Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 3, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #331 of 18,495
And Davina will mean significant additional expense on top of Mscaler, so out of my reach.
Let's remember that we don't even need to own DAVINA anymore once the recording part is done. In other words, a group of friends could split the costs at the very beginning while we could even pay an owner to do the recording etc.

Granted *.FLAC files are only good for 384kHz while 768kHz *.WAV files should be huge since they're uncompressed. Fortunately hard drives are only getting cheaper and cheaper, about $300 for 10TB and $400 for 12TB respectively.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #332 of 18,495
Let's remember that we don't even need to own DAVINA anymore once the recording part is done. In other words, a group of friends could split the costs at the very beginning while we could even pay an owner to do the recording etc.

Granted *.FLAC files are only good for 384kHz while 768kHz *.WAV files should be huge since they're uncompressed. Fortunately hard drives are only getting cheaper and cheaper, about $300 for 10TB and $400 for 12TB respectively.

Unfortunately in my case I would not have people with who I could share costs for the recording setup.

Yes, I am desktop PC listener only so storage size is zero problem to me.
I mentioned the problem of carrying Mscaler (and external battery) to try to motivate Rob to help us (and himself) on getting those files pre-Mscaled :)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #334 of 18,495
What is mojo's special 768kHz operation? nobody knows...:dark_sunglasses:

I bet mojo/0.5M taps will kick H2 in the backside........:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #335 of 18,495
I would say that the MScaler, even the cheaoer HugoMScaler, is a huge amount of money to use and only get part of the perfomace with the mojo. When I first got my Blu2 MScaler I used the switches on the back to get partial MScaling and it was not at all the same jaw dropping sound. The only way to decide if it is worth the outlay is for you to hear an MScaler with the mojo especially because you say buying the HMS would be a huge effort. That might mean waiting until dealers have demo units later in the year.

Well the Mcaler + Mojo solution would be permanent only if I could feed the 705K into Mojo, either by the specified 768K 3.5mm jack, or by USB (with a BNC to USB converter).
Else it would be a temporary solution till I could afford a Hugo2. But I really I am not leaning on spending so much on a Chord DAC system. 3.5K may be really my definitive limit

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #336 of 18,495
I too can afford a scaler without H2. Using my mojo sounds silly realming into sci-fi now. Mojoscaler the next chapter. So i revert to TT2 as its in my budget. Then i revert back to transformational scaler a bit of a catch 22. Maybe just maybe a used H2 will do it.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #337 of 18,495
What is mojo's special 768kHz operation? nobody knows...:dark_sunglasses:

I bet mojo/0.5M taps will kick H2 in the backside........:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Well, since Chord specifies the 768K (on the 3.5mm input jack) in three places (website, user manual, and Box outside) I think we are entitled a clarification of what that means, and specially why an advertised feature does not work/exist.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #338 of 18,495
I too can afford a scaler without H2. Using my mojo sounds silly realming into sci-fi now. Mojoscaler the next chapter. So i revert to TT2 as its in my budget. Then i revert back to transformational scaler a bit of a catch 22. Maybe just maybe a used H2 will do it.

A TT is also a waste for me, as I use headphones only.
it is difficult to get a product tailored to my needs: desktop only, headphones only, no wireless, no batteries. It always has to come with unused pieces which end raising cost and even eventually compromising quality of other parts (e.g aditional connectors noise, BT noise, DAC stop functioning after battery dies).

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #339 of 18,495
Why is TT a waste racebit. I only use headphones and the TT2 has 3 headphones out. It is designed for headphone use.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #340 of 18,495
Well, since Chord specifies the 768K (on the 3.5mm input jack) in three places (website, user manual, and Box outside) I think we are entitled a clarification of what that means, and specially why an advertised feature does not work/exist.

I believe what it means is that the 3.5mm coax on the mojo can read up to 768k if it was fed such data... however what it doesnt have is the dual data mode coax that is present in the hugo 2, which allows the Hugo 2 to work with the blu2 and HMS via adapter (3.5mm coax to dual BNC). Hence, you can only use the spdif out of the HMS that is limited to 384khz (ie 500k taps) into the mojo using a SINGLE BNC to 3.5mm digital coax cable.

It’s not that the mojo cant read 768k, it’s because the HMS cant output 768k in a format the mojo can read.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #341 of 18,495
I believe what it means is that the 3.5mm coax on the mojo can read up to 768k if it was fed such data... however what it doesnt have is the dual data mode coax that is present in the hugo 2, which allows the Hugo 2 to work with the blu2 and HMS via adapter (3.5mm coax to dual BNC). Hence, you can only use the spdif out of the HMS that is limited to 384khz (ie 500k taps) into the mojo using a SINGLE BNC to 3.5mm digital coax cable.

It’s not that the mojo cant read 768k, it’s because the HMS cant output 768k in a format the mojo can read.

Yes, mojo and mscaler is limited to 384khz. Rob mentioned that before.

H2 and up is 705-768khz.

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #342 of 18,495
Yes, mojo and mscaler is limited to 384khz. Rob mentioned that before.

H2 and up is 705-768khz.
Is that with flac Files or do they need to be 24 bit to reach 768 kHz?

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #343 of 18,495
Excuse me if I missed it, but how is the dual BNC output used to output the full upscaling to the input of the Hugo2?

I was contemplating trading in the Hugo2 for the M Scaler and Hugo TT2, but if I can utilize the full features of the M Scaler via the Hugo2, it seems reasonable to just order the M Scaler and keep using the Hugo2 since it’s portability is still useful to me when I travel.

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #344 of 18,495
Excuse me if I missed it, but how is the dual BNC output used to output the full upscaling to the input of the Hugo2?

I was contemplating trading in the Hugo2 for the M Scaler and Hugo TT2, but if I can utilize the full features of the M Scaler via the Hugo2, it seems reasonable to just order the M Scaler and keep using the Hugo2 since it’s portability is still useful to me when I travel.

Thanks!
The coax input can be used, a dual bnc to coax connector is required - I think moon audio already have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back