Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 9, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #8,161 of 18,518
The accuracy of reconstruction depends upon the input signal; so if we put a regular sine wave into an M scaler, then it will reconstruct the output to many times better than 24 bits; the problem starts when your input signal changes from a steady state signal (like a sine wave) to a transient, and then the reconstruction accuracy fails. And accuracy of transient reconstruction is vital as it affects the way the brain processes sound to build up the auditory illusion. Now the problem we have is that different transients will have different errors with different filters; but we can say with certainty that a sinc filter will perfectly reconstruct a bandwidth limited signal; and we can also say the M scaler is the same as sinc to 16.7 bits; that means we will get better than 16.7 bit reconstruction under all circumstances - indeed with a 1 kHz sine wave we would be looking at 32 bit accuracy or so, way better than the analogue portions of the DAC of course.
Rob, as a signal resolution has two components, amplitude and time (sample rate), if doubling taps increases amplitude resolution by 1 bit, what is the relation between taps and sample frequency increase? Can the taps be used for increasing both amplitude resolution and time resolution (rate) as we wish and according to the actual programming code used? If so what criteria do you use or think is best to choose between more amplitude resolution vs time resolution?

Sep 9, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #8,163 of 18,518
My observations with my new mscaler connected to H2 and TT1.

Firstly it would be hard to return to listening without it.

It is superior with 1m taps and H2 as compared to 500k and TT1 but not by a power of 2. Maybe 20%.

It was not a waste of time to try with the TT1 and anyone considering using with a TT1, I would say you could be happy with that combo. The TT1 still has more body and driving ability than the H2. If I was to find another use for the H2 (2GO maybe), I could easily be happy with the 1. I will not be considering the TT2 unless the Loto comes in.

Wow! I am listening to Dream Theater - Metropolis which used to be a muddy mess and just looked up as I thought someone was talking to me over my shoulder.

BTW.. the Moon cable to H2 is fantastic build. I contacted them as to which connector went to which bnc output. They came back immediately with “they are autosensing”.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #8,164 of 18,518
I finally just ordered this damn thing. Now I have to deal with clicks, pops, gunshots, rfi and gamma radiation...

You’re biggest problem is that it will now make any of your other sources sound noticeably not as good as you thought they sounded.

I’ve pretty much ruined my mobile set up given how amazing the MScaler + TT2 sounds.

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #8,165 of 18,518
I just bought the M-Scaler too. I haven't demoed it so I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. Luckily from all the praise that I've seen over the past year it seems like the M-Scaler will be sublime with my TT-2.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #8,166 of 18,518
Good move.

Sep 9, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #8,167 of 18,518
Just curious, have you compared the LCD4z/LCD4 or HE1000SE to the Susvara? I have the HE1000SE but it has a bit of a treble peak that I find troublesome. I have been considering the LCD24 because I miss the bass of my LCD-X, but wanted the resolution, high-end extension, and overall transparency that the LCD-X lacked. I haven't tried the LCD24 yet but the writeups have been good so far and I really like the LCD-4. I was considering either the LCD-4Z or LCD-24 because I figured the Susvara would be too similar to the HE1000SE....

i love the 1000se...i sold my susvara and use the SE straight out of my dave/blu2 and think it is marvelous....

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #8,168 of 18,518
Just curious, have you compared the LCD4z/LCD4 or HE1000SE to the Susvara? I have the HE1000SE but it has a bit of a treble peak that I find troublesome. I have been considering the LCD24 because I miss the bass of my LCD-X, but wanted the resolution, high-end extension, and overall transparency that the LCD-X lacked. I haven't tried the LCD24 yet but the writeups have been good so far and I really like the LCD-4. I was considering either the LCD-4Z or LCD-24 because I figured the Susvara would be too similar to the HE1000SE....
As I mentioned the susvara via mTT2 is way better then the Lcd 24.

bass on 4z still deeper than susvara. But I’m still breaking it in... quite sure on a speaker amp bass on susvara would surpass 4z... going to try direct tt2 Xlr out and report back.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #8,169 of 18,518
Rob, as a signal resolution has two components, amplitude and time (sample rate), if doubling taps increases amplitude resolution by 1 bit, what is the relation between taps and sample frequency increase? Can the taps be used for increasing both amplitude resolution and time resolution (rate) as we wish and according to the actual programming code used? If so what criteria do you use or think is best to choose between more amplitude resolution vs time resolution?

OK, doubling the tap length doubles the sinc function accuracy - so we get an extra bit of accuracy by doubling the number of taps, when one uses a WTA algorithm (as WTA uniquely is identical to sinc for half the coefficients). When we run with double the sample rate, the same sinc function coefficients are used, but it's an 8 times filter for double speed (88.2 or 96) against the usual 16 times filter with single speed (44.1 or 48). So we get the same sinc function accuracy irrespective of incoming sample rate, the same coefficients, and the same number of data points (they just run through the filter faster), and the same amount of processing with other sample rates.

Sep 10, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #8,170 of 18,518
I finally just ordered this damn thing. Now I have to deal with clicks, pops, gunshots, rfi and gamma radiation...

And you thought Amberlamps avatar was photoshopped? Nup, just daily exposure to the MScaler.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #8,171 of 18,518
I use Poweradd pilot pro 2, set to 12V OP. I wouldn't bother with batteries for TT2 - unless you want to run it in the garden say - the supplied PSU works with no SQ change with it plugged out (you get 10 seconds disconnected to listen).

Does the Power Pro 2 come with the correct tip for the M Scaler? What is the correct size tip?

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #8,173 of 18,518
anyone who likes a bit of jazz, take 3 minutes to listen to this:

https://open.qobuz.com/track/67703459

Motherless Brooklyn, Thom Yorke, but really is Wynton Marsalis on cd 2.
rcel3xebimikb_600.jpg

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #8,174 of 18,518
OK, doubling the tap length doubles the sinc function accuracy - so we get an extra bit of accuracy by doubling the number of taps, when one uses a WTA algorithm (as WTA uniquely is identical to sinc for half the coefficients). When we run with double the sample rate, the same sinc function coefficients are used, but it's an 8 times filter for double speed (88.2 or 96) against the usual 16 times filter with single speed (44.1 or 48). So we get the same sinc function accuracy irrespective of incoming sample rate, the same coefficients, and the same number of data points (they just run through the filter faster), and the same amount of processing with other sample rates.

Thank you Rob. I appreciate the time you take to share your wonderful technology with us.
But how do you balance between the WTA output amplitude accuracy (bits) and WTA output rate (rate multiplier)?
For example, If you ever have 2M taps available, would you use it for doubling the sinc time length and therefore the amplitude accuracy (1 additional bit), or would you use it for doubling output frequency (32x filter)?
What is the criteria or relation between those two: amplitude bits vs output rate?
I think both amplitude and rate bring more information, but I am not sure which is more useful to the final signal.

Sep 11, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #8,175 of 18,518
Does the Power Pro 2 come with the correct tip for the M Scaler? What is the correct size tip?
The Pilot Pro 2 comes with a dc cable with a 2.5mm tip at one end (to connect to the power out socket on the PP2) and 2.1mm tip at the other. So you will would need a 2.1mm-to-2.5mm adapter to connect the PP2 to the M Scaler. Fortunately, the PP2 comes with a selection of adapters, including a 2.1mm-to-2.5mm adapter (Adapter C).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back