Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 1, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #11,101 of 18,478
Yes. Went through a bunch of streamers over the past year (Innuos/Auralic/Senore/Bel Canto/dCS Network Bridge): they all made a difference even with MScaler in front of DAVE. Worth experimenting to find the best one for your system...

I'm going to get a DCS Network Bridge on home demo, reviews are good for shortlisting, however there's no substitute for your own ears in your own system. I like DCS heritage and model, firmware and software upgrades, as network streaming is a moving target and I do not want an unsupported dead weight. If the muscial performance is there I do not mind paying a small premium for long-term support, plus they have good residuals.

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #11,102 of 18,478
IMHO a battery powered source which delivers a bit perfect stream cannot be beaten as it eliminates the possibility of any ground loop entering the hms which in turn blocks any interference with the delicate ground plane of the dac. add some wave bnc cables and you have a total solution.

right now i'm listening to some tunes by julio iglesias and can double confirm that.:relaxed:

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #11,103 of 18,478
You can’t use the Phoenix as an endpoint.
I know, but my question related to reducing spaghetti - for those people who don't want to have a network between their music player and DAC.

Many people at AS have shown that adding a reclocker downstream of an Endpoint can further improve SQ.
But wouldn't it be great if the reclocker is so good that it enables the Endpoint to be eliminated altogether... which also potentially eliminates audiophile ethernet cables, switches, routers, super clocks plus all the power cords, DC cables and fuses that any dedicated audiophile will want to add to each of those networking components.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #11,104 of 18,478
IMHO a battery powered source which delivers a bit perfect stream cannot be beaten as it eliminates the possibility of any ground loop entering the hms which in turn blocks any interference with the delicate ground plane of the dac. add some wave bnc cables and you have a total solution.

right now i'm listening to some tunes by julio iglesias and can double confirm that.:relaxed:
it can be beaten, thats why £25,000 music servers exist.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #11,105 of 18,478
not my opinion but that of the designer. a battery powered source in conjunction with a galvanically isolated powered input is very close to perfection.:sweat::sweat::sweat:

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #11,106 of 18,478
out of interest if the phoenix does usb out why can't it be directly connected to the dac?

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #11,107 of 18,478
not my opinion but that of the designer. a battery powered source in conjunction with a galvanically isolated powered input is very close to perfection.:sweat::sweat::sweat:
you have to take responsibility for your own comments lol

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #11,109 of 18,478
That you need a £2K+ box to get the best from USB, suggests USB is to be avoided as flawed, saving yourself £2K+? I already settled on S/PDIF after I couldn't find a USB connection that sounded as good. Perhaps it was because I didn't have the Phoenix...? Would be interesting to read comparisons of S/PDIF vs Phoenix'd USB.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #11,110 of 18,478
Forget all those front end boxes, cables switches. Get a server like Antipodes, load roon core, usb to your mscaler and you will have the quietest front end possible.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #11,111 of 18,478
Forget all those front end boxes, cables switches. Get a server like Antipodes, load roon core, usb to your mscaler and you will have the quietest front end possible.

Unless you then hear a Statement with Roon loaded and because you will start writing out the advert to sell the Antipodes . . . . actually I am of course I am just joking but the concept is the same. Just one quality low noise box and plug it into the Mscaler by USB. Sit back and enjoy.

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #11,113 of 18,478
Unless you then hear a Statement with Roon loaded and because you will start writing out the advert to sell the Antipodes . . . . actually I am of course I am just joking but the concept is the same. Just one quality low noise box and plug it into the Mscaler by USB. Sit back and enjoy.
Either will provide the same result. A lot less boxes.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #11,114 of 18,478
I have that exact set-up - it sounds amazing and the ability to use Roon is a bonus. My 'previous' set-up used an AK500 connected via an optical cable (no USB digital out on the AK). A/B ing the Antipodes CX/EX and the AK500 using 16/44.1 red book WAV I can hear no difference. My ears are old and my music's crap but the AK500 must be really pretty good (and quiet) to match the Antipodes. So good, in fact, I'm keeping it as a modern art sculpture in aircraft grade aluminium and have occasional AK500 'nights' for old times sake...

I forgot my point - if you're looking for a server and spot a good deal on a used AK500 go for it.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #11,115 of 18,478
I'm going to have to agree here. The battery powered XDuoo X10T2 I'm using as a source. I don't stream so it works great for me with my files. I would love to see more of you try it for the mere $230 to buy one. So far nobody has compared it to their mega bucks servers. I have it via Lifatec Glass to HMS. Clear and awesome powerful sound. Convince me otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back