Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 4, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #11,176 of 18,516
At the end of the day you have spent a stupefying amount of money on servers, cables, supports and exotica but you only have a TT2. Wouldn’t it have been wiser to have bought a DAVE? Or are you saying a wire can make a bigger difference?

Everyone of these things matter just as much or maybe more with a DAVE. DAVE would not be a smart investment if if left me with no additional funds to give it a proper support, cabling, etc. It tends to be that a system can only be as transparent/resolving as the least transparent/resolving component or cable in the signal path.

I think the biggest mistake most folks make is upgrading to another component before getting to hear what their current component is really capable of. What might have been limiting their enjoyment was most likely something other than the component they upgraded - so the problem gets carried forward.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #11,178 of 18,516
Somehow this was kind of overlooked :)

MacbookPro > USB > HMS > BNC > Dave > XLR > Phonitor Amp > HP

My issue is tingling/ static buzz of the M Scaler unit.
Is this normal?!
It happens when Macbook is running on battery or connected to power (no difference).
Its also apparent on standby, as long as HMS is connected to power.
When Macbook plugged in, the tingling additionally kind of jumps all over the place in my chain, but I can avoid that by using MBP on battery.
The complete chain is connected to a single power strip which is plugged to wall.

I got rid of the HMS tingling by grounding HMS via Dave with additional connection between the two.

BUT i wonder if this grounding fix influences/compromises the noise avoiding features (galvanic isolation) of the Dave/M Scaler unit and therefore SQ
as circuit boards are now grounded as a unit.

Last but not least I wonder if every HMS owner experiences this tingling. I read somewhere here its a common thing?

Thank you again.

@Rob Watts

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #11,179 of 18,516
Personally would rather use a DAVE w/ printer cables than a TT2 w/ decrapifiers... :p

I saw your smiley face so this post isn’t directed at you.

It’s always been baffling to me that someone would spend lots of money on a DAC and then very intentionally not want to get the best out of it. I really do think there are those who would use a printer cable if it was what Rob suggested.

The only thing that seemed to explain this was that sound quality wasn’t such a person’s highest priority. Instead maybe it was the feeling they got from owning a product designed by one of the most brilliant minds in the industry. Might there be some prestige or status they derive from their Chord product that is more important to them than getting the best sound from it?

What evidence might there be that could bolster my theory? Well if status and prestige were the foremost aim of an individual, certainly they would want that status and prestige preserved. No way would they be the ones to go against Rob’s advice and actually try to see what improvements come from a better music server. “What Rob says” has to be the standard else maybe the house of cards comes tumbling down - as if finding a chink in his armor might tarnish the status and prestige derived from his products. I’d imagine they’d also not take too kindly to anyone preaching a different gospel. Well-intentioned advice from a person who has greatly enhanced their own listening enjoyment by doing what Rob says you need not (or should not) do wouldn’t be welcomed - and might actually be scorned.

I’m not saying that this might be going on here. I just think that it’s important to recognize that we each have different reasons for why we love our Chord products. We should respect those differences and maybe quit trying to change each other’s minds. Those who refuse to hear what a better music sever might bring to a TT2 or DAVE have their reasons and there’s likely nothing you can do to change their mind. Likewise those who have elected to let their ears decide for them aren’t going to have their minds changed either.

Personally speaking, I’ve been tickled pink that my HMS/TT2 combo sounds sooooo much better today than when they first landed here. As a funny aside, a friend had brought his Super3 over a while back. When we connected it to my TT2 my immediate reaction was “Are you kidding me? I can really have sound quality like this in my own home for that small of an investment!!” I honestly couldn’t believe that a product I actually owned could produce the tone and timbre I was hearing - and all that was needed to bring it out was this $500 power supply. This finding only enhanced my respect for Rob’s genius. The HMS and TT2 are far, far better than their excellent reviews say that they are. I still can’t believe that I actually own products that can produce such gorgeous tone and bring music to life the way these products can. Rob, thank you so very much.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #11,180 of 18,516
Rob's position on USB cables (or words to the effect) if I am correct. I think I saw someone quote this.

Position of the cable away from RFI sources, is important. Then you can use budget cables.

-----------------------------------

I personally use a USB extension cable from my PC, and put a Jitterbug on the end of it. Then use a very short cable from the Jitterbug to the DAC.

Secondly the input to the TT2, Qutest, and Hugo 2 which I have, are all noise filtered anyway. … It seems pointless to spend another bean more. Unless I could find 15cm shielded cables to run from the Jitterbug to the DAC. But like said, my DAC USB inputs are filtered.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #11,181 of 18,516
I saw your smiley face so this post isn’t directed at you.

It’s always been baffling to me that someone would spend lots of money on a DAC and then very intentionally not want to get the best out of it. I really do think there are those who would use a printer cable if it was what Rob suggested.

