Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #9,046 of 18,436
Hi, i had with Mojo Sysconcept cable! Both of them, and worked like a charm at 24/192. Try it. For exampe AQ cinnamon optical dont even specify that they can work at 24/192.
I say the same as previous posts, try Kabel Direct first as so cheap, and if it does not work, buy a Sysconcept which I think sounds slightly better and great value. I have both for different purposes, but have not compared to other glass cable suggestions like lifatec and QED.

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #9,047 of 18,436
last Chord i had was Hugo TT and Hugo 2. they are very good.

if i to jump from these to Hugo 2 TT + M-Scaler, what should i expect in term of

Sound Stage
Treble
Mids
Bass.

FYI i am a Treble head.

regarding M-scaler alone what should i expect from it? is it a day and night change with m-scaler? since the price alone is quite a lot. it would be sad if it was a sublte changes with m-scaler alone.

thanks in advance about any detailed answer. planing to get Hugo 2 TT + M-scaler combo. i got to save for a year at least.

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #9,048 of 18,436
I was thinking about the M-Scaler, and the opto-DX. I was wondering what the consensus was if there was one, on power supplies for the Opto-DX.

I presume we buy our own power supplies. I have a box with a few 12V wall adapter supplies in, but they will not be fancy with RFI filtering I guess.

What worries me is that folk are saying noise can leak across the Opto-DX via the power supplies. If they are on a single power strip anyway. Maybe if the power supplies were on separate power strips, filtering might take place, with the power strip. Like the Tacima CS947. https://www.whathifi.com/tacima/cs947/review (Not quoting the What HiFi review for anything more than demonstration.)

I have two power strips anyway. One Tacima and one Sound Fantastic. Would splitting the Opto-DX power supplies across those not separate the PSU noise, by mains conditioning?

I know that folk were talking recently about the Power Pilot Battery packs. However while I admire that noise free solution, I'd rather not myself use a battery powered system. I know that folk said they charged and played sometimes, but I'd like to avoid that. I'd just like a regular PSU solution. (I'll not hold on to that though. As if I bought an M-Scaler, there's a good chance I'd end up with batteries.)

Coaxial cables aside, am please just asking if my idea might work. Or are there other solutions for blocking RFI noise from sneaking across the Opto-DX bridge?

Just thinking out loud, but I did recently inquire about an M-Scaler home demo. (Of course there is always the option of @Ragnar-BY's home made ferrite cables. Or @Triode User WAVEs. I think I would utilise either of the ferrite solutions as well as the Opto-DX though. To stop the last section of the dual coax picking up stray RFI from just around itself.)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #9,049 of 18,436
if i to jump from these to Hugo 2 TT + M-Scaler, what should i expect in term of

Sound Stage
Treble
Mids
Bass.

FYI i am a Treble head.

regarding M-scaler alone what should i expect from it? is it a day and night change with m-scaler? since the price alone is quite a lot. it would be sad if it was a sublte changes with m-scaler alone.

With respect, I would suggest that you screw all those silly concepts such as treble, bass etc, and just listen to the music?
I’ve lived with the M Scaler for a week now, and I was very, very, VERY sceptical before I bought it.
However, after a week of living with it, I now regard the TT2 without HMS to be crude and uncouth. I never thought I’d be saying that about a Chord DAC.
The HMS ‘doesn’t do well’ in quick A-B-A-B comparisons, and it takes extended listening to really realise it’s benefits. Plus a ‘black box’ which costs almost a month’s net salary might seem ridiculous, but live with it for a while and you’ll never look back!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #9,050 of 18,436
With respect, I would suggest that you screw all those silly concepts such as treble, bass etc, and just listen to the music?
I’ve lived with the M Scaler for a week now, and I was very, very, VERY sceptical before I bought it.
However, after a week of living with it, I now regard the TT2 without HMS to be crude and uncouth. I never thought I’d be saying that about a Chord DAC.
The HMS ‘doesn’t do well’ in quick A-B-A-B comparisons, and it takes extended listening to really realise it’s benefits. Plus a ‘black box’ which costs almost a month’s net salary might seem ridiculous, but live with it for a while and you’ll never look back!
haha i am sold then <3 thanks!

