Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 4, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #361 of 18,493
Why is TT a waste racebit. I only use headphones and the TT2 has 3 headphones out. It is designed for headphone use.

Well, the TT2 costs more than double the Hugo 2, costs more than Mscaler, and offers very little compared to Hugo2.
It doubles the Hugo2 taps, but if 500K taps (Macaler +Mojo) is not good enough, why would I pay more to get 100K taps? Buying a Mscaler to use with Mojo wouls be cheaper and way better. Compared to TT2 alone.

Also I don't care about all those inputs outputs, including the DX ones. It was designed as a preamp for speakers, it can even drive some speakers directly.
Not to mention useless external connectors may be source of additional noise.

One odd thing is that Chord says Hugo2 does not have and does not need balanced outputs because Hugo2 not using standard DAC chips does not have balance issues like the other brand DACs. But then they put balanced outputs on Hugo TT 2...

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #362 of 18,493
The 768 kHz operation refers to USB only.

As too M scaler with Mojo - I agree with @Triode User in that you would need to listen first. The 0.5M taps (384k) to full 1M (768) is a big change, so listen to the M scaler first with your Mojo and compare it with a Hugo 2.

Sorry Rob, the three places specify explicitly 768KHz on 3.5mm Coax input, not on USB. If it is a typo it should be corrected.
I understood clearly from your excellent presentation (on video) that something special happens when going from 0.5 M to 1M taps, and therefore we should aim to 1M taps. I am following you all the way.
But not being able to buy both Hugo 2 at Mscaler at the moment, only one of those, wouldn't the 500K of Mscaler + Mojo be significantly better than 50K or 100K from Hugo 2 or Hugo TT2 alone?

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #363 of 18,493
If I listen to a 44/16 and a 96/24 track made from the same master played on a H2, and I can't hear any difference in audio quality to my ears, is it safe to say I would not get much if any benefit of adding an MScalar to my H2?

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #364 of 18,493
I believe what it means is that the 3.5mm coax on the mojo can read up to 768k if it was fed such data... however what it doesnt have is the dual data mode coax that is present in the hugo 2, which allows the Hugo 2 to work with the blu2 and HMS via adapter (3.5mm coax to dual BNC). Hence, you can only use the spdif out of the HMS that is limited to 384khz (ie 500k taps) into the mojo using a SINGLE BNC to 3.5mm digital coax cable.

It’s not that the mojo cant read 768k, it’s because the HMS cant output 768k in a format the mojo can read.

And why wouldn't the HMS be able to produce the same format accepted by Mojo, given that it would be Chord implemented format, an that the HMS comes after the Mojo?
I think the reason is that Mojo 3.5mm Coax really can't handle 768K, no matter the format. That is somewhat implicit on rob reply on a further post.
Also, on the video presentation Rob mentions he kind of regrets not having given the 705K or 768K capability to Mojo. It seemed he would make it work (Mojo connection at 705K) now if he could.
That is no problem, I am not complaining at all, it is what it is. I just want to get things clear.

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #365 of 18,493
And why wouldn't the HMS be able to produce the same format accepted by Mojo, given that it would be Chord implemented format, an that the HMS comes after the Mojo?
I think the reason is that Mojo 3.5mm Coax really can't handle 768K, no matter the format. That is somewhat implicit on rob reply on a further post.
Also, on the video presentation Rob mentions he kind of regrets not having given the 705K or 768K capability to Mojo. It seemed he would make it work (Mojo connection at 705K) now if he could.
That is no problem, I am not complaining at all, it is what it is. I just want to get things clear.
Rob answered only a few posts ago.
Why not check first, before continuing a stream of complaints? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-24#post-14402373
There are many of us on the chord threads, who are only too happy to help with answers, but it is very frustrating when new posters keep complaining, without putting any effort in themselves to check if the solution already exists.
Now, do you want to take a step back, and start the conversation again, or do you expect other posters to use up their saturday evenings, answering a continual stream of complaints?

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #366 of 18,493
When I mentioned pairing Mojo with M-Scaler it was just for curiosity, Mojo only takes 250K or 500K taps anyway so it would have half or more unused. You would do better by spending that M-Scaler money on a TT2.

