Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 12, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #8,657 of 18,518
After listening to my TT2/M-Scaler with the new SOtM BNC cables all night and all day today, I gotta say, the stock BNC cables Chord supplies with the M-Scaler are super f-ing trash. Like it's literally night and day between the SoTM and Stock BNCs.

If any of you are still using the stock Chord BNCs, get some aftermarket ones asap

Looks like we have some similar gear. I’ve been debating on swapping my LCD-4s for Abyss TC for months, but I’ve demoed the TC and idk if I can let go of the LCD-4s to die for soulful midrange. TC is no doubt technically better, but those Audeze mids are everything to me. Anyway, I’ve only had my M Scaler for two days so I’m on stock Chord BNCs and I’m still blown away. Aftermarket ones are being made to order for me as I’m typing this and should arrive next week. I’m excited to hear the differences. They’re a modest $500/pair Audio Art D-1SE set that I’ll use until after the holidays when I can comfortably buy a set of WAVE Streams or Stealth Varadig 16Ts.

Oct 12, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #8,658 of 18,518
I am wondering if you can use a Mojo with the MScaler. I suppose this cord would work, but does it? Or is there a better cord? Also, does the sound improve much? I assume it would, but not as much as MScaler with the Hugo2 or TT2? I am thinking of getting the MScaler first, and then the TT2 when I have the money (assuming the improvement is worth it, the Mojo is great to me as it is!)
Thanks

Oct 12, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #8,659 of 18,518
I am wondering if you can use a Mojo with the MScaler. I suppose this cord would work, but does it? Or is there a better cord? Also, does the sound improve much? I assume it would, but not as much as MScaler with the Hugo2 or TT2? I am thinking of getting the MScaler first, and then the TT2 when I have the money (assuming the improvement is worth it, the Mojo is great to me as it is!)
Thanks
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-23#post-14402106

Oct 12, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #8,660 of 18,518
Thanks, some of my questions were answered there. Has anyone tried it and commented on their experience?

Oct 12, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #8,661 of 18,518
Thanks

I would suggest you’d get a more immediately noticeable upgrade getting the Hugo2 or TT2 first, then add an Mscaler after where it can be properly used as designed. From what I’ve read I reckon the sound improves in a more ‘feeling’ way with the Mscaler compared to a direct and noticeable upgrade with upgrading DACs from the Mojo. I don’t have the TT2 or Mscaler but do own the Hugo2 and DAVE and the improvements are definitely there over the Mojo (I still love the Mojo btw).

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #8,662 of 18,518
Looks like we have some similar gear. I’ve been debating on swapping my LCD-4s for Abyss TC for months, but I’ve demoed the TC and idk if I can let go of the LCD-4s to die for soulful midrange. TC is no doubt technically better, but those Audeze mids are everything to me. Anyway, I’ve only had my M Scaler for two days so I’m on stock Chord BNCs and I’m still blown away. Aftermarket ones are being made to order for me as I’m typing this and should arrive next week. I’m excited to hear the differences. They’re a modest $500/pair Audio Art D-1SE set that I’ll use until after the holidays when I can comfortably buy a set of WAVE Streams or Stealth Varadig 16Ts.

I get your trepidation to part with the LCD-4....I have it and the TC and I think the LCD-4 is the most underrated of the TOTL HP's...I go back and forth between the 2 and while they are very different sounding they are both extraordinary at what they do best....

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #8,663 of 18,518

Nice. I was blown away with the m-scaler and the stock bnc cables too, before the SoTMs cables. Matter of fact, I was blown away by the TT2/M-Scaler combo too, before the WA33. After a bit you start to hear the weaknesses in your components. I think that's kind of the fun thing about equipment actually. Your ear gradually gets accustomed to your components, and periphery changes, like cables, power,etc., make big impacts and are easily noticed. It's kind of like getting better versions of your equipment each time. You get to experience that, "wow, that sounds really amazing" multiple times with a piece of equipment. Also, if you are not accustomed to your equipment, you don't know what type of cables or upgrades to buy. Only through hearing the components properly do you know that you will need to buy something with more resolution, something with darker backgrounds, etc.

