1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475
477 478 479 480 481 482 483
Next

Last
  1. SalvorHardin
    That should go on the 'funny comments' thread.

SoundeScapes and Tao8 like this.
  2. musickid
    As i sit here enjoying some late night Sonny Rollins Ballads album i wonder why Kenny G is one of the best selling artists of all time.

Turdski, bikutoru and CClose like this.
  3. jlbrach
    there is no justice is there?....rollins, coltrane etc

Turdski and CClose like this.
  4. Amberlamps
    It's because of his permullet, which has mysterious powers of, "lol wtf m8, I have to go buy this dodgy looking dude's cd to see how good his hair can play the sax".

All 75 million of his cd's were sold because of that permullet. Either that or it was his enhanced forehead, which was used by the CIA in the MK ultra experiments.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  5. SalvorHardin
    I suspect that Kenny G appeals to those who like MOR format, being middle aged women suffering from a lack of romance. Whereas all those legendary players appeal to a more studied group of listeners. There's music, and then there's ear candy.
    I was never a great sax person to be honest. To me, they tend to play when the guitar, organ, piano, fretless bass, drums, trumpet; as a matter of fact, any other instrument should be playing. An old clarinet player use to say "a badly played clarinet sounds like a good sax." Don't know if I'd go that far, but...

musickid and HumanMedia like this.
  6. Tao8
    Is it wrong... a little bit of rough innuendo... though if you cared about me I’m sure you’d be gentle.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  7. ToTo Man
    I'm excited to have a Hugo M Scaler and Hugo TT 2 on demo at the moment and just want to check I've set them up the correct way for maximum performance?

I have the HTT2 connected to the HMS by dualBNC and the HMS connected to my Mac Mini by USB. When I first connected HMS scaler to my Mac, the sample rate in Audio Midi Setup defaulted to 705kHz.

I changed this to the sample rate of the music I was listening to (i.e. 44.1kHz for redbook CD played in iTunes, 48kHz for DVD rips played in VLC, etc), because I am assuming the goal is to output native rate audio to the HMS and have the upscaling to 705kHz performed by the hardware inside the HMS and not the MacOS?

Likewise, when I come to using a music player with automatic sample rate switching (e.g. Audirvana+), I'm assume I should choose the option to output at the native sample rate and disable all of the player's oversampling/upsampling filters, just like I do with my Yggdrasil DAC?

I had my first listen to the HMS/HTT2 stack last night, and flicking between 44.1kHz and 705kHz on the remote I'm pretty sure I could hear the improvement straight away, even on my rather modest Sennheiser HD600 headphones. The 705kHz settings seems to lift the music further above the noise floor and makes everything just that little bit more resolving, from bass lines all the way up to vocal reverbs and cymbal decays. I look forward to trying my higher end headphones with it!

PS - I notice there is no power button on the HMS remote. Does Chord recommend leaving the HMS powered on all of the time for maximum performance like some other DACs (e.g. my Yggdrasil), or does the architecture in HMS not require a long warm up time?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. Amberlamps
    Yes, don't let your mac mess with the native sample rate of whatever track it is that you're playing. Let the mscaler do the upsampling.

Chord ( Rob ) recommend's leaving the mscaler turned on, you can dim the lights by pushing down both the dx up and down buttons at the same time, after a short while of no incoming data to the mscaler, it will turn off all but one light, one light will remain on always.

ToTo Man likes this.
  9. ZappaMan
    Yes you must turn off all up sampling prior to mscaler. Useful to play normal 44khz and then check fourth mscaler light is red to confirm it’s received at 44khz

Amberlamps and ToTo Man