Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #8,641 of 18,292
For those interested in tube sound from Chord DACs: a budget-friendlier solution and theoretically better than any (other) tube amp.

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #8,642 of 18,292
So, how do I turn it off? A button combo like the dimming? I seriously just unplugged it last night. Is there an auto on/off setting when used with TT2? I’m lost.

If it isn't fed a digital signal it has auto shutdown.

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #8,643 of 18,292
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #8,645 of 18,292
Quick question about the M Scaler as I can't seem to find a definite answer in the manual...

Are all digital outputs simultaneous?

In other words, can I send dual BNC out to the TT2 while also sending an optical signal out to an Anthem AVM 60?

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #8,646 of 18,292
you can also dim the lights easily via the button on the remote control.

what Amp is that?

Wave cables do allow you a return period with no penalty. Just an FYI. :)

Which button? Just the two DX buttons at the same time? It’s a Woo Audio WA33 tube amp. I’m definitely here for the Wave cables but I gotta save up for those bad boys lol. If I do something, I do it right so I’ll be shooting for the higher end ones.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #8,647 of 18,292
Oh here’s a stupid question. How do you turn HMS on and off?? It turns on when I plug it in but there’s no on/off button/switch. Not even on the remote and it doesn’t explain it in the quick start guide or PDF manuals on the Chord website. Maybe I’m blind idk.

Like one have said, it will auto shutdown or went to standby mode when no signal was feed. Therefore the temperature will drop.

It's good to leave hifi equipment always on, other than those tube or power amp without standby mode.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #8,648 of 18,292
Which button? Just the two DX buttons at the same time? It’s a Woo Audio WA33 tube amp. I’m definitely here for the Wave cables but I gotta save up for those bad boys lol. If I do something, I do it right so I’ll be shooting for the higher end ones.

the button on the remote is ‘Dim’ or something like that. Oh wait, maybe I’m thinking about the TT2.

Oct 11, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #8,649 of 18,292
Oct 11, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #8,650 of 18,292
did you not say you were now using the tt2 in place of the dave as it was more fleshy and organic? you've lost me here.

with respect to the ferrites can someone reassure me that these cost effective tweaks don't go against what Rob said concerning how adding ferrites decreases SQ with HMS as it already has internal mini ferrites?

the lightning was the only Britsh built and designed fighter jet to go over mach 2.

Amber have a look at the earmax pro tube amp. Real German quality for 500. i use to have one. here's a link. http://theac.co.uk/earmax.html

Plus, the lightning had supercruise in the 1950s, which the americans claim only was invented with the F22 faptor. Oh, and it was the only military aircraft in history to intercept and overtake concorde as it was doing mach 2.0 over the atlantic, the british based F15s, couldn't even intercept her, let alone overtake it.

They used concorde as a training target to replicate mach 2 russian capable bombers.

Anyway, thanks for the link, I will go check it out. cheers MK

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #8,651 of 18,292
When feeding M Scaler with usb is a usb 3 port or usb 2 port preferred?

Oct 12, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #8,652 of 18,292
no difference. AFAIK. chord drivers for window//driverless for mac.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #8,653 of 18,292
When feeding M Scaler with usb is a usb 3 port or usb 2 port preferred?

In my experience the mscaler sounds just as whateva on USB 2 as it does on USB 3, but YMMV.

However, TT2 on it's own via USB 3.1 sounds great and remarkably clear, thats just my initial findings from the beginning of a 2 week non mscaled debugging exercise that I've named Operation Overlord.

Yup, you guessed it, it's D-Day.

I Will probably not publish my findings in Nature magazine and the BMJ.

Oct 12, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #8,654 of 18,292
I’ve tried all three inputs to ms and heard no difference. The usb shows up in Roon as the mscaler which is nice. I think I’ll keep it on usb for awhile. It is galvanically isolated also so should be as noiseless as optical and rfi proof. When first starting a stream there is slight pop which is a bit annoying.

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #8,655 of 18,292
After listening to my TT2/M-Scaler with the new SOtM BNC cables all night and all day today, I gotta say, the stock BNC cables Chord supplies with the M-Scaler are super f-ing trash. Like it's literally night and day between the SoTM and Stock BNCs.

If any of you are still using the stock Chord BNCs, get some aftermarket ones asap

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back