I think the LCD-4s are great headphones too, but I the TCs are in a different level altogether, in my opinion. You have a WA33 too, and the TCs are absolutely amazing on the the WA33. I put the Utopicas and LCD-4s in the same class, and I feel like that class is a step below the TCs. I haven't heard anything that sounded as good as the TCs. Now, I haven't heard the Susvaras, so maybe they are equal or better. The Susvaras are my next headphone purchase after I make some word clock upgrades (SOtM Trifecta, 10mhz master clock, etc).

I love this hobby! I'm super into computers and I custom make my own pcs with custom watercooling, etc., but you only have so many options in making the highest performing pc possible. There are quantifiable differences in PC components, so you know that a 2080ti will be better than a 2060, for example. But, with audio, there are so many options, things aren't so quantifiable, and you can make "small" changes (cables, etc) that make big differences. There are so many paths to take that it really is fun walking down one or the other.

Now, I've contemplated making an audiophile PC with all fancy sata cables, fan filters, word clocks, power etc., but I think the SOtM trifecta will be better (only the ethernet cable and usb cable influence the sound, to my knowledge), we'll see.

Oh, and I have new WA33 tubes coming in next week too. It's like Christmas every few weeks with new improvements to my chain. :wow:

I think for 2020, I'm gonna focus on my speaker setup. I think the first purchase there will be the TToby. I'll then continue to use my whole headphones setup and then buy some nice Danacable speaker cables. But, what speakers to get? :hmmm:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #8,664 of 18,518
can you give some impressions on your fostex's @Ciggavelli ? i've been looking at these as they are in my budget range to use with my tt2/hms? thanks mk.

Progisus you only get full benefit of tt2's galvanic isolation on usb if the usb source is battery powered IMHO. full isolation.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #8,666 of 18,518
it won't as you need chord wta1/2 type topology to utilise the full 1million taps from the mscaler. you would only get 500k taps with a third party dac. swapping qutest under these conditions is a step backwards.

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #8,667 of 18,518
500k is still better than Dave. There is so much more going on in providing good sound than just tap #’s. I’m back tonite to the TT at 500k and enjoying the synergy of it’s output with the Utopia’s over the H2.

Don’t say it.. get the TT2. I only need half the number of ferrites with the one cable.

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #8,668 of 18,518
dave may only have 164K taps but it has the highest order noise shaper, 20 element pulse array dac, highest quality audiophile components etc etc. to say 500K taps is better is an over simplification. all the theory is here for anyone to read.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #8,669 of 18,518
@Rob Watts im thiking of changing my qutest to the gryphon diablo 300 optional dac. The optional dac has dual bnc inputs, so my question is, do you know if the mscaler works with it at full potential? Thanks Rob

I know it says it has ‘dual bnc inputs’ but I suspect that just means it has ‘two bnc inputs’. In fact it goes in to say that they are for two individual components to be plugged into the dac. I doubt very much that a non chord dac can cope with the Mscaler dual bnc protocol.

Oct 13, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #8,670 of 18,518
I would suggest you’d get a more immediately noticeable upgrade getting the Hugo2 or TT2 first, then add an Mscaler after where it can be properly used as designed. From what I’ve read I reckon the sound improves in a more ‘feeling’ way with the Mscaler compared to a direct and noticeable upgrade with upgrading DACs from the Mojo. I don’t have the TT2 or Mscaler but do own the Hugo2 and DAVE and the improvements are definitely there over the Mojo (I still love the Mojo btw).

If you ask me, mojo, although the baby of the chord family, it is the best bang for buck that anyone can buy in the dac category of $£1000 and under, and now that it's only £299 everywhere, it's a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back