Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 18, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #14,611 of 18,483
I have Audivarna on trial at the moment which ends next weekend. How did you find it compared with Roon + for SQ? I already use Qobuz, Thanks
@eastsoutheast, I’ve found that ROON brought the best sound and ease of use over that of Audirvana.

Dec 19, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #14,612 of 18,483
Thought I would make myself another set of Cylindrical ferrite core BNC cables over Christmas but after searching a few stockists they are all sold out until Feb/March next year.

Have you been buying all the Cylindrical ferrite core beads Nick @Triode User? could have left me 40 of them.

Didn’t reply yesterday because we were on our way out to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary at a local restaurant. How did time fly like that? One day I was a wet behind the ears 21 year old groom and now I am a 66 year old juvenile delinquent!.

I’m sorry but can’t help with your dilemma. When you listed the part number of the ferrites you used for your DIY copy I looked them up in my records and saw that I had rejected them in favour of different ones. It must just be the current vagaries of the component supply chain causing the supply issue. 👍 Have you bought a second Mscaler to need two sets of cables? Good luck with the search.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #14,614 of 18,483
Dec 19, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #14,615 of 18,483
Thought I would make myself another set of Cylindrical ferrite core BNC cables over Christmas but after searching a few stockists they are all sold out until Feb/March next year.

Have you been buying all the Cylindrical ferrite core beads Nick @Triode User? could have left me 40 of them.
Have you bought yourself another DAVE?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #14,616 of 18,483
Didn’t reply yesterday because we were on our way out to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary at a local restaurant. How did time fly like that? One day I was a wet behind the ears 21 year old groom and now I am a 66 year old juvenile delinquent!.
Congratulations. It's a rare achievement. :beerchug:

She must be a saint... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #14,617 of 18,483

I’m sorry but can’t help with your dilemma. When you listed the part number of the ferrites you used for your DIY copy I looked them up in my records and saw that I had rejected them in favour of different ones. It must just be the current vagaries of the component supply chain causing the supply issue. 👍 Have you bought a second Mscaler to need two sets of cables? Good luck with the search.
I have those cables connected all the time from dual BNC out M Scaleer to dual BNC Dac going from EX server using the powered socket 1 USB output on the back going direct to USB M Scaler input.

I have never tried dual input into M Scaler using SCR-DX with PGGB files at max so I thought I would try by using the other non powered socket 2 USB output on my EX server with ifi idefender+ to give it power going into SCR-DX USB input then dual coax out going into dual BNC inputs on M Scaler.

Using a PGGB 768kHz file I can confirm that the MScaler now has dual input selection available to select and works and the OPSR is showing the full PGGB file.

To select between the two inputs on the M Scaler I just access EX Sever panel and they show as USB Audio - AudioWise and the other as USB Audio -AUDIO Chord.

I have always used the SCR-DX dual BNC out direct to Dual BNC input Dac but it is nice to have this option for those with limited Dual inputs on there Dac.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #14,618 of 18,483
So the cover of one of my M Scaler Toslink inputs just fell off. One of those microscopic plastic "hinge" tabs has broken off. As this is a pretty crappy design I suspect others have experienced the same. Any tips for fixing it? I guess I could send it in for repair but that will probably leave me without it for a long time. I have looked at old Apple TVs and other boxes I have lying around but they all look slightly different.

Dec 19, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #14,621 of 18,483
You have stated that 'is a pretty crappy design'.
Optical sockets with doors have been the standard for decades - they would not have been adopted as the standard, if they represented bad design, and kept breaking easily.
They are so common, that there must be hundreds of millions of them out in the wild.
All I can suggest is email Chord and ask for the part number, and then you should be able to find one on google, and replace the door for a few euros.

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #14,622 of 18,483
I have those cables connected all the time from dual BNC out M Scaleer to dual BNC Dac going from EX server using the powered socket 1 USB output on the back going direct to USB M Scaler input.

I never new you can dual input into M Scaler using SCR-DX so I have tried using the other non powered socket 2 USB output on my EX server with ifi idefender+ to give it power going into SCR-DX USB input then dual coax out going into dual BNC inputs on M Scaler.

Using a PGGB 768kHz file I can confirm that the MScaler now has dual input selection available to select and works and the OPSR is showing the full PGGB file.

Easy to select between the two inputs I have to M Scaler as they show up in the EX Sever panel as one shows as USB Audio - AudioWise and the other as USB - Audio-Chord.

Ah, I almost wondered if that was what you were looking to do. That would make a pretty flexible system. The only thing possibly is that I think the mscaler noise shapes even when it passes through a high res file without upscaling so maybe the PGGB files should be processed with noise shaping disabled? Just a thought.

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #14,623 of 18,483
You have stated that 'is a pretty crappy design'.
Optical sockets with doors have been the standard for decades - they would not have been adopted as the standard, if they represented bad design, and kept breaking easily.
They are so common, that there must be hundreds of millions of them out in the wild.
All I can suggest is email Chord and ask for the part number, and then you should be able to find one on google, and replace the door for a few euros.

I had the flap break off on one on my Qutest. I did think about trying to find which flap fitted but Chord said they would fix it under warranty and which of course was easy and fast as I am in the UK. I have no idea whether they fitted a whole new socket or whether they themselves just pushed on a new flap. As you suggest, contacting Chord would seem like a smart move for @opienor because it might turn out to be a simple fix at home item. If not then at least he will have explored that option.

Dec 19, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #14,624 of 18,483
Ah, I almost wondered if that was what you were looking to do. That would make a pretty flexible system. The only thing possibly is that I think the mscaler noise shapes even when it passes through a high res file without upscaling so maybe the PGGB files should be processed with noise shaping disabled? Just a thought.
Yes I think I have read that somewhere so will try noise shaper disabled in PGGB.

Dec 19, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #14,625 of 18,483
I had the flap break off on one on my Qutest. I did think about trying to find which flap fitted but Chord said they would fix it under warranty and which of course was easy and fast as I am in the UK. I have no idea whether they fitted a whole new socket or whether they themselves just pushed on a new flap. As you suggest, contacting Chord would seem like a smart move for @opienor because it might turn out to be a simple fix at home item. If not then at least he will have explored that option.
Thank you! I will email Chord to check out the options. The whole socket almost looks like a cartridge so I guess it´s an easy fix even if the whole thing has to be replaced.
Here is a picture of the flap and the tab that broke off. I stand by my statement that this could have been done better by whoever makes these😀

Attachments

• DSC_0647_1.jpg
    DSC_0647_1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back