Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 16, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #7,847 of 18,531
I have an M Scaler and TT2 shipping next week and while I've read about to 300 of 524 pages of this thread, I still don't get a good sense of what people have settled on for decent cables.
Are Drew's Silver Dragons for the Dual BNC connection well received? The price is right but, if there is something else around the same $ range, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about them. For the source I have to use the USB input as it will be coming from a Zenith MK3. I WireWorld Platinum seems to be well regarded but I know that there exists a certain synergy between components that, while tangible for the end user, doesn't show up on a stat sheet. Any anecdotes with regard to this pairing?

Thanks

Personally I would recommend wave cables stream, not as expensive as the storm version but they are bloody good, or if thats still a little too pricey, Nick makes a stone range also. The stone range is the cheapest, but all ranges of his cables are getting good reviews.

Alot of folk here use one type or another.

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #7,848 of 18,531
I have an M Scaler and TT2 shipping next week and while I've read about to 300 of 524 pages of this thread, I still don't get a good sense of what people have settled on for decent cables.
Are Drew's Silver Dragons for the Dual BNC connection well received? The price is right but, if there is something else around the same $ range, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about them. For the source I have to use the USB input as it will be coming from a Zenith MK3. I WireWorld Platinum seems to be well regarded but I know that there exists a certain synergy between components that, while tangible for the end user, doesn't show up on a stat sheet. Any anecdotes with regard to this pairing?

Thanks

These are somewhat cheaper: $310/pair vs $500 for Dragon. I have them and like them. I find DH Labs analog and digital interconnects excellent value.

https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/d-750/

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #7,849 of 18,531
Would absolutely love to get my hands on some Wave’s! However, after buying the Meze Empyreans, Mscaler, TT2 and the Innuos Zenith MK3 all in the past 3 weeks i’m officially tapped out. Ideally, I could find the BNC’s and USB for under 1k since I’m stacking and only need .05 lengths.
I didn’t know there was a Stone version of the Wave, i’ll Check it out along with the DH’s.

Thanks all, really appreciate the input

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #7,850 of 18,531
Just purchased the Wave Stone’s. Can’t find a single review of them but if I can get 75% of the performance of either their big brothers at 1/2 price...., and free shipping across the pond... ? I’m in. Thanks for the suggestion Amber.

Now for the USB, is the WW a solid choice?

Aug 16, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #7,852 of 18,531
Though i have not used storm cables but imho a furutech alpha occ cable like fx alpha ag cable can easily outperform even many much more expensive digital Coaxial cable. I am currently using fx aplha ag myself. If someone does not get hold of furutech, oyaide db510 is also a very good option. In cables the quality of copper and shielding matters most.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #7,854 of 18,531
Sorry to go back to this, but can anyone shed light on why I only get sound on maximum Output Sample Rate (OP SR 'white') and not when cycling through the others (red, green and blue) given I've connected the bnc cables correctly?

Judging from your photo you are putting a lot of weight on both the connectors of your TT2/HMS and the cables .
Those cables are very heavy and without some kind of support they may damage your TT2/HMS.
In my configuration Qutest/HMS/ Storm I am supporting the cables by simply putting a paperback book of suitable thickness at each end, 5-6 inches from the connectors.
That solution carries the weight without my risking damaging any connectors or cables.
The BNC connectors on both TT2 and HMS are a lot sturdier than the rca ports on a Hugo or H2.
But I would still not recommend having those "pythons" hanging completely unsupported the way you seem to have them. PS. For those within the EU or in Sweden, possibly interested in buying a pair of discounted demo Stream cables, PM me for more info.

Cheers CC

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #7,855 of 18,531
Though i have not used storm cables but imho a furutech alpha occ cable like fx alpha ag cable can easily outperform even many much more expensive digital Coaxial cable. I am currently using fx aplha ag myself. If someone does not get hold of furutech, oyaide db510 is also a very good option. In cables the quality of copper and shielding matters most.

If you do a google search of Furutech FX a company based in Poland selling Furutech FX - Alpha Ag + CF BNC R at a very resonable price.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #7,857 of 18,531
Would absolutely love to get my hands on some Wave’s! However, after buying the Meze Empyreans, Mscaler, TT2 and the Innuos Zenith MK3 all in the past 3 weeks i’m officially tapped out. Ideally, I could find the BNC’s and USB for under 1k since I’m stacking and only need .05 lengths.
I didn’t know there was a Stone version of the Wave, i’ll Check it out along with the DH’s.

Thanks all, really appreciate the input

Supra USB is a very affordable and good USB audio cable.

I also second the recommendation of the Wave BNC cables. I have the storms and love them.

Aug 17, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #7,858 of 18,531
Question for Rob,

Have you ever thought about also implementing the mscaler as a software computer based solution in non real time?
Simple to duplicate it and you could use any number of taps, 256 million even billions. It would be very valuable as a testing tool alone.
You could save as flacs and not have to lug the mscaler around the world. A mscaled Mojo would become possible.
I am surprised this hasn't been done already, only a matter of time I think, Chord might as well do it first and sell it too.
Am I missing something?

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #7,859 of 18,531
For those on a budget amphenol RF BNC are excellent with gold plated connectors and very thin with light weight.

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #7,860 of 18,531
I received the OPTO•DX a week ago, and after several evaluations and comparisons I thought it would have been nice to report back in this thread, i.e. where I learnt of its existence in the first place :)

For those who don't know what it is, please refer to the very thorough review by @ray-dude.

I am using the OPTO•DX in between my M Scaler and the DAVE, feeding both the TX and RX boxes via Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 batteries. Only thing I replaced in the original OPTO•DX kit is the BNC cable to the DAVE, where I keep using my Audioquest Diamond.

opto.jpg

The best way I can describe the effect of the OPTO•DX on my system is that it resembles - while on a smaller scale - what I heard when I added the HMS to the DAVE.

The benefits are most audible (to me) in the upper midrange / lower treble area, where the smoothness and liquidity are further enhanced in a noticeable way. Being very sensitive to treble brightness, this improvement alone would have been worth the investment for me.

Vocals and strings naturalness is enhanced, and the general sense of effortless musical flow that the HMS provides is taken a step further, together with an even lower listening fatigue in long sessions. All this is achieved with no trade-offs on detail retrieval and transparency, which is quite a thing.

In other words, the OPTO•DX seems to enable the HMS to do its magic even more effectively.

In order to explore the sensitivity of my setup, I did - as anticipated above - a few tests, which I briefly list hereafter:

- using the provided OPTO•DX BNC cable to DAVE vs. my Audioquest Diamond: possibly slightly worse, not sure it was placebo;
- using the the OPTO•DX while the 2x Pilot Pro batteries were charging (i.e. not isolated from AC): worse, subtle yet audible especially with vocals;
- removing my ISO REGEN, hence going direct USB to M Scaler: worse, audible especially as bass articulation and image focus loss.

as a final test, I went back to DAVE alone, thus disconnecting the M Scaler and the OPTO•DX at once. This was quite shocking, as I was not expecting the extent of my own reaction to this.
As much as I enjoyed my solo DAVE before adding the HMS, and then the OPTO•DX, it would be a significant step back now. Actually I have realized, over time, that I am way more sensitive of changes from better to worse in my audio system than the other way around, and this was a glowing confirmation of that.

In summary, if you are committed to M Scaled Chord DACs and are availablle to live with a bunch of additional cables / boxes in your system, I would strongly recommend to try the OPTO•DX!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back