Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 3, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #11,131 of 18,518
If the address of the recipient on a postal letter is written correctly, the letter will reach it, no matter if it is written in calligraphy, block letters or cursive – as long as it can be read by the reading machine at the distribution center. The same goes for numbers on a pay-in slip. So the analogue signal from a DAC won't be any more «accurate» with signals with sharper edges, unless the rounding leads to corrupted timing (= jitter).
and when you say address, thats very much like a fact, its either right or wrong, but maybe an audio stream is not like that. Maybe the process of constructing the stream means that what is sent down the optical cable, is the sound cards interpretation of the address, and the sound cards ability to interpret information\addresses varies between cards\computers\machines.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #11,132 of 18,518
and when you say address, thats very much like a fact, its either right or wrong, but maybe an audio stream is not like that. Maybe the process of constructing the stream means that what is sent down the optical cable, is the sound cards interpretation of the address, and the sound cards ability to interpret information\addresses varies between cards\computers\machines.
Since we're dealing with a digital signal, there's no possibility of interpreting a signal – it's either correct (= «bit perfect») or missing some samples. As mentioned, a signal that's rounded more than the receiving DAC can deal with will lead to jitter. However, that's a problem that can be solved via reclocking – which most likely will restore the signal shape to a high enough degree.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #11,133 of 18,518
Since we're dealing with a digital signal, there's no possibility of interpreting a signal – it's either correct (= «bit perfect») or missing some samples. As mentioned, a signal that's rounded more than the receiving DAC can deal with will lead to jitter. However, that's a problem that can be solved via reclocking – which most likely will restore the signal shape to a high enough degree.
but isnt it true that the digital signal is a misnomer, the signal is analogue, the source read the music from a file in the digital domain, but everything that happens after the file is read, is analogue.

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #11,134 of 18,518
What's analogue is the signal shape, and I have already explained how it can affect the DAC. Apart from jitter I see no explanation for sonic differences. Of course the infamous RFI still applies, but I thought to be on the safe side with a battery-powered source, galvanic isolation from the M Scaler and the Wave cables.

I think you need further clarification: A rounded sample leads to the very same amplitude value as a sample with sharp edges within the DAC. The information stored in the digital signal ist still 100% intact, but the signal doesn't have sharp start and stop points anymore, thus the timing can be affected in the form of jitter.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #11,135 of 18,518
Yeah I spent some time looing at what it says on the M11 website, and the part about wifi. (It's quite a way down the page.)

I am not sure if it means you can control your server with the M11 Pro. Then make the server send files by cable to the DAP. … Or it means you can steam over wifi to the DAP. …… The wording it uses on the M11 Pro page actually makes no grammatical or logical sense to me. I can't understand it.
https://www.fiio.com/m11pro

It's the part of the webpage that says:
Your personal music portal. Get your songs through DNLA, Airplay, or Wifi. .... Then what's written under that heading says what it does, but I don't understand it.

If you can steam to this DAP over wifi, and not just lossless/lossy compressed bluetooth, then it's an incredible machine. Especially considering it's knocking it out of the park, in all reviews, just as a DAP. If only they had made the battery replaceable, or if it is.

I looked on the M11 page (4TB on that DAP - astonishing). There is a more filled out explanation there, but it is still vague. I think both DAPs use the same system.
https://www.fiio.com/m11
Probably best to ask FiiO in the two M11 threads: M11 M11 Pro

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #11,136 of 18,518
What's analogue is the signal shape, and I have already explained how it can affect the DAC. Apart from jitter I see no explanation for sonic differences. Of course the infamous RFI still applies, but I thought to be on the safe side with a battery-powered source, galvanic isolation from the M Scaler and the Wave cables.

I think you need further clarification: A rounded sample leads to the very same amplitude value as a sample with sharp edges within the DAC. The information stored in the digital signal ist still 100% intact, but the signal doesn't have sharp start and stop points anymore, thus the timing can be affected in the form of jitter.
im trying to digest this: quote:

https://darko.audio/2020/04/letters-to-the-editor-philosophy-by-numbers/

Hi John,

I hope you don’t mind if I call you John. First of all, I’d like to say, that I really enjoy your Youtube channel. I’m watching almost all of your videos, even if the gear that you present is of minor interest for me. But the way you present it is always entertaining and that makes a good channel. Big fan 😉

It seems, that you’re struggling to explain why digital audio matters and why it’s not just ones and zeros. It seems that there’s also a big part of the community still doubting that digital can make a difference, even if a simple listening test would prove the opposite. But some people obviously trust what they’ve been told more than what they hear. But that’s another story…

In the media, they always talk about jitter and noise and the importance of power supplies, clocks, galvanic isolation. They are right, but they never comprehensibly explain why that makes a difference.

