Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 12, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #10,112 of 18,535
Would you both say that the stock cables to connect M scaler to Dave are sufficient or definitely upgrade cables between HMS/DAVE?

Which cables are the most popular for DAVE/HMS?

Feb 12, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #10,113 of 18,535
Would you both say that the stock cables to connect M scaler to Dave are sufficient or definitely upgrade cables between HMS/DAVE?

Which cables are the most popular for DAVE/HMS?
Definitely needs upgrade, but something low cost but high quality like supra trico is maybe enough (depends on who you ask). I have not heard the wave cables that some say is a big upgrade.

Feb 12, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #10,114 of 18,535
Asking here as HMS people have generally more "complete chains" and are likely more willing to mess with set ups outside the dac/amp/headphone set ups.

Anyone in this group added a power regenerator or conditioner and noticed any improvements in sound? I noticed in the headphone community power regenerators are rarely if ever talked about.

Feb 12, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #10,116 of 18,535
2Go plus 2yu could be an interesting source (see canjam preview video on front page of headfi).
Looking forward to reading reviews of this source as a Roon endpoint.

The want is strong, for sure, but don’t know what tangible advantages there’d be over my current Node 2 as a streamer. But doesn‘t stop me from wanting them!

Hope they’re doing them in black.

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #10,117 of 18,535
I finally got a loaner DAVE while the one I purchased recently gets fixed (apparently Chord is aware of the issue with the new DAVE's and the M-scaler).

The M-scaler really pushes the DAVE to crazy new levels. The combo is so good. After listening to the DAVE without an M-scaler for a couple of weeks, I was still very impressed with the performance and sound quality. But, now that I'm back to having an M-Scaler in the chain, the sound is so good. Saying something sounded "digital" never really meant anything to me prior to adding an M-Scaler to my old TT2, but music really does sound "digital" without the M-Scaler. The M-scaler takes that "digital" sound away.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #10,118 of 18,535
Asking here as HMS people have generally more "complete chains" and are likely more willing to mess with set ups outside the dac/amp/headphone set ups.

Anyone in this group added a power regenerator or conditioner and noticed any improvements in sound? I noticed in the headphone community power regenerators are rarely if ever talked about.

Living near Midtown in a high-rise, power quality is always the main thing I'm fighting against from dragging down my system. I use a PS Audio P12 and it helps a bit in way of separation and clarity.

While the P12 and the M Scaler are of course two very different products, I think of the two items as having a similarly meaningful impact on improving of my system. Though I'd also say they're both equally right on the cusp of what's worthwhile to me in terms of the value they bring versus what it costs to own them (as they are of similar price points). Just speaking for myself, naturally.

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #10,119 of 18,535

I’ve added an Audioquest Niagara 7000, in all honesty its one of the best additions I've made.

Feb 13, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #10,120 of 18,535
Living near Midtown in a high-rise, power quality is always the main thing I'm fighting against from dragging down my system. I use a PS Audio P12 and it helps a bit in way of separation and clarity.

While the P12 and the M Scaler are of course two very different products, I think of the two items as having a similarly meaningful impact on improving of my system. Though I'd also say they're both equally right on the cusp of what's worthwhile to me in terms of the value they bring versus what it costs to own them (as they are of similar price points). Just speaking for myself, naturally.
Do you find that the power plant changes the sound signature a bit? I do, the vocals sound great and orgasmic on some songs but on some songs that same orgasmic sound becomes too "thin and stretched and unclear"

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #10,121 of 18,535
Play a track that contains unusually fast repeated transitions in the vocals, percussion or beat with the mscaler and everything sounds smooth and natural with great dynamicism and musical energy. Then remove the mscaler out of the chain completely using your input directly into the dac from your source. At first everything sounds nice and in place but when you reach the section in the music with the fast transitions as described above something very uncomfortable will hit you by surprise. Those fast movements/transitions will sound like someone hammering a nail into the wall at a very fast rate. Completely unmusical and unpleasant.

This is the mechanism of the mscaler it smoothes out those very fast segments/transitions making them sound totally natural as if you were there in person watching the performance live. WTA transient alignment is why you appear to hear the music almost slowing down with the HMS but it's not really slowing down because originally pre-HMS the timing was not as accurate. Hence the relaxed analogue non digital presentation with HMS. Of course if one has never heard the mscaler at work this will mean nothing as the mind has not been wired in to the effect of a 1 million tap interpolation filter. I was thinking about trading in my hms/tt2 for a solo dave but i never could now.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #10,122 of 18,535
2Go plus 2yu could be an interesting source (see canjam preview video on front page of headfi).
Looking forward to reading reviews of this source as a Roon endpoint.

I started a thread on them here, as I'm very interested in both of them for my own set-up.

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #10,123 of 18,535
I spent a pleasant few hours this morning listening to my system with and without the Innuos Phoenix between my Innuos Zenith and my Dave and then with and without the Phoenix when going to Blu2/Dave from the Zenith. Whatever was the mechanism all I can say is that there was a compelling improvement in the sound quality that was easily heard by me and by my friend who came over to listen with me.

I had the Phoenix on home demo from my local Innuos dealer and all I can say if you are interested is to get hold of one and listen for yourself. I did some notes of the listening session which I can PM to you if you wish (it would be OT to post here).
LOL you realise That reclocker as this have Clock that is miles above clock in your pc or Dac clocks. Add its own power supply for usb line and you get signal that way more precise and clean. All these dacs aint reclock crap unless you have usb board like Vega g2 or Unison.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #10,124 of 18,535
Do you find that the power plant changes the sound signature a bit? I do, the vocals sound great and orgasmic on some songs but on some songs that same orgasmic sound becomes too "thin and stretched and unclear"
Mmm, good question. For me, it sounds more clear, controlled and refined, but slightly at expense of bass and dynamics, arguably. So, two steps forward, one step back, to be honest. Or maybe those are diametrically opposed things. But anyway, this is making think that I ought to go through the trouble of selling it and experimenting with other products.

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #10,125 of 18,535
Yeah, I was in for a surprise because PS AUDIO claims that it ONLY improves sound across the board. I found it to change my sound signature and it took a wide range of songs to figure that out as it sounded better with some songs and worse with others, where as without the power plant, all my songs sound decent (more well rounder without the power plant)

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back