Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 6, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #391 of 18,285
Many thanks Rob excellent new knowledge.

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #393 of 18,285
Please @Rob Watts can you tell me if I connect my smart TV via optical output to mscaler then to Hugo 2. I'll get at least 705 kHz

Yes you will. But for video you will need the video filter for reasonable lip sync - and this is then 2/3 M taps, but still will be 705/768 kHz OP on the dual BNC OP's.

Aug 6, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #394 of 18,285
Please @Rob Watts can you tell me if I connect my smart TV via optical output to mscaler then to Hugo 2. I'll get at least 705 kHz
I would expect so, but Rob can confirm or otherwise.
I connect my smart TV via optical to Mojo or Hugo 2, without any problems, and they do enhance the sound.
I do wonder if the MScaler will be overkill for most TV programs, but it could be useful for concerts etc.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #396 of 18,285
USB/optical do perform the same. Sorry repeat question deleted.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #399 of 18,285
1,015,808 Taps

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #400 of 18,285
Blu-ray films, with an appropriate video delay (-0.63 S on JRiver) sound stupendous - cavernous sound stage and huge instrument separation when you get the full 1M taps...
I watched alien 1979 directors cut, on Blu-ray with hugo2 and Hd800s, the soundscape was outrageous. You can’t get any closer to being there. So much effort the sound guys put into the little effects, but I never heard them before.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #401 of 18,285
So I have two BNC cables for Hugo 2 - one is about 15 cm long, and is a soldered together cables from a video BNC cable and a standard 3.5 mm cable. The other cable is a cheap "giveaway" type 1.5m RCA to phono with BNC adaptors, so I thought I would listen to both cables.

Initially, the short cable sounded better, with slightly better depth. But it was inconsistent. Then I noticed the difference was how the headphone cable cable was placed made a difference. So in both cases, the headphone cable was not allowed to touch the 3.5mm/BNC cables; and Hugo 2 was moved so each 3.5mm/BNC cable was stretched out; then the inconsistency on the AB listening test was removed. I could no longer hear a difference between the two cables.

So make sure the headphone cable does not touch the digital cable seems to be the most important factor; length of the cable is not important; I guess the only factor now is whether a true 75 ohm BNC cables connected to the 3.5 mm connector directly helps. My instinct is that it would not make much of a difference, but I will need to wait till I get home till I try that test.

But for sure, Hugo M scaler and Hugo 2 does not need exact 75 ohm cables for it to function. I have put digital de-glitch circuitry on the SPDIF inputs, so the digital extraction is tolerant of impedance mismatch.

As too needing high quality transducers - well I can hear the effect of the M scaler using cheap computer loudspeakers... So any quality HP will do. But you will of course get a bigger difference using transparent transducers.

Thank you very much for the quick response, Mr.Rob Watts. Finally I could get an answer. I can wait for the release peacefully.
I believe in the sound quality of HUGO M Scaler + HUGO2 which you reported. And I respect all the work you have done for
HUGO M Scaler. I'm sure I will listen and buy HUGO M Scaler.

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #402 of 18,285
Delighted to see that the M Scaler USB input is a USB Type B connector. While I understand the need for Micro USB connectors on portable devices like the Mojo and Hugo 2, they can get a bit fiddly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back