Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 19, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #10,141 of 18,441
Does it accept a digital signal like usb or optical ? Or is it just for use with components that output analogue?

I had a look but the main site wasn’t that informative.
The HDV 820 has both analog and digital inputs. This is from the official manual:
• Outstanding ESS SABRE32 DAC (digital-analog converter) with a
resolution of 32 bits and a sampling rate of up to 384 kHz
• Automatic adjustment of the sampling rate (44.1 kHz to 384 kHz)
• USB Audio (up to 32 Bit/384 kHz and up to DSD256)
• Can be used with up to four dynamic headphones
• 3 balanced headphone sockets (2 x 4.4 mm Pentaconn jack
socket, 1 x XLR-4 socket)
• High-quality XLR-3/¼" (6.35 mm) jack combo socket for connection of unbalanced headphones
• High flexibility due to different connection possibilities:
– Digital inputs: S/PDIF coaxial/optical, USB
– Analog inputs: balanced XLR-3, unbalanced RCA
• Analog output: balanced XLR-3, level adjustable (for connection
of active loudspeakers or a power amplifier)
From what I understand the HDV 820 should have a up-sampling module similar to the Chord Hugo M-Scaler, albeit only to 384kHz, but from my experience the quality of the music sources is clearly showed. I'm not sure if pairing the HMS to the HDV820 would make any different in music quality.

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #10,142 of 18,441
The HDV 820 has both analog and digital inputs. This is from the official manual:
• Outstanding ESS SABRE32 DAC (digital-analog converter) with a
resolution of 32 bits and a sampling rate of up to 384 kHz
• Automatic adjustment of the sampling rate (44.1 kHz to 384 kHz)
• USB Audio (up to 32 Bit/384 kHz and up to DSD256)
• Can be used with up to four dynamic headphones
• 3 balanced headphone sockets (2 x 4.4 mm Pentaconn jack
socket, 1 x XLR-4 socket)
• High-quality XLR-3/¼" (6.35 mm) jack combo socket for connection of unbalanced headphones
• High flexibility due to different connection possibilities:
– Digital inputs: S/PDIF coaxial/optical, USB
– Analog inputs: balanced XLR-3, unbalanced RCA
• Analog output: balanced XLR-3, level adjustable (for connection
of active loudspeakers or a power amplifier)
From what I understand the HDV 820 should have a up-sampling module similar to the Chord Hugo M-Scaler, albeit only to 384kHz, but from my experience the quality of the music sources is clearly showed. I'm not sure if pairing the HMS to the HDV820 would make any different in music quality.
then you’d need to feed it via the optical output from mscaler which limits the level of scaling to a fraction of its potential.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #10,143 of 18,441
The upsampling "module" in the hdv 820 has nothing at all in common with the upsampling mechanism employed by the chord mscaler. Spending 3.5K on a chord mscaler just to use with the hdv 820 would be a total waste of time. money and effort IMHO.

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #10,144 of 18,441
The upsampling "module" in the hdv 820 has nothing at all in common with the upsampling mechanism employed by the chord mscaler. Spending 3.5K on a chord mscaler just to use with the hdv 820 would be a total waste of time. money and effort IMHO.
No I don't intend to buy Chord HMS to use solely with HDV820, but since I have H800S+HDV820 combo, buying HMS is a path way to the HMS+DAVE combo, which I will use with other headphones or speakers. I'm just debating whether to get HMS first to use with the current HDV820 or wait and go straight to DAVE (or DAVE 2 in the future).

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #10,145 of 18,441
I was at CanJam NYC (first show plying my wares) and sat through both of Rob Watt's talks and he came to my stand for a chat. In his presentation, he provided good in-depth technical information, however my takeaway was the incredulity of the level of resolution being strived for. Rob is not 'done' with MScaler or Dave ...he hears more benefits in depth and musicality with even greater reduction in noise floor and upscaling fidelity at 24bits. We are well beyond the resolution of measuring equipment; we are well below the analog noise floor. Yet trace amounts of detail at impossibly low levels are still audible and he does not know if there is a limit. So, for sure, we are in the domain of something pretty remarkable (I am talking about the ear-brain as well as Chord DACs!)

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #10,146 of 18,441
I am now totally convinced that the next level is all about noise. After ditching my mscaler and going to the Antipodes EX with it's low noise electronics and silent usb output the level of detail has jumped noticeably. It probably would have with the mscaler too if I had invested in Dan's optical or Wave's cable solutions. The cost for that and the mscaler was just too much and I have reached the same point with the EX and HQP embedded for thousands less plus it's now my Roon Core server.

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #10,147 of 18,441
Thats what i was talking about all along, great to see i am not alone in this assessment. Add Cx and hear what happends. Course there goes the thousands less

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #10,148 of 18,441
I wonder if visual triggers could actually have an effect subconsciously on our auditory perceptions such as at live performances. It makes sense when you consider it.

When making the move to a stripped down ipod touch 7th generation battery powered with usb out into mscaler i also heard great improvements in micro detail and a silent usb output//darker background. Cost £300. Another members ipod touch set up:

1582338869157.png

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #10,149 of 18,441
I wonder if visual triggers could actually have an effect subconsciously on our auditory perceptions such as at live performances. It makes sense when you consider it.

When making the move to a stripped down ipod touch 7th generation battery powered with usb out into mscaler i also heard great improvements in micro detail and a silent usb output//darker background. Cost £300. Another members ipod touch set up:

1582338869157.png
I have used several iPhone’s and iPad’s as Roon endpoints with usb out to various dacs. While very convenient I always found them to sound a bit “brittle” or thin when compared to DigiOne coax or JustBoom optical. I put it down to the Apple adapter cable. ymmv

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #10,150 of 18,441
My YMMV does apply here. The touch is an iphone with the cellular stripped out. i also stripped out 90% of apps etc. the touch sounds better than a mobile phone by a long margin in my tests because it's low power extreme in my implementation. we all decide where to throw the cash in order to achieve a better sound and for me it's not the streamer when i own the mTT2 combo. it's a personal decision but we can disagree too as that is what powers this forum IMHO. the touch on battery power also destroys the CCA from my listening tests. the CCA is reported as very good. i use a simple certified class 2 usb cable into HMS.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #10,151 of 18,441
The rfi from the phone is definitely an issue. My best results were an iPad mini to the Hugo2 as an endpoint by the pool. The wifi reception of the mini was better than poly/mojo but not quite as good sonically.

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #10,152 of 18,441
the 7th gen touch is much smaller and quieter than the mini. plug in download roon remote and go. takes 2 minutes. connect to a fully charged 20,000mAh powerbank battery for 30+ hours of wifi streaming. incredible.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #10,154 of 18,441
I just finished a review of the M Scaler and there is a lot to cover so kept it fairly focused in scope. You could write a few more features on it and still not cover everything. WIth the right setup, it can be a difference-maker.

https://headfonics.com/2020/02/chord-hugo-m-scaler-review/

1582461430549.png

Feb 23, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #10,155 of 18,441
The rfi from the phone is definitely an issue. My best results were an iPad mini to the Hugo2 as an endpoint by the pool. The wifi reception of the mini was better than poly/mojo but not quite as good sonically.
How do you know what RFI comes from the phone? Do you mean through the air, or down a cable? If through the air, does distancing the phone from the rest of your hi-fi help? If through the cable does something like an AQ Jitterbug help, as Rob has advocated? I thought RFI down cables was only an issue if both end of the cable had a path to earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back