Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 19, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #14,626 of 18,495
As you suggest, contacting Chord would seem like a smart move for @opienor because it might turn out to be a simple fix at home item. If not then at least he will have explored that option.
Optical sockets are produced in such large quantities that one would hope that they are not impacted by the silicon supply chain issues.

However even when ordering presents online at the moment, I received email alerts warning that there are already delays of several weeks when shipping items between europe and UK. If there was such a delay shipping the MScaler to the UK, and then the same delay shipping the repaired MScaler back to opienor, then it could seem attractive to do a 5 minute repair at home, or alternatively wait until the end of january, when presumably the christmas shipping delays will be no more.

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #14,627 of 18,495
Optical sockets are produced in such large quantities that one would hope that they are not impacted by the silicon supply chain issues.

However even when ordering presents online at the moment, I received email alerts warning that there are already delays of several weeks when shipping items between europe and UK. If there was such a delay shipping the MScaler to the UK, and then the same delay shipping the repaired MScaler back to opienor, then it could seem attractive to do a 5 minute repair at home, or alternatively wait until the end of january, when presumably the christmas shipping delays will be no more.
Yes I fear you are right regarding shipping times on most items these days. Would be best if I can fix this easily myself or maybe Chord arranges it to be repaired here in Norway via my local dealer where I bought it. I will write them an email now and keep you posted when I get a response.

Dec 19, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #14,628 of 18,495
Yes I fear you are right regarding shipping times on most items these days. Would be best if I can fix this easily myself or maybe Chord arranges it to be repaired here in Norway via my local dealer where I bought it. I will write them an email now and keep you posted when I get a response.
OK. Yes it will normally be best to contact Chord and follow their advice.
This time of year, the shipping times can normally be unpredictable, or very long, because of Christmas.
The broken door, although frustrating, should not stop the port working if you want to use MScaler during the christmas period. Given that scenario, then maybe it will be best to agree shipping to Chord during Jan, when things will be more predictable.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #14,629 of 18,495
Yes I think I have read that somewhere so will try noise shaper disabled in PGGB.
PGGB sounds great even with the mscaler noise shaper. I’ve been running EX usb to SRC-DX with dual coax into mscaler. Love the purple ball in dual mode. At present I’ve returned to usb from EX direct to usb on mscaler. Look forward to your findings.

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #14,630 of 18,495
I’ve been running EX usb to SRC-DX with dual coax into mscaler. Love the purple ball in dual mode.
Interesting. Do you think there’s any benefit to SRC-DX dual coax for sample rates of 192kHz and less?

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #14,631 of 18,495
Interesting. Do you think there’s any benefit to SRC-DX dual coax for sample rates of 192kHz and less?
No I don’t think so. Single coax is good to 384k. I only used the dual to play my 16fs pggb files.

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #14,632 of 18,495
No, not dual coax because one of the outputs on the SRC-DX is redundant at those frequencies. However using the SRC-DX with just a single bnc cable sure has an audible effect.

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #14,633 of 18,495
OK. Yes it will normally be best to contact Chord and follow their advice.
This time of year, the shipping times can normally be unpredictable, or very long, because of Christmas.
The broken door, although frustrating, should not stop the port working if you want to use MScaler during the christmas period. Given that scenario, then maybe it will be best to agree shipping to Chord during Jan, when things will be more predictable.

I grabbed a brand new still sealed 3070Ti from ebay a couple of days ago and it arrived the very next day and that was with standard shipping, dont ask how much I paid for it, as I got scalped but, I really needed a gpu upgrade. After buying that I got a samsung g7 32” monitor and 7TB of M2 ssd’s, oh and my third set of thrustmaster warthog joystick and throttle and also grabbed the F18 stick at the same time. Everything arrived the next day. I think due to covid delivery companies are power hiring drivers to get things delivered asap.

Dec 20, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #14,634 of 18,495
I grabbed a brand new still sealed 3070Ti from ebay a couple of days ago and it arrived the very next day and that was with standard shipping, dont ask how much I paid for it, as I got scalped but, I really needed a gpu upgrade. After buying that I got a samsung g7 32” monitor and 7TB of M2 ssd’s, oh and my third set of thrustmaster warthog joystick and throttle and also grabbed the F18 stick at the same time. Everything arrived the next day. I think due to covid delivery companies are power hiring drivers to get things delivered asap.
These days retailers need to get online and deliver or they are finished. I think that will remain even after the apocalypse.

Dec 23, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #14,635 of 18,495
These days retailers need to get online and deliver or they are finished. I think that will remain even after the apocalypse.

Just look at John Lewis, they closed all their stores but kept their online business going. Adapt or die!!!

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #14,636 of 18,495
When music downloads are offered from the same vendor in a range of resolutions, what should sound better through MScaler - PCM 24-192 or DSD128, DSD256 ??
A personal favourite is 24-352, but if that isn’t offered what should sound better? The vendor downsampled 24-192 or the MScaler downsampled DSD128/DSD256 (to 24-704)?

Dec 23, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #14,637 of 18,495
When music downloads are offered from the same vendor in a range of resolutions, what should sound better through MScaler - PCM 24-192 or DSD128, DSD256 ??
A personal favourite is 24-352, but if that isn’t offered what should sound better? The vendor downsampled 24-192 or the MScaler downsampled DSD128/DSD256 (to 24-704)?

I will get the original or native recording. I. E. If the native is dsd64, even though there is dsd512 or 24-352 available, I will still buy dsd64 and let the HMS do the upsampling.

That is the reason why we bought the HMS.

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #14,638 of 18,495
I'm thinking about adding M Scaler and an streamer to Hugo TT2 to make it more smooth sounding like Rockna Wavelight. After some research the most reasonable streamer in terms of tech specs, size and budget seems to me Lumin U1 Mini. I've found few U1 Mini owners posts in this thread but would like to ask if such pairing makes sense, if so should it be USB connected or do you guys recommend another input and how well it works with Android and iPhone?

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #14,639 of 18,495
Streamer without optical output is a severe mistake in my opinion. Most of the internet tells you otherwise. What the rest of the internet doesn't tell you is that it will take you years of head-scratching and vast amounts of money to "beat" optical.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #14,640 of 18,495
Streamer without optical output is a severe mistake in my opinion. Most of the internet tells you otherwise. What the rest of the internet doesn't tell you is that it will take you years of head-scratching and vast amounts of money to "beat" optical.
I think this is more complicated than that. I think the statement is true because Chord Pulse Array DAC is so jitter immune that it can take Toslink optical signal with fairly high jitter and still get no jitter on DAC playback. This is definitely not what I've found with my previous non-Chord DACs in the past where a low-jitter USB/S/PDIF source always beat out a Toslink source. The real problem is that Chord DACs are so revealing, it's very easy now to hear the noise from USB or S/PDIF sources whereas with some other non-Chord DACs, the sonic differences are still there, but they're dwarfed by other distortions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back