Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 7, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #8,146 of 18,493
yeah ok, that description clinches it
you really do not think that after 6 to 7 years that CHord will not announce a new flagship DAC in 2020/2021???

keep in mind Dave was announced in 2015.

you could not be more wrong bud.

Dave 2 is ABSOLUTELY coming within 24 months max.

https://www.bluebirdmusic.com/news/dave-dac-announced.html

I'd say that if Dave is still selling reasonably well Chord may stretch to 2021 to milk it a little more and let robbie tinker around on his other schitt and hit the goal stated below.

Guaranteed in Alpha testing as we speak... and at least 500k taps... i'd say he may shoot for 1M just for the hell of it so that you get 2M with MSC and D2.

95% probability in 2021.

however Chord may rename ... call it the BOB... therefore Rob's statement about Dave 2 is correct. If I was Chord I'd rename my Flagship every generation.

what a sweet era to come back to hifi after 8 years absence.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #8,147 of 18,493
you really do not think that after 6 to 7 years that CHord will not announce a new flagship DAC in 2020/2021???

keep in mind Dave was announced in 2015.

you could not be more wrong bud.

Dave 2 is ABSOLUTELY coming within 24 months max.

https://www.bluebirdmusic.com/news/dave-dac-announced.html

I'd say that if Dave is still selling reasonably well Chord may stretch to 2021 to milk it a little more and let robbie tinker around on his other schitt and hit the goal stated below.

Guaranteed in Alpha testing as we speak... and at least 500k taps... i'd say he may shoot for 1M just for the hell of it so that you get 2M with MSC and D2.

95% probability in 2021.

however Chord may rename ... call it the BOB... therefore Rob's statement about Dave 2 is correct. If I was Chord I'd rename my Flagship every generation.

what a sweet era to come back to hifi after 8 years absence.

Out of interest, which of the Chord Digital line up do you you own?

Dave is so far ahead of the game that I doubt that a replacement is a high priority. A range of long awaited digital amps would remove the need for Dave to have more power and the Dave transparency is already beyond reproach (I seem to recollect that an integrated stereo digital amp was mentioned with headphone output). Bear in mind also that the digital amps would remove the need for TT2 or Dave because they can be fed direct by the Mscaler with volume control signals sent by the Mscaler. Blu2 seems to still selling well judging by the number of new Blu2 owners that buy my cables. However an update to the Blu2 Mscaler and omitting the CD might please some but see the recent post in the Dave thread quoted below where the CD player in Blu2 has a role for high quality music (and which I agree about as often I prefer to play a CD on my Blu2 rather than my HMS).

@iDesign "And if you listen with the Blu Mk II, you will be even further impressed because it removes all of the issues with computer-based USB audio. Two nights ago I did A/B comparisons between a CD and the same album in TIDAL and the difference isn't even close. In fact, the difference is so significant that I have completely written off and given up on USB audio for now. There is no amount of gadgets like the ZENith, NUC, Audiolinux, Stylus, JitterBug, clocks, OCXO, TCXO, SoTM, Paul Hynes, etc. that will ever fix all the issues with USB audio. The DAVE + Blu Mk II is the ultimate."

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #8,148 of 18,493
Out of interest, which of the Chord Digital line up do you you own?

Dave is so far ahead of the game that I doubt that a replacement is a high priority. A range of long awaited digital amps would remove the need for Dave to have more power and the Dave transparency is already beyond reproach (I seem to recollect that an integrated stereo digital amp was mentioned with headphone output). Bear in mind also that the digital amps would remove the need for TT2 or Dave because they can be fed direct by the Mscaler with volume control signals sent by the Mscaler. For me it is Blu2 that is looking a bit long in the tooth even though it is still selling well judging by the number of new Blu2 owners that buy my cables,
i love the guys that say:

"how could a PC ever need more than 512MB RAM"

you have zero clue what the future brings bud and the leap in SQ. You have no idea what 1M taps +++ can bring.

I also believe we are going to enter a new era of DSP in next few years that will transform audio yet again... just scratching the surface... imagine if you can seperate all instruments in 3 space and play with user set locations... depth of mids... bass etc.... crazy schitt coming.

I have MSC TT2... just got Susvara... after a burn in will listen... Dave cant do Susvera and I dont really want to get a speaker amp... lets see how this fly's want minimalist stack.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #8,149 of 18,493
from personally shipping millions of HW/SW products and looking at their current product lifecycle.

12 to 24 months... period.

would be surprised if not announced in 2020.
Can we play a game of guess who, do you have a moustache?

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #8,150 of 18,493
Can we play a game of guess who, do you have a moustache?

A beard, wizard hat, and one of these, that's probably the reason for 8 years of absence:
81IsUe%2BfkfL._SL1312_.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #8,151 of 18,493
A beard, wizard hat, and one of these, that's probably the reason for 8 years of absence:
81IsUe%2BfkfL._SL1312_.jpg
I’m too impatient, I’m just going to start guessing.
Are you Bill Gates? (I think I’ve seem him with a moustache before)

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #8,152 of 18,493
bull****

we will see Dave 2 in 2020 latest 2021.

of course watt's is not going to say it's coming imagine all the peeps that will wait for the 2.