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #9,051 of 18,436
The HMS ‘doesn’t do well’ in quick A-B-A-B comparisons, and it takes extended listening to really realise it’s benefits.

What type of music (live vs studio, electric vs acoustic instruments) you listened most this week during evaluation?
Do you you think different type may have different impact?

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #9,052 of 18,436
I was thinking about the M-Scaler, and the opto-DX. I was wondering what the consensus was if there was one, on power supplies for the Opto-DX.

I presume we buy our own power supplies. I have a box with a few 12V wall adapter supplies in, but they will not be fancy with RFI filtering I guess.

What worries me is that folk are saying noise can leak across the Opto-DX via the power supplies. If they are on a single power strip anyway. Maybe if the power supplies were on separate power strips, filtering might take place, with the power strip. Like the Tacima CS947. https://www.whathifi.com/tacima/cs947/review (Not quoting the What HiFi review for anything more than demonstration.)

I have two power strips anyway. One Tacima and one Sound Fantastic. Would splitting the Opto-DX power supplies across those not separate the PSU noise, by mains conditioning?

I know that folk were talking recently about the Power Pilot Battery packs. However while I admire that noise free solution, I'd rather not myself use a battery powered system. I know that folk said they charged and played sometimes, but I'd like to avoid that. I'd just like a regular PSU solution. (I'll not hold on to that though. As if I bought an M-Scaler, there's a good chance I'd end up with batteries.)

Coaxial cables aside, am please just asking if my idea might work. Or are there other solutions for blocking RFI noise from sneaking across the Opto-DX bridge?

Just thinking out loud, but I did recently inquire about an M-Scaler home demo. (Of course there is always the option of @Ragnar-BY's home made ferrite cables. Or @Triode User WAVEs. I think I would utilise either of the ferrite solutions as well as the Opto-DX though. To stop the last section of the dual coax picking up stray RFI from just around itself.)

Okay ... there has, as you say, been quite a lot on this. I very much sympathise re wishing to avoid batteries - and, from what I can see it is perfectly possible to do so.

I have found that using a single (though high quality) lps power supply to drive the Opto DX boxes and HMS is a "no-no". The key thing, however, is to avoid come what may, a single transformer powers the HMS and the Opto DX receiver.

For some weeks, I have been running both sides of the Opto DX from that single (good) power supply and the HMS either from a battery or using the HMS's original power supply - with the DAC running off the same power strip - with great results (better with the HMS on a battery, but not essential).

What I cannot say, yet, is whether a separate (good quality) power supply for each side of the Opto DX bridge makes much difference (Ray's experience suggests it does).

What I hope to try in about a month is to separate the digital side to a different set of sockets and move it 4m away from the DAC. I think Dan's view is that if the digital side is properly separated (distance is one of way - and, a relatively cheap, way of trying to achieve this), there should be little to be gained from ferrites between the Opto DX receiver and the DAC (and that the best way of minimising nasties is to use the supplied, short, BNC cables). I get the impression that some others may have taken a different view (e.g using a Shunyata Alpha at the receiver end - but I was not clear from the post if distance was involved as well) ... Best of luck.

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #9,053 of 18,436
What type of music (live vs studio, electric vs acoustic instruments) you listened most this week during evaluation?
Do you you think different type may have different impact?
I’ve listened to all types of music, everything from choral/opera/classical, to rock/pop/jazz.
Early impressions are that HMS has an equal impact on any/all music genres/types.

Nov 6, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #9,054 of 18,436
Okay ... there has, as you say, been quite a lot on this. I very much sympathise re wishing to avoid batteries - and, from what I can see it is perfectly possible to do so.

I have found that using a single (though high quality) lps power supply to drive the Opto DX boxes and HMS is a "no-no". The key thing, however, is to avoid come what may, a single transformer powers the HMS and the Opto DX receiver.