So, here’s my attempt that might explain why digital signals matter:

First of all, we have to understand that there is a difference between signal and information.
To make things clearer, I’d like to use the expressions transmission, signal and information.

So what does that mean?

Let’s start with an analog transmission where the information is „hard coupled“ to the signal. The signal IS the information, so to say. When we send a perfect 1kHz sine at a certain level to a speaker, it will reproduce a perfect 1kHz sine wave at this level. When this signal picks up noise or it is distorted or damped, your speaker will reproduce the distortion, the noise and the level will be slightly lower. So the information you hear is one to one the signal that your speaker receives.

No surprise so far. Right?

So now let’s look at a digital transmission. Here things a bit different. Now the signal is decoupled from the information because the information is quantized. The information is just represented by the signal. Let’s say we’re sending a perfect square wave to a receiver and on its way the signal is distorted. This won’t affect the information, because the receiving IC doesn’t simply „reproduce” but interpret the signal. If the voltage level exceeds a certain threshold within a certain time window, it will switch on and you have a logical one. If not, it stays off and you have a logical zero. So within each time voltage window (for one / for zero) the signal can have infinite states that still represent the right/same information.

So your signal can be distorted, as long as it fulfils the requirements for a correct „interpretation“ of the receiving IC without affecting the information and that’s the reason why you can transmit digital data over long distances without any information loss, even if the signal is distorted.

So far, nothing new. Just a slightly different way of seeing it.

Now things are getting interesting 😉

When we listen to digital audio, the digital information (the ones and zeros) from your hard drive will be transferred from your streamer into a digital signal (a square wave) and this square wave will be modulated from your DAC into an analog signal. At this point, the information is no longer decoupled from the signal! It is really important to understand that the digital signal is transferred into an analog signal. Not the digital information! That means that all the distortion that you have on your digital signal will be transferred to the analog signal! Now the information is „hard coupled“ to the digital signal and therefore all the benefits discussed before are lost.

To make things a bit clearer, let’s look at an example. Let’s take DSD.

In most DAC chips the conversion is made via DSD. Technically it uses (PDM) Pulse Density Modulation. So you have a square wave at a very high frequency and the density of these pulses lead to a certain level on the analog side. That signal can be seen as a digital signal. High voltage is one, low voltage is zero and that’s the way native DSD files are stored. An array of ones and zeros and the density of the ones represent the level.

To convert this digital signal into an anlog signal you need nothing more than a low pass filter. A small capacitor and resistor can do the job. But that also means that all distortions of this digital signal are passing the low pass filter.

Let’s say the voltage is not perfectly constant due to a poor power supply. These overlaid voltage fluctuations (different heights of the pulses) will pass the filter.

Let’s say you have jitter and the blocks of your square wave are not equally wide. That would result in a density fluctuation and lead to level fluctuation of your analog signal.

Let’s say the blocks are not perfectly square and they look more like a saw tooth. This will affect the density and therefore the analog signal.

Noise is very often claimed to be a big problem in digital audio. Just think what happens when high-frequency noise interferes with a high frequency-digital signal. You’ll probably get beats* when the noise frequency is close to the signal frequency which will probably lead to a tremolo in the audio band.

* check Wikipedia: beat (acoustics)

To summarize:

As long as we transmit digital information, signal and information are decoupled, we have no losses, the world is alright. But when we want to reproduce music, the information is coupled to the signal and all the problems we have with analog audio appear again.

This is actually just a very rough look at this topic. We actually have to understand, how the distortion on the digital side will be modulated to the analog side. DSD is actually a very simple example. That’s why I have chosen it. For PCM and ladder DACs the modulation is completely different. For simplicity, I’ve also ignored reading errors.

I hope my explanations are comprehensible and maybe they help.

If something is unclear or if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best regards from Munich

Mathias

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #11,137 of 18,518
Thanks for the text, Zappaman!

It is in line with what Rob Watts explains in terms of RFI leading to sonic differences.

So my question would be: I have done my best to avoid RFI with my digital signal path, so why do different sources still make a difference?

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #11,138 of 18,518
Thanks for the text, Zappaman!

It is in line with what Rob Watts explains in terms of RFI leading to sonic differences.