12 to max 24 months away.

prob 500k taps.
amp better than TT2.

Why would it make any sense to create a Dave2 with 500k taps when it’s already obsolete by th MScaler? That wouldn’t really fit in a product line. If anything, Dave2 will be 1 tap with better dac filter. Then, an MScaler or MScaler2 in front and pick from the line of digital amps for power. That will be TOTL. The all in one approach of Dave is probably realized in TT2 for the budget-phile, while the Dave2 suite will be the pinnacle. Chord can’t really afford to have too many products.

Sep 7, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #8,154 of 18,493
i love the guys that say:

"how could a PC ever need more than 512MB RAM"

you have zero clue what the future brings bud and the leap in SQ. You have no idea what 1M taps +++ can bring.

I also believe we are going to enter a new era of DSP in next few years that will transform audio yet again... just scratching the surface... imagine if you can seperate all instruments in 3 space and play with user set locations... depth of mids... bass etc.... crazy schitt coming.

I have MSC TT2... just got Susvara... after a burn in will listen... Dave cant do Susvera and I dont really want to get a speaker amp... lets see how this fly's want minimalist stack.

Imagine if in 10 years time we found out that Dave, Bartok, mojo, ifi whatever etc all sounded exactly the same at stock, but their designers were just playing about with equaliser settings to make them sound different.

The fall out would be hilarious.

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #8,155 of 18,493
Just got my own TT2 + MSC + Susvara

1st This combo drives the Susvara no prob. High Gain on TT2 I run Susvera between -5 and +4 MAX. TT2 goes to +22.

Really not sure what kind of performance bump you would get with a speaker amp. I bet it is minimal.

2nd Susvara quite a bit better than LCD 24. No question. More everything.

Also this is an unbroken in Susvara... supposed to get much better at 200hrs+... and still kicks LCD 24 ass.

However forget Susvara and DAP... TT2 + Mscaler prob one of the best Susvara systems.

IMG_2076.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #8,156 of 18,493

1st This combo drives the Susvara no prob. High Gain on TT2 I run Susvera between -5 and +4 MAX. TT2 goes to +22.

Really not sure what kind of performance bump you would get with a speaker amp. I bet it is minimal.

Also this is an unbroken in Susvara... supposed to get much better at 200hrs+... and still kicks LCD 24 ass.

However forget Susvara and DAP... TT2 + Mscaler prob one of the best Susvara systems.

+22 in high gain, what music did you try ?

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #8,158 of 18,493
Hello Rob. I've reached a bit of a dead end with regards to how the mscaler works. I'm trying to understand the following points. Thanks again MK. @Rob Watts

Following up my basic understanding. If 16/24 bit music is the norm why then has the hms been designed to work with or allocate space for 32 bits for each sample it works with? Surely you are left with just empty "spaces" then.

Finally how does this relate to recreating the analogue waveform to 16.2 bit accuracy and a doubling of taps resulting in a further one bit level of accuracy each time? I assume these are two different things i.e. with relation to my first query above. (If anyone else can help too that would be great).

(With regards to TT1/mscaler i did not realise the benefit here of 0.5M taps so i stand corrected).

I guess I ought to explain it a little better.

The accuracy of reconstruction depends upon the input signal; so if we put a regular sine wave into an M scaler, then it will reconstruct the output to many times better than 24 bits; the problem starts when your input signal changes from a steady state signal (like a sine wave) to a transient, and then the reconstruction accuracy fails. And accuracy of transient reconstruction is vital as it affects the way the brain processes sound to build up the auditory illusion. Now the problem we have is that different transients will have different errors with different filters; but we can say with certainty that a sinc filter will perfectly reconstruct a bandwidth limited signal; and we can also say the M scaler is the same as sinc to 16.7 bits; that means we will get better than 16.7 bit reconstruction under all circumstances - indeed with a 1 kHz sine wave we would be looking at 32 bit accuracy or so, way better than the analogue portions of the DAC of course.

Quite sure we will see DAVE 2 in 2020... with much better amp stage to rival TT2 and form factor that enables stacking with MSCALER as we will not see an MSCALER upgrade for 4ish years.

This combo Mscaler + Dave 2 will probably offer the best SQ on earth for several years.

News to me! Dave 2 isn't on my design horizon at all - too much else to do... And Dave took 2 and a half years to design.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #8,159 of 18,493
Thankyou Rob for clarifying the mechanism by which the mscaler produces beautiful sounding music. Cheers MK.:slight_smile:

Sep 9, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #8,160 of 18,493

Just curious, have you compared the LCD4z/LCD4 or HE1000SE to the Susvara? I have the HE1000SE but it has a bit of a treble peak that I find troublesome. I have been considering the LCD24 because I miss the bass of my LCD-X, but wanted the resolution, high-end extension, and overall transparency that the LCD-X lacked. I haven't tried the LCD24 yet but the writeups have been good so far and I really like the LCD-4. I was considering either the LCD-4Z or LCD-24 because I figured the Susvara would be too similar to the HE1000SE....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back