The only thing that seemed to explain this was that sound quality wasn’t such a person’s highest priority. Instead maybe it was the feeling they got from owning a product designed by one of the most brilliant minds in the industry. Might there be some prestige or status they derive from their Chord product that is more important to them than getting the best sound from it?

What evidence might there be that could bolster my theory? Well if status and prestige were the foremost aim of an individual, certainly they would want that status and prestige preserved. No way would they be the ones to go against Rob’s advice and actually try to see what improvements come from a better music server. “What Rob says” has to be the standard else maybe the house of cards comes tumbling down - as if finding a chink in his armor might tarnish the status and prestige derived from his products. I’d imagine they’d also not take too kindly to anyone preaching a different gospel. Well-intentioned advice from a person who has greatly enhanced their own listening enjoyment by doing what Rob says you need not (or should not) do wouldn’t be welcomed - and might actually be scorned.

I’m not saying that this might be going on here. I just think that it’s important to recognize that we each have different reasons for why we love our Chord products. We should respect those differences and maybe quit trying to change each other’s minds. Those who refuse to hear what a better music sever might bring to a TT2 or DAVE have their reasons and there’s likely nothing you can do to change their mind. Likewise those who have elected to let their ears decide for them aren’t going to have their minds changed either.

Personally speaking, I’ve been tickled pink that my HMS/TT2 combo sounds sooooo much better today than when they first landed here. As a funny aside, a friend had brought his Super3 over a while back. When we connected it to my TT2 my immediate reaction was “Are you kidding me? I can really have sound quality like this in my own home for that small of an investment!!” I honestly couldn’t believe that a product I actually owned could produce the tone and timbre I was hearing - and all that was needed to bring it out was this $500 power supply. This finding only enhanced my respect for Rob’s genius. The HMS and TT2 are far, far better than their excellent reviews say that they are. I still can’t believe that I actually own products that can produce such gorgeous tone and bring music to life the way these products can. Rob, thank you so very much.

I totally get what you're saying.

But to be fair, this type of attitude is more related to the members here rather than RW himself.

Unless I am mistaken RW has several times used the quote ...."You know nothing Jon Snow" from Game of Thrones, in reference to himself.

G

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #11,182 of 18,516
What is obvious for me as a relative new audiophile is the following:

The same rules of real world apply also for audiophiles:

- users love to be fanboys of something
- people do not tolerate other opinions (we should know it by now)
- the wisdom of the Socratic paradox is ultra rare
- we do tend to believe more the words of the many instead the experience of the few
- statistically you have the same number of unpleasant persons as you would expect in general

I am always greaful for polite answers and helping words from experiences audiophiles and I try to do the same, if I know the answers.

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #11,184 of 18,516
Somehow this was kind of overlooked :)

MacbookPro > USB > HMS > BNC > Dave > XLR > Phonitor Amp > HP

My issue is tingling/ static buzz of the M Scaler unit.
Is this normal?!
It happens when Macbook is running on battery or connected to power (no difference).
Its also apparent on standby, as long as HMS is connected to power.
When Macbook plugged in, the tingling additionally kind of jumps all over the place in my chain, but I can avoid that by using MBP on battery.
The complete chain is connected to a single power strip which is plugged to wall.

I got rid of the HMS tingling by grounding HMS via Dave with additional connection between the two.

BUT i wonder if this grounding fix influences/compromises the noise avoiding features (galvanic isolation) of the Dave/M Scaler unit and therefore SQ
as circuit boards are now grounded as a unit.

Last but not least I wonder if every HMS owner experiences this tingling. I read somewhere here its a common thing?

Thank you again.

@Rob Watts

It depends upon the mains supply. In the UK, where neutral is connected to ground locally, you won't get a tingle; but it's more noticeable in countries that don't have a ground - my worst experience was in Indonesia and the mains was 317v... The issue is leakage current from the PSU to ground, which is 100uA, so it's at a safe low level. The reason I use this PSU is because I got much better measured and SQ performance from this supply against the many others I tested for TT2, including earthed ones. Actually this one was extraordinarily good, measuring the same as a battery.

You can solve the issue by grounding the chassis, or grounding one of the BNC inputs. Ideally you should ground it away from the DAC - a long length of cable will have a lot of inductance, so reducing the 2GHz noise and improving the isolation.

I totally get what you're saying.

But to be fair, this type of attitude is more related to the members here rather than RW himself.

Unless I am mistaken RW has several times used the quote ...."You know nothing Jon Snow" from Game of Thrones, in reference to himself.

G

Yes but Jon Snow now knows everything about himself... :wink:

But "You know nothing Jon Snow" is an important defence against hubris; there are always more things to learn and discover. The time that one stops recognising that, is when decline starts, or time to vegetate on a beach somewhere.

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #11,185 of 18,516
It depends upon the mains supply. In the UK, where neutral is connected to ground locally, you won't get a tingle; but it's more noticeable in countries that don't have a ground - my worst experience was in Indonesia and the mains was 317v... The issue is leakage current from the PSU to ground, which is 100uA, so it's at a safe low level. The reason I use this PSU is because I got much better measured and SQ performance from this supply against the many others I tested for TT2, including earthed ones. Actually this one was extraordinarily good, measuring the same as a battery.