So my question would be: I have done my best to avoid RFI with my digital signal path, so why do different sources still make a difference?
Interesting discussion I have also been eyeing a FIO or similar DAP for quite a while, but I would like to know how you have connected your FIO to your HMS.
Via optical or usb?
Which of the two connections sounds best to you.
And also how does the FIO sound on its own?
It is a DAP isn't it?
Is it comparable to a H1 or H2 on its own?
Cheers CC

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #11,139 of 18,518
as a side note, if the signal is reclocked and that rights all wrongs, then why is it, different usb cables flavour the sound, how come that isn't reclocked. so i think my understanding is very low about how all this works.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #11,140 of 18,518
as a side note, if the signal is reclocked and that rights all wrongs, then why is it, different usb cables flavour the sound, how come that isn't reclocked. so i think my understanding is very low about how all this works.
My own understanding isn't any better when it comes to this point. :confused:

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #11,141 of 18,518
I should have noted, the XDuoo X10T2 is a DACless player. It has no DAC to generate noise. Simplicity in a small player.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #11,142 of 18,518
Interesting discussion I have also been eyeing a FIO or similar DAP for quite a while, but I would like to know how you have connected your FIO to your HMS.
Via optical or usb?
Which of the two connections sounds best to you.
And also how does the FIO sound on its own?
It is a DAP isn't it?
Is it comparable to a H1 or H2 on its own?
Cheers CC
Hi Christer

Yes, M11 and M11 Pro are DAPs, ranked second and third below FiiO's new flagship M15.

They only have coaxial S/PDIF output, no Toslink, but I guess the USB socket could be used as an audio output, too. I'm just using the coaxial output so far – and have no gripes about RFI since the M Scaler's galvanic isolation represents a reliable protection :worried:.

On its own the M11 Pro sounds surprisingly similar to the Hugo₂ (with respect to smoothness and resolution), just darker and not quite as detailed. Even downright bassy through the balanced headphone output (which is not clearly better than single-ended after re-equalization). For me the sound is certainly good enough for ultra-portable use. An attached Mojo would still marginally enhance the sound quality, but also eliminate ultra-portability. Sadly I haven't found a case that could fit on an armband, so the X3 II will remain the companion on my jogging tours.

The connection with the M Scaler is the FiiO L21 coaxial cable with a ¼" TRRS plug and an RCA plug on the other end, completed by an RCA→BNC adapter.

I should have noted, the XDuoo X10T2 is a DACless player. It has no DAC to generate noise. Simplicity in a small player.
Good to know – now I recall having read about it. On the other hand, I would think a DAC that's not in use wouldn't contribute much if anything to signal pollution.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #11,143 of 18,518
Hi Christer

Yes, M11 and M11 Pro are DAPs, ranked second and third below FiiO's new flagship M15.

They only have coaxial S/PDIF output, no Toslink, but I guess the USB socket could be used as an audio output, too. I'm just using the coaxial output so far – and have no gripes about RFI since the M Scaler's galvanic isolation represents a reliable protection :worried:.

On its own the M11 Pro sounds surprisingly similar to the Hugo₂ (with respect to smoothness and resolution), just darker and not quite as detailed. Even downright bassy through the balanced headphone output (which is not clearly better than single-ended after re-equalization). For me the sound is certainly good enough for ultra-portable use. An attached Mojo would still marginally enhance the sound quality, but also eliminate ultra-portability. Sadly I haven't found a case that could fit on an armband, so the X3 II will remain the companion on my jogging tours.

The connection with the M Scaler is the FiiO L21 coaxial cable with a ¼" TRRS plug and an RCA plug on the other end, completed by an RCA→BNC adapter.

Good to know – now I recall having read about it. On the other hand, I would think a DAC that's not in use wouldn't contribute much if anything to signal pollution.

I would not be surprised if the M11 Pro steals the What HiFi award at this price. (Other magazine awards too.) Currently the A&K A&Norma SR15 holds this bracket. However I have seen a review of the M11 Pro, beating the SR15. A&K are releasing the SR25 as an upgrade to the SR15. Will have to wait and see. It looked obvious in the What HiFi review that reading between the lines, they prefer the M11 Pro to the SR15. It felt like they were holding back the surprise for the Awards issue, to say they prefer the M11 Pro. Anyway with the SR25 coming, we will have to see what's what.

I prefer the look of the M11/M11 Pro over the A&K. Am thinking about using it as a Chord DACs source, as well as a portable DAP. I already have a DAP, but the M11 Pro appears considerably ahead.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #11,145 of 18,518
Is it possible to have an Innuos Phoenix USB Re-Clocker between source and M-Scaler?

Will it make a difference?
I go Innuos Zenith Mk3 > Innuos Phoenix Reclocker > M-scaler > DAVE

The Phoenix Reclocker makes a big difference. They effect isn't small...you will notice it right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back