Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 12, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #8,191 of 18,516
For those who are using or considering using a Pilot Pro 2, I highly recommend this DC cable from Ghent Audio:

http://ghentaudio.com/part/dc-7n16c.html

It makes a significant improvement in sound quality. If you think the Pilot Pro 2 is good with the stock cable and adapter, you'll be surprised at how much better it can be with the Ghent cable.

Note: the cable is stiff, so you may want to order one with a little extra length.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #8,192 of 18,516
It doesn't have to be real time, you can do a 256 million tap filter today with a little conversion utility that could be done with a few a hundred lines of code.
It will still be 768kHz regardless of taps, smaller than DSD files, and it won't have any latency due to the FIR when played.
You can convert audio from a movie and watch it with no delay. Chord can still have hardware solutions for streaming.

Makes no sense to me, Rob could do 256m taps today and play it on Dave (or even Mojo), no need to wait for FPGA's.
It doesn't have to even be an optimized WTA one either. When you have millions of taps, its not hard to get good performance.
It's not a secret what the filter is since it is a sinc function with Rob's own window applied. Not much to hide in a software solution.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #8,193 of 18,516
It doesn't have to be real time, you can do a 256 million tap filter today with a little conversion utility that could be done with a few a hundred lines of code.
It will still be 768kHz regardless of taps, smaller than DSD files, and it won't have any latency due to the FIR when played.
You can convert audio from a movie and watch it with no delay. Chord can still have hardware solutions for streaming.

Makes no sense to me, Rob could do 256m taps today and play it on Dave (or even Mojo), no need to wait for FPGA's.
It doesn't have to even be an optimized WTA one either. When you have millions of taps, its not hard to get good performance.
It's not a secret what the filter is since it is a sinc function with Rob's own window applied. Not much to hide in a software solution.
Oh well, if it is that simple, then I challenge you to write the code during this weekend, then distribute free copies of the software to all interested posters on this thread.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #8,194 of 18,516

Can you explain why the HQPlayer filters don’t get the sonic results with Chord dacs that Rob’s hardware solution does? Miska says probably not going to get results with Chord dacs.

A software solution would be nice as most everyone is running a computer somewhere in the chain.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #8,197 of 18,516
Can you explain to me why Rob shouldn't or can't do it?
Did I ask for anyone else to do it?

Rob has explained before on headfi and a search would find it.

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #8,199 of 18,516
Storage space? 705/768 kHz results in 2500-3000% larger file sizes compared to 44.1 kHz Flac files. So if you have a 4 TB HDD full of music you might need about 100 TB after conversion.

And I still doubt that it would provide M Scaler like sound quality (see Progisus).

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #8,200 of 18,516
Can you explain why the HQPlayer filters don’t get the sonic results with Chord dacs that Rob’s hardware solution does? Miska says probably not going to get results with Chord dacs.

A software solution would be nice as most everyone is running a computer somewhere in the chain.

You purchased a mscaler right? Repeat your hqplayer tests: source computer > upsample to 16fs (705.6/768 pcm) > USB to mscaler > dual coax to a chord DAC. With the hqplayer poly xtr filter and noise shaping I am really, really hard pressed to discern a difference. Going through mscaler bypass in this manner really does sound better than USB direct to a chord DAC ...indicating to me that this is the proper way to do hqplayer/WTA1 comparisons. They really are close, IMO.

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #8,201 of 18,516
You purchased a mscaler right? Repeat your hqplayer tests: source computer > upsample to 16fs (705.6/768 pcm) > USB to mscaler > dual coax to a chord DAC. With the hqplayer poly xtr filter and noise shaping I am really, really hard pressed to discern a difference. Going through mscaler bypass in this manner really does sound better than USB direct to a chord DAC ...indicating to me that this is the proper way to do hqplayer/WTA1 comparisons. They really are close, IMO.
I did buy mscaler so...

Roon-wifi-mbpro/hqplayer-usb-mscaler-dual coax H2-bypass
vs
Roon-wifi-mbpro/nohqplayer-usb-mscaler-dual coax H2-white

I would setup hqplayer as 705/768 poly xtr

Sound right for the test? Doesn’t that still need the mscaler to get the bypass? Audiobacon says he feels bypass adds something.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #8,202 of 18,516
Sound right for the test? Doesn’t that still need the mscaler to get the bypass? Audiobacon says he feels bypass adds something.

Yes. That would work. If mscaler is fed max resolution (705.6/768) then it's always in bypass and it's just doing a translation from USB to dual-coax. Can't comment if Rob is touching the bits ..but I would hazard to say no, the difference is just the RF noise profile is different on USB>HMS>DX>DAC than USB>DAC.

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #8,203 of 18,516
Yes. That would work. If mscaler is fed max resolution (705.6/768) then it's always in bypass and it's just doing a translation from USB to dual-coax. Can't comment if Rob is touching the bits ..but I would hazard to say no, the difference is just the RF noise profile is different on USB>HMS>DX>DAC than USB>DAC.
OK. I’ll try that setup this weekend (after golf of course). I will also try the digiOne to coax (non bypass) with the mbpro to usb (bypass and hqp). I can group the two through Roon for easier AB. I realize different sources have different noise.

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #8,204 of 18,516
My M-Scaler came in today so this will be brief.

Guys.... I've never heard digital music sound so good.

Bass lines are easy to follow and down right addicting. Nothing is blurred, every cymbal has texture, every impact has a start and stop. Sound stage is enveloping, a tenfold ahead, voices are REAL!

The M-Scaler simply makes digital music excellent. THIS is what I was looking for!

Well done Rob!!!

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #8,205 of 18,516
Sound right for the test?
It might be not 100% right.

M Scaler is not only upscaling, it is converting USB to coax, providing additional isolation and so on. So if the test is intended to prove or disprove that HQPlayer can be an alternative to M Scaler, HQP should do it without M Scaler in chain. There are no other S/PDIF converters that support this sample rate, so it should be able to do it via DAC`s USB input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back