You can solve the issue by grounding the chassis, or grounding one of the BNC inputs. Ideally you should ground it away from the DAC - a long length of cable will have a lot of inductance, so reducing the 2GHz noise and improving the isolation.

Yes but Jon Snow now knows everything about himself... :wink:

But "You know nothing Jon Snow" is an important defence against hubris; there are always more things to learn and discover. The time that one stops recognising that, is when decline starts, or time to vegetate on a beach somewhere.
@Rob Watts do you experince wide variability when listening to your hifi? One day its good, the next great, the next a bit lifeless ? I recently tidied up the plugs and things, unplugged 2 or 3 smps that were no longer being used, and i'm wonder has that contributed. Just because the last few days the music has extra sparkle lol.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #11,186 of 18,516
I have a TT2 and HMS combo on loan, but I can't tell the difference between a single TT2 and the combo, even with 44/16 files. I know everybody is so overwhelmed by the combo, but is there anyone who feels the same as me?

My ears are not super good, but not super bad either. I can hear the difference between a TT2 and a Hugo 2, and it’s pretty big.

A lot of it I feel is track dependant, some tracks gives me goosebumps, whilst other tracks are not as easy to hear the changes that the mscaler brings to the table. Schiit in, Shchiit out.

However, Good schiit in, better schiit out.

TV and movies sound waaay much better with the mscaler in the loop.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #11,187 of 18,516
@Rob Watts do you experince wide variability when listening to your hifi? One day its good, the next great, the next a bit lifeless ? I recently tidied up the plugs and things, unplugged 2 or 3 smps that were no longer being used, and i'm wonder has that contributed. Just because the last few days the music has extra sparkle lol.

No it's remarkably consistent - with Dave, TT2 and Hugo 2 (no other analogue electronics in my various systems). It used to be horribly inconsistent - in the early 80's the best sound was at 2AM with all the florescent lights off! This was before I discovered RF noise creating noise floor modulation.

The only times it's off is with a cold or having driven for a long time - and then everything suffers.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #11,188 of 18,516

Thank you @Rob Watts,

so this is Germany, the country af safety regulations for everything, so I wonder :)

Could you elaborate how to do the grounding properly?
Right now I connect an extra BNC cable from free HMS-Out to free Dave-In as recommended by Chord support.
The caviat according to support is that galvanic isolation is thus nullified (?) and HMS/Dave are now grounded together.
As far as I understand this means Dave might pick up noise from HMS and vice verca?

Is there a better way? Sorry I don't understand "Ideally you should ground it away from the DAC".
Do you rather recommend a dedicated grounding wire (gutwire comes to mind or groundhog) connected to a different wall socket than the system?

Thanks alot. Very helpful.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #11,189 of 18,516
Ground it to the same wall socket as your Mscaler. Also, the Mscaler and Dave should have their own power separate from each other and everything else.

I use a Furman PST-8D. Dual filtered power strip. 4 sockets from one filter and 4 from the other. This is in the US, I'm sure you can find some equivalent for your area. I also use the ifi DC iPurifier 2 for Mscaler and my TT2 and ifi AC iPurifier 3 for each. So the power strip only has Mscaler and AC Ipurifier on one filter (your groundhog type device can also go here) and TT2 and AC iPurifier on the other. Your amp should go directly to mains.

For me this cleaned the sound, I really didn't have the vibe feeling you have. But, I have seen within this thread some have had it and power filtering helped.

BTW, I think plugging everything into the same power strip bypasses galvanic isolation also.

Thank you @Rob Watts,

so this is Germany, the country af safety regulations for everything, so I wonder :)

Could you elaborate how to do the grounding properly?
Right now I connect an extra BNC cable from free HMS-Out to free Dave-In as recommended by Chord support.
The caviat according to support is that galvanic isolation is thus nullified (?) and HMS/Dave are now grounded together.
As far as I understand this means Dave might pick up noise from HMS and vice verca?

Is there a better way? Sorry I don't understand "Ideally you should ground it away from the DAC".
Do you rather recommend a dedicated grounding wire (gutwire comes to mind or groundhog) connected to a different wall socket than the system?

Thanks alot. Very helpful.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #11,190 of 18,516
Via optical or usb? Which of the two connections sounds best to you?

They only have coaxial S/PDIF output, no Toslink, but I guess the USB socket could be used as an audio output, too.

Meanwhile I have received a USB C → USB B cable, and my first reaction was: «Hey, USB sounds even smoother and finer resolving than S/PDIF!» But the comparison is flawed, as it relates to the last listening session of yesterday evening. However, I will definitely stick to USB, and be it just for the lack of stuttering during sampling-rate changes that regularly occurs with S/PDIF (Toslink and coaxial) – via M Scaler! (The same with the computer as source.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back