1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642
644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653
Next

Last
  1. ray-dude
    As you may know, when you unplug the power from TT2, it is able to keep playing music for a short while (seconds). Could I impose on you to repeat your experiment, but pull the plug from the back of the TT2 and see what happens to the background noise you're hearing? That should be fairly definitive about what contributions the power supplies are making to what you hear (stock vs LPS vs nothing but fully charged super caps).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    zenlisten likes this.
  2. Ragnar-BY
    Well, I would not do this with LPS (especially Farad), because of PSU's capacitors. But I think it might be interesting to check this with stock PSU.

ray-dude likes this.
  3. Progisus
    I use an Hugo2 with the mscaler. If I disconnect the power supply and use the internal batteries am I breaking the ground loop?

ZappaMan likes this.
  4. nomad777
    ?? BP on the HMS

5. Progisus
    Batteries in H2.

6. Chester Rockwell
    Yes you are, if you are using headphones. If your Hugo 2 is connected to an amp then no, there is still a loop via the amp power lead.

Progisus likes this.
  7. Rob Watts
    Yes I do indeed use solid core ferrites cables at home. But when travelling using a Hugo 2 and batteries it's unnecessary; and when I use TT2 or Dave in my hotel room I don't bother taking the cables too as the SQ benefits are not worth the hassle (extra weight and size).

Thank-you for your kind words, but for sure at least one of those assertions is false! But I try to be very precise and accurate in my posts - and both writing and designer skills I am constantly striving to improve, and I hope I have some more years left when I do indeed improve my knowledge and skills. As to doubt - this is the most important driver of improvements; without questioning and re-appraisal no progress is ever made.

Agreed - indeed I spend a lot of time polishing that top surface of cake - but this is in my quest to discover new things, which may result in not simply improving the finish of the icing but giving one a lot more cakes! It's the small things that count; but only in the sense that lots of very small things accumulate to something radically more important. And I agree - ten years ago I wouldn't have dreamt it was possible the musical performance I get now. We are so very fortunate.

Yes you have just squared your (currently) impossible demands! But I too very much share your desire for such a device.

Yes see the post below:

True but you could use an isolated battery source, battery Hugo 2, and then no loops, even if Hugo 2 is connected to an amp.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
  8. nomad777
    So Rob.. I saw in interview where you said you were thinking about going beyond a million taps. Don't think that's an early time horizon as the HMS isn't that old yet, but ... anything you can share?

9. zenlisten
    break-the-loop.jpeg

#BreakTheLoop

Ragnar-BY likes this.
  10. ZappaMan
    7BF9A14E-E32F-4177-B4F6-94F5DF95975E.jpeg

#icethecake

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    snk8699, ray-dude and zenlisten like this.
  11. Christer
    Thanks again Rob ,nice to know that you are working on my currently impossible dream toy.
    And the "Storm" BNCs which I mainly use do calm things down.
    A misnomer I guess.
    If I had made them myself I would have called them "Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage".

Any news to share regarding DAVINA?
    Cheers and thanks for enabling me to enjoy digitally recorded music more than ever before.
    CC

musickid, Triode User and hmartin like this.
  12. nomad777
    Well I bought the Abyss TC's today and am listening to them now. Of course I'll continue to listen to them relentlessly for hours now to see if these initial impressions change... but to those that are saying they are vastly superior to the Focal Utopia's No Way. Being a perfectionist I will change the stock cable to a 7N silver cable. I'm listening on the WA33 elite which has enough power to turn your brain to mush so that's not an issue. I think the sound signature is ok.

I still think the HE1000's sounds better for now so I'll continue to listen away with songs I know very well and see if this changes. It is a powerful headphone and you could seriously hurt your ear drums if your not careful. I'd say the Utopias have more detail and are definitely easier to run.

Yes they are nice so I'm not hating on them but I'm not seeing what the rave is all about. Maybe I'll change my mind as I listen more and upgrade the stock cable that came with it. Laterzzz..

xxx1313 and zenlisten like this.
  13. Drewligarchy
    Give them time. I definitely recall some break in with the drivers - but even if they are not new the fit takes getting used to (as well as tuned to your preference). It's the closest headphone to actually tuning speakers in a room.

I'd recommend Elysium by Al Di Meola and Beck Mutations for well recorded albums that displays depth well. I also am partial to Donald Fagen Morph the Cat - not necessarily for depth specifically, but because all Steely Dan is really well recorded and some of the bass lines on that one really shine on the abyss.

Also listening right now to Agaetis Byrjun (Sigur Ros) and The Evening of My Best Day (Rickie Lee Jones). Both are fantastic on the Abyss IMO (and great albums in general).

JM1979 likes this.
  14. nomad777
    I will... thx for the info. they are new ... dealer said the same thing for break in. Starting to see a difference in the mids... it is a heavy bass headphone....

15. ekfc63
    I've had mine for about a month now and they have gotten much better with break in. I also thought the the same thing about the bass and wondered if there were any frequency charts available that would shed any light on this. Maybe the bass is a touch elevated, but it is extended, fast, tight and I'm loving how visceral it makes the TC's sound. Also the bass doesn't bleed into the mids which sealed the deal for me.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
First

Back
633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642
644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653
Next

Last