Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 13, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #7,141 of 18,478
I am using xduoo x10t Version 1 optical out with HMS and Hugo 2 combo and very pleased with results.
I am using xduoo x10t Version 1 optical out with HMS and Hugo 2 combo and very pleased with results.

Thanks, that sounds promising for me too.
Would you know of any important differences between the two models?
Maybe the one you are using is all I need too?
What optical cable are you using?So far I have only tried the optical that came with one of my Chord products, but I can't really remember if the one I am using with my cd player came with HMS or Hugo or Qutest.
But results are good with well recorded cds, and I am listening to cds on an almost daily basis something you would not hear me say before HMS.
My latest visit to a local thrift shop a few days ago scored 9 cds and 1 LP roughly for the price of one hi res download.
Cheers CC

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #7,142 of 18,478
It's because of his permullet, which has mysterious powers of, "lol What m8, I have to go buy this dodgy looking dude's cd to see how good his hair can play the sax".

All 75 million of his cd's were sold because of that permullet. Either that or it was his enhanced forehead, which was used by the CIA in the MK ultra experiments.

220px-KennyGHWOFMay2013.jpg
this is hysterical. It's Pat Metheny describing what he heard after a Kenny G show

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #7,143 of 18,478
It's because of his permullet, which has mysterious powers of, "lol What m8, I have to go buy this dodgy looking dude's cd to see how good his hair can play the sax".

All 75 million of his cd's were sold because of that permullet. Either that or it was his enhanced forehead, which was used by the CIA in the MK ultra experiments.

220px-KennyGHWOFMay2013.jpg
http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm read this -- LOL

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #7,144 of 18,478
Thanks, that sounds promising for me too.
Would you know of any important differences between the two models?
Maybe the one you are using is all I need too?
What optical cable are you using?So far I have only tried the optical that came with one of my Chord products, but I can't really remember if the one I am using with my cd player came with HMS or Hugo or Qutest.
But results are good with well recorded cds, and I am listening to cds on an almost daily basis something you would not hear me say before HMS.
My latest visit to a local thrift shop a few days ago scored 9 cds and 1 LP roughly for the price of one hi res download.
Cheers CC
Version 1 is discontinued. You can get used if someone is selling. I got lucky and got the version 1 for around $120. original user found x10t too warm to his taste. Obviously it sounds warm due to lack of any noise through optical out ( or may be due to dedicated chip for spdif out). version 2 supports higher resolution files imo. I have not tested the newer version. But I think there should not be any difference in output quality. I am using cheap mini toslink to toslink 5ft cable bought from Amazon. Earlier I used short cable supplied with Hugo 2 which to me very very slightly better ( may be it was brain ) but that much short cable hindered the handling of x10t.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #7,147 of 18,478
Jun 13, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #7,151 of 18,478
Thats enough to watch one entire series of ?????

A crime against saxophones happens every minute ... somewhere.
We need someone, obviously versed in the ways of the saxaphone, possibly with a wardrobe sized forehead, to make a dent, to just show them, there’s someone on our side.

Jun 13, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #7,152 of 18,478
A crime against saxophones happens every minute ... somewhere.
We need someone, obviously versed in the ways of the saxaphone, possibly with a wardrobe sized forehead, to make a dent, to just show them, there’s someone on our side.
Why not read Spider Robinson/R.A.Heinlein's Variable Star. The protagonist plays the baratone sax.

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #7,153 of 18,478
I enjoy some Kenny G late at night for switching off but for serious jazz then the great masters of the 50's and 60's rule for sure. If Kenny G is no good who next? Barry Manilow, boy bands, Jpop stars the list is endless. Musical taste is purely subjective everyone should respect everyone. (I also played classical violin for 10 years some of which in the junior CBSO). If the audiophile community is not careful it will continue to be viewed by a proportion of the population as an elitist group of guys who believe that they are an authority on musical tastes for the very same reason why i was dissed for liking Kenny G alongside the other 75 million losers who listen to him on occasion too. Sometimes people just want to switch off and not be concerned with the technicalities of pure improvisation depending on mood so who am i to judge?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #7,154 of 18,478
I enjoy some Kenny G late at night for switching off but for serious jazz then the great masters of the 50's and 60's rule for sure. If Kenny G is no good who next? Barry Manilow, boy bands, Jpop stars the list is endless. Musical taste is purely subjective everyone should respect everyone. (I also played classical violin for 10 years some of which in the junior CBSO). If the audiophile community is not careful it will continue to be viewed by a proportion of the population as an elitist group of guys who believe that they are an authority on musical tastes for the very same reason why i was dissed for liking Kenny G alongside the other 75 million losers who listen to him on occasion too. Sometimes people just want to switch off and not be concerned with the technicalities of pure improvisation depending on mood so who am i to judge?
Calm down.
Kenny G was criticised for his deficiencies playing instruments and music - it is not elitist to criticise skills or competences.
We all know that in the real world skills and competences, rarely influence taste, popularity, money made.

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #7,155 of 18,478
It's a bit like saying tube amps are flawed by their very nature because of the distortion they introduce. Some people actually like a bit of induced distortion and that is why tube amps sell so well. A good analogy i think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back