Why would I be better with 100K taps (TT2) over 500K taps (Mscalr + Mojo), and even paying more for that 4K (TT2) vs 3.5K (Mscaler) ?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #367 of 18,493
Rob answered only a few posts ago.
Why not check first, before continuing a stream of complaints? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-24#post-14402373
There are many of us on the chord threads, who are only too happy to help with answers, but it is very frustrating when new posters keep complaining, without putting any effort in themselves to check if the solution already exists.
Now, do you want to take a step back, and start the conversation again, or do you expect other posters to use up their saturday evenings, answering a continual stream of complaints?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-24#post-14402373

No he did not answer. My question is *why* it does not support. Rob just states it does not support, not why.

Yes I read that post from Rob before posting. I read all the thread. I even copy paste all posts from Rob to a private file, so that I can access it easily.

Moreover I did no complain anything. I even said: "That is no problem, I am not complaining at all, it is what it is. I just want to get things clear."

It seems it was you that did no read correctly before posting.
Goodbye. I am logging off permanently.

Aug 4, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #368 of 18,493
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-24#post-14402373

No he did not answer. My question is *why* it does not support. Rob just states it does not support, not why.

Yes I read that post from Rob before posting. I read all the thread. I even copy paste all posts from Rob to a private file, so that I can access it easily.

Moreover I did no complain anything. I even said: "That is no problem, I am not complaining at all, it is what it is. I just want to get things clear."

It seems it was you that did no read correctly before posting.
Goodbye. I am logging off permanently.
Whatever, you are completely unaware how you are coming across.
This is a weekend, in the middle of the european summer, and posting that you do nor receive an instantaneous response, from people who are spending time with their families, is counter productive for you.

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #370 of 18,493

Hmm, I dont have a 768khz file and my Cayin n5ii anymore. Would have gladly tried using the n5ii as transport, digital out usb-c into 3.5mm coax into the mojo. Would have liked to update u if the mojo could decode the file or not just to check if the spec is a typo or not...
The stark difference between h2 and mojo coax is the dual data mode tho...

Also, when you talk about the difference between TT2 and a Mojo, it goes beyond taps... remember the TT2 can drive any headphone in the market with authority while the Mojo can’t. Of course if you’re using it in a home system or are using a different amp, the differences wouldn’t be as drastic, and you could utilize the mojo mscaler then upgrade to a TT 2 or h2 down the road.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #371 of 18,493
Why would I be better with 100K taps (TT2) over 500K taps (Mscalr + Mojo), and even paying more for that 4K (TT2) vs 3.5K (Mscaler) ?

We who have heard an MScaler at half throttle know that it is not really worth the expense. However in an earlier post I said that the only person who can decide that sort of thing is you after you have heard it but it would not be my recommendation as s way to go. On the other hand we do not know if all your music is listened to ‘on the go’ and whether that is why you have mojo. In which case there is little point in even debating TT2.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #372 of 18,493
We who have heard an MScaler at half throttle know that it is not really worth the expense. However in an earlier post I said that the only person who can decide that sort of thing is you after you have heard it but it would not be my recommendation as s way to go. On the other hand we do not know if all your music is listened to ‘on the go’ and whether that is why you have mojo. In which case there is little point in even debating TT2.

Maybe going from 164k taps to 500,000 isn't worth the investment but the difference from 26k should surely be greater.

But I agree its best to audition first before spending that kind of money.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #373 of 18,493
To recap, there is a big jump from 0.5M tapes to 1M tapes in sound quality.

And Blu2/HMS supports Hugo2, Qutest, TT2 and Dave, and any Dac supports “AES3id” inputs (Dual BNC inputs) too, leave this for Rob to confirm. Else DON"T buy Blu2/HMS!!! This is money in your pocket and don't angry because the spec of the Blu/HMS doesn't meet the spec of your Dac.

And I believe the lower the Res, 44, 88, the more benefits you will get! The catch is it's must be original, no up-sampling before!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #374 of 18,493
three places specify explicitly 768KHz on 3.5mm Coax input, not on USB.

I only found one:

Screenshot_20180804-182801_1.jpg

This section doesn't mention 768 kHz:

Screenshot_20180804-182930_1.jpg

I say "special operation" = mono :wink:

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #375 of 18,493
So, if I’m running iTunes streaming on my PC with Apple Lossless or AAC at 192 KHz and 24 bits and then my PC is passing it to my Hugo 2 (or M Scaler and then Hugo 2), I likely won’t get audible benefits versus streaming redbook 44.1 KHz and 16 bit?

Or what about Tidal lossless, any benefit to be had with the algorithm if you’re streaming very high lossless KHz and bit rate? I’m guessing not because you’re already reconstructing the original ADC perfectly with lossless?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back