Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 30, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #9,661 of 18,478
Thanks for the thoughts, Ray!

I think signal integrity issues are possible. With cables and sources that more easily link to higher bandwidth's (192 vs 96) - I think I hear a slight difference, though it could be placebo. Maybe a transmitter and a more robust Toslink cable. Maybe there is not enough loss for a droupout - but there could be small errors of some kind which affect the sound.

Also, the power supply of the source could have an effect - in terms of what it's putting into the mains.

I haven't been able to hear a clear difference, but I don't have enough sources to test.

I'd love to be able to eventually use USB. Does anyone have a source that is so good that USB is actually an improvement over toslink?

Well Innuos prefer to use usb rather than optical for their high end sources to the point where the lower models have optical outputs as well but the top models have usb output only. I think I remember the explanation being that they measured the noise produced by the optical converter and realised that it was worse than a well implemented usb solution. I have the Innuos Zenith SE which only has usb and is obviously some rungs below their also usb only Statement model but I have been very happy with it and do not wish for an optical connection.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #9,662 of 18,478
Thanks for the thoughts, Ray!

I think signal integrity issues are possible. With cables and sources that more easily link to higher bandwidth's (192 vs 96) - I think I hear a slight difference, though it could be placebo. Maybe a transmitter and a more robust Toslink cable. Maybe there is not enough loss for a droupout - but there could be small errors of some kind which affect the sound.

Also, the power supply of the source could have an effect - in terms of what it's putting into the mains.

I haven't been able to hear a clear difference, but I don't have enough sources to test.

I'd love to be able to eventually use USB. Does anyone have a source that is so good that USB is actually an improvement over toslink?

Not sure what you mean by this. I only use USB. Never bothered with toslink. Oh ok got it... CX/EX usb connectivity is incredible. No noise...

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #9,663 of 18,478
I am using Pi3 with JustBoom optical (Ropieee) to mscaler and SX coax to TT(1) on it’s internal batteries to Legend X. Another nice feature of the TT(1) - battery and super caps.

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #9,664 of 18,478
Careful... the Corning optical usb have a thin copper wire to carry power to the optical demod circuits on the receiver. I tried them ...they don't galvanically isolate.
FYI ,Their thunderbolt 2 cables are 100% glass as will be their USB-C.
There are commercially available USB-over-Fibre extenders with power needed at both ends ...but they are expensive.
Agreed, which is why it would be necessary to perform a diy mod to the cable, to cut the copper wire, and route it to a battery pack or similar.
The noise generated by the demodulator, mentioned by @Triode User , would probably be more difficult to remove.

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #9,665 of 18,478
duplicate, deleted

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #9,667 of 18,478
I don't know if this is technically the right place to mention this, but I received my Uptone ISO Regen with LPS1.2 and a Sonore power cord. The improvement in sound is quite substantial. I say it is an equal or greater change compared to my aftermarket SOtM BNC cables. The difference is very noticeable. Treble sparkles, the bass is cleaner and no (well maybe less) smearing, very black background. I don't know what the SOtM stack sounds like, but if it sounds similiar or better than the ISO Regen, it would be a very special piece of equipment. I know we talk about RFI on here, but regenerating the USB signal should be taken into consideration as well. The ISO Regen/LPS 1.2 were well worth the money in my mind.

Dec 2, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #9,668 of 18,478
I don't know if this is technically the right place to mention this, but I received my Uptone ISO Regen with LPS1.2 and a Sonore power cord. The improvement in sound is quite substantial. I say it is an equal or greater change compared to my aftermarket SOtM BNC cables. The difference is very noticeable. Treble sparkles, the bass is cleaner and no (well maybe less) smearing, very black background. I don't know what the SOtM stack sounds like, but if it sounds similiar or better than the ISO Regen, it would be a very special piece of equipment. I know we talk about RFI on here, but regenerating the USB signal should be taken into consideration as well. The ISO Regen/LPS 1.2 were well worth the money in my mind.

I like the Uptone guy lol.. there's actually 2 of them. They know what they are doing. I went with the usbultra. Imo its a better product but also more expensive. I also bought the word clock. You did not go wrong with what you purchased if the ultra wasn't around I would have purchased theirs.

Dec 3, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #9,669 of 18,478
My experience with MscaledDaveUtopia as well. I'll try Uptone's EtherRegen as well, once the first runs are delivered. Alex Crespi and John Swenson are a remarkably talented and generous duo. Ray-Dude already has experience with this in an Mscaled Dave and previously reported it here.

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #9,670 of 18,478
if you using Sotm products you might want to try their Cat7 ethernet cables quite amazing in preservice the sound signature and nullifying noise I have my setups cat7 filter cat7 to source they also sell a filter you can put in between Cat7's

Dec 3, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #9,671 of 18,478
if you using Sotm products you might want to try their Cat7 ethernet cables quite amazing in preservice the sound signature and nullifying noise I have my setups cat7 filter cat7 to source they also sell a filter you can put in between Cat7's
That’s actual a soon to be purchased item for me. I’m gonna get 2 cat 7s and the filter. Perhaps I’ll put an ETHER REGEN in the chain too, when they are back in stock next year

Dec 3, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #9,672 of 18,478
That’s actual a soon to be purchased item for me. I’m gonna get 2 cat 7s and the filter. Perhaps I’ll put an ETHER REGEN in the chain too, when they are back in stock next year

There's a good write up about them on audio bacon. They really are amazing cables. They keep the music smooth and get rid of any distortion. You'll like them.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #9,673 of 18,478
I ordered my black Mscaler on November 6th, he originally told me that it should only take a couple of weeks. Today I called him, and he said he expects it to arrive in another 1-2 weeks. I live in Canada, so it seems like maybe the TT2’s are selling well, so possibly they are falling behind a bit. This time of year though, I have a work Christmas party next weekend, so hopefully on December 21st I can grab it.

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #9,674 of 18,478
I ordered my black Mscaler on November 6th, he originally told me that it should only take a couple of weeks. Today I called him, and he said he expects it to arrive in another 1-2 weeks. I live in Canada, so it seems like maybe the TT2’s are selling well, so possibly they are falling behind a bit. This time of year though, I have a work Christmas party next weekend, so hopefully on December 21st I can grab it.

hmmm what store? tt2's are not flying off the shelf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back