Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #14,686 of 18,613
Hi All, just wanted to flag that my Black M Scaler is up for sale in the classifieds. Almost 2 years warranty remaining, and in as new condition with all boxes and accessories. Reason for sale is that my ears are starting to deteriorate unfortunately, so I'm selling off most of my HiFi gear.
@petertheroadie, I’m sorry to learn of your deteriorating level of hearing sir. It just so happens that everything on my gear rack is black with the exception of my M Scaler. Fortunately my OCD is better under control these days. Good luck on the sale. I’m sure someone will take it off of your hands.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #14,687 of 18,613
Thanks for those thoughts on DH Labs optical cables. I have dipped into this conversation about different optical cables because I have finally got a streamer with an optical output and have been trying it into the MScaler. So far the results have been very disappointing (smeared sound, indistinct bass etc) compared to usb or bnc spdif and I wondered if this could be down to the optical cable. Are there any others available in the uk that are worth trying to see if I can get optical to sound as good as the other options?
A change of component can often imbalance a system.

I suspect the sound quality problems you are having with optical are simply that the rest of the system has been assembled to soften the problems you've heard with electrical connections. It could be the XLR or speaker cables that are actually smeary/indistinct-bass sounding - this is definitely a problem found with analogue cables over the last 40 years or so. There's also the amplifiers and speakers.

Your analogue cables are in my opinion the most likely source of the problems you have with smear/indistinct bass. Of course, being willing to go down the rabbit hole of analogue cables is another matter.

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #14,688 of 18,613
Thanks for those thoughts on DH Labs optical cables. I have dipped into this conversation about different optical cables because I have finally got a streamer with an optical output and have been trying it into the MScaler. So far the results have been very disappointing (smeared sound, indistinct bass etc) compared to usb or bnc spdif and I wondered if this could be down to the optical cable. Are there any others available in the uk that are worth trying to see if I can get optical to sound as good as the other options?
I use WIREWORLD optical and the BNC cable in the BOX of the 2YU
With the 2go2yu on HMS, I had compared BNC versus optical.
I found that i have to place just one ferrite on the BNC cable for an equal result.
Before i was thinking that optical is always better than BNC. Now i prefer BNC because sometimes 192kHz optical is difficult with some equipment.
But it is possible because the 2go2yu and the HMS are on power bank.

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #14,689 of 18,613
Since I am in position to try out optical vs usb input from streamer to the M Scaler finally may I ask you @Triode User which streamer are you using?

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #14,690 of 18,613
Since I am in position to try out optical vs usb input from streamer to the M Scaler finally may I ask you @Triode User which streamer are you using?
Antipodes K50 which has USB, BNC and optical outputs amongst others.

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #14,691 of 18,613
Desktop Mojo or new mini m scaler? :grin:

270048516_4191682367598419_7427360553900906916_n.jpg

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #14,693 of 18,613
Looks more like Choral form factor to me so I’m thinking 2nd Gen M-Scaler. There is the height to width ratio that looks more like Choral than Mojo. There are also 3 feet like Choral products (see the middle one at the back), rather 4 feet like the Mojo.
If it would be Choral then those buttons would be really big. It is Mojo2.

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #14,695 of 18,613
Jan 16, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #14,696 of 18,613
Looks more like Choral form factor to me so I’m thinking 2nd Gen M-Scaler. There is the height to width ratio that looks more like Choral than Mojo. There are also 3 feet like Choral products (see the middle one at the back), rather 4 feet like the Mojo.
Not sure what you see in the middle as a third foot actually is. If you download the image and wind up the brightness and contrast it looks to me like it might be a mini-usb port, maybe, but it is not a foot. (If it is a mojo2, what does that imply about the 2Go?)

75BA683A-AC8A-4582-8FA1-91CF013BA1C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #14,699 of 18,613
Does anyone know if we can use poly with this ?

If we can that would be soooooo cool, it just means that I would have to buy a new van nuys case for it, but if poly cant fit on it, well, I still have my mojo and poly and those two alone are excellent. But I’m intrigued with its spider like eyes, which I’m sure chord did that deliberately due to my arachnophobia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back