For some weeks, I have been running both sides of the Opto DX from that single (good) power supply and the HMS either from a battery or using the HMS's original power supply - with the DAC running off the same power strip - with great results (better with the HMS on a battery, but not essential).

What I cannot say, yet, is whether a separate (good quality) power supply for each side of the Opto DX bridge makes much difference (Ray's experience suggests it does).

What I hope to try in about a month is to separate the digital side to a different set of sockets and move it 4m away from the DAC. I think Dan's view is that if the digital side is properly separated (distance is one of way - and, a relatively cheap, way of trying to achieve this), there should be little to be gained from ferrites between the Opto DX receiver and the DAC (and that the best way of minimising nasties is to use the supplied, short, BNC cables). I get the impression that some others may have taken a different view (e.g using a Shunyata Alpha at the receiver end - but I was not clear from the post if distance was involved as well) ... Best of luck.

Sorry, what I meant to add, is do not worry that using a LPS for the Opto-DX is necessarily a bad thing! I know views vary, but in my experience a LPS is clearly better (other than for diagnostic purposes, i.e. to see what works and what does not) than a battery or batteries. Not sure at all about the technicalities - others who know much more than I do seem to attribute this to better voltage regulation. Whatever the ins-and-outs, the result via an LPS seems more 'confident' and 'assured'.

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #9,055 of 18,436
Can someone suggest a short-list of linear power supplies to consider for use with either the Opto DX and/or the M Scaler. And preferably at a range of different price points?

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #9,056 of 18,436
Can someone suggest a short-list of linear power supplies to consider for use with either the Opto DX and/or the M Scaler. And preferably at a range of different price points?

I have Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 on the ODX RX unit (clean side) and a PowerAdd Pilot2 batter on the ODX TX unit (dirty side). The LPS 1.2 is always mains disconnected, so it keeps your isolated DAC isolated.

I have also tried a Paul Hynes SR4 on the ODX RX unit. While it is not mains isolated, I did hear a slight uptick in SQ with the PH supply. However, for me, the PH supply had a bigger positive impact elsewhere in my chain.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #9,057 of 18,436
Each device has different thresholds. In the case of TT2, the FPGA ADC measures the incoming voltage and if it's too low will trigger a shutdown - so that pulling the PSU will mean no switch off thumps. If memory serves, I set that to 11v or so. If the supply exceeds 15.5v, then the power high error will trigger, ensuring that the super caps won't get over-voltage.

For the M scaler the upper range is the same at 15.5v, and the lower value is more like 5v.

Don't think about using audiophile linear PSUs, they will degrade the SQ and your warranty will be invalidated.

I know it’s been said before, probably countless times on this forum, BUT don’t you think we should follow Rob’s advice on this matter...??

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #9,058 of 18,436
I know it’s been said before, probably countless times on this forum, BUT don’t you think we should follow Rob’s advice on this matter...??

As to whether alternative power supplies make a difference with either the Opto DX or the M Scaler itself, I'd rather find out for myself.

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #9,059 of 18,436
As to whether alternative power supplies make a difference with either the Opto DX or the M Scaler itself, I'd rather find out for myself.
If you choose to ignore the designer’s technical advice on this matter, and also risk invalidating you’re warranty, then go for it!

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #9,060 of 18,436
I do think we should follow Rob's advice. And I would also like his advice as to why/how RF interference is creating distortion in some instances.

I was unpleasantly surprised to find that testing the M Scaler with TT2 in my home system did not match the showroom experience. Introducing the M Scaler also introduced a sharpening and distorting of some high frequencies, largely masking the benefits of the M Scaler itself. I did not have the problem with the TT2 on its own.

We have been discussing "RF/EMI" problems in this thread for the last few months, to the point of going crazy. That is what has lead to exploring LPSs, ferrites on cables, optical isolation, etc.

Not everyone has the problem as it seems to differ with individual situations. But for those who do have to resolve it, it would be great to get some quality advice from Rob.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back