appear that the internals of the power socket have somehow been located too far inside the unit, such that the connection is delicate in the extreme.

(I only noticed this because I was connecting a second BNC input and realised how dodgy the power input was.)

I don't recall my loan unit being this flakey - has anyone else had this issue?
I’ve noticed that my mScaler power cord seems to be prone to falling out if jostled. I just try to keep it set up and separate and it has been working steadily. There may be a little of a spec issue on these cases, or it’s just you (and me).

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #15,092 of 18,478
I’ve noticed that my mScaler power cord seems to be prone to falling out if jostled
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like very poor quality control to me. It's almost impossible to change settings without the entire unit going into meltdown as the power cable wobbles around. Doesn't instill much confidence, does it? And what of the long term stability of the unit if the power cable is teetering on the edge of connection/disconnection?

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #15,093 of 18,478
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like very poor quality control to me. It's almost impossible to change settings without the entire unit going into meltdown as the power cable wobbles around. Doesn't instill much confidence, does it? And what of the long term stability of the unit if the power cable is teetering on the edge of connection/disconnection?
Mine is rock solid, as it should be. Yours is unacceptable, do not put up with it. Get it replaced, or get your money back. It might be the MScaler itself, it might be the connector on the power supply (which I think Chord will buy in).

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #15,095 of 18,478
Mine is rock solid, as it should be. Yours is unacceptable, do not put up with it
Thanks. I shall get onto my dealer tomorrow morning. It's infuriating, as I had to wait weeks for this unit to arrive (and I've been told to expect another four weeks for my DAVE to show up).

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #15,096 of 18,478
Thanks. I shall get onto my dealer tomorrow morning. It's infuriating, as I had to wait weeks for this unit to arrive (and I've been told to expect another four weeks for my DAVE to show up).
Think of it like this. You gave a lot of money (money which I dare say wasn't easy to come by) to a dealer for an absolutely top of the range product. Your money worked perfectly. It went into your dealers bank account. Every dollar of it. The product you got in exchange should work perfectly too. It's not on you to find a work round, to put up with it, to try and change a connector. It's on your dealer to give you what you paid for and what you have every right to expect.

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #15,097 of 18,478
...it's a sleeve, not a connector. Essentially, it takes up that wee bit of slack.

If it's the stock power cable, it's understandable to be irked by the loose fit.

But, it's a version of "stacking tolerance" issues. The IEC fixture tolerance has +/- variation and the plug has +/- tolerance. So, if you have a spec value "plus" on one end and a spec value "minus" on the other...it's a little loose.

Shunyata shipped one of those sleeves on the $7,000.00 Omega XC. Plugging into a Taiko Extreme! It's part of manufacturing.

Not making you happy, I know. I was pissed when I plugged up the Extreme...so I used the sleeve. Happiness. Honestly, good luck. I'm not intending to make light of your displeasure. I fully understand it...

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #15,098 of 18,478
...it's a sleeve, not a connector. Essentially, it takes up that wee bit of slack.

If it's the stock power cable, it's understandable to be irked by the loose fit.

But, it's a version of "stacking tolerance" issues. The IEC fixture tolerance has +/- variation and the plug has +/- tolerance. So, if you have a spec value "plus" on one end and a spec value "minus" on the other...it's a little loose.
I appreciate the suggestion - thanks :wink:

Just to clarify, this is the cylindrical (coaxial) power plug for the M-Scaler. I'm wondering if either the female part is too far recessed and/or Chord has sourced another power brick which comes with a slightly different (and looser) male plug. This would seem to rely mainly on friction (against a metal clip) for retention, but there is a tiny annular indentation right at the end - which doesn't seem aligned with the metal clip. Consequently, the loose fit and lack of "click/clip" causes the plug to come out. Even forced into place, I'm concerned as to the possibility of power on/off sparking.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #15,100 of 18,478
I completed a little tweak and upgrade today that has very much improved the sound quality of my system. I received a single WAVE Storm BNC cable to use as a way to bypass my HMS’s Amanero USB input in sequence with an Audiowise SRC.DX USB to DX Bridge. Thank you @Triode User
Hello, I have a big dilema.
I use the MScaler + TT2 with Wave Storm dual BNC cables.
My source is a Innuos Zen.
I am considering the SRC DX USB to DX.
Question is: what will benefit more sound quality wise in using the pair of Wave storm cables from the SRC to MScaler or from the MScaler to the TT2? I have another pair of homemade, silver BNC cables.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #15,101 of 18,478
Question is: what will benefit more sound quality wise in using the pair of Wave storm cables from the SRC to MScaler or from the MScaler to the TT2? I have another pair of homemade, silver BNC cables.
Thank you.
I think my 2p would be to keep them between the Mscaler and TT2.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #15,102 of 18,478
Thank you.
Put your money towards a DAVE. At the very least get a demo of a DAVE in your system. Then you’ll know.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #15,103 of 18,478
Put your money towards a DAVE. At the very least get a demo of a DAVE in your system. Then you’ll know.
I would agree but I was thinking about a 400€ purchase and not 10k.

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #15,104 of 18,478
Thank you.
@GhiAB, I’m assuming that you’re using the Innuos Zen MK3 which is a very nice music server indeed. https://innuos.com/zen-mk3/. Okay, I’m very jealous. :ksc75smile: What you’re wanting to do is bypass the less then fantastic Amanero USB input on your M Scaler by connecting your Innuos server via USB to the SRC.DX, and then using one BNC cable from the SRC.DX to connect to your M Scaler. You would only need two BNC cables from the SRC.DX if your streaming signal from the Innuos was higher than 192kHz. As you can see in the pictures Nick Bacon at WAVE High Fidelity talked me into getting a third WAVE Storm cable. And I’m glad that I did because I was using a single Moon Audio Silver Dragon BNC from the SRC.DX to my HMS before I got the WAVE Storm BNC, and oh my what a difference in sound quality the Storm BNC cable made.

I bought my SRC.DX from Nick, even though he’s in the UK and I’m in Wisconsin, because his customer sevice is absolutely the best. Now I think that I’m right about what you need to do here, but it wouldn’t hurt to email Nick at WAVE High Fidelity just to make sure. He’s super great about answering his emails. And yes for now keep your dual Storm BNC’s between your HMS and TT2.

Attachments

• 2B40D35F-7A7E-47BE-858F-A6E789BC1A05.jpeg
    2B40D35F-7A7E-47BE-858F-A6E789BC1A05.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #15,105 of 18,478

Users who are viewing this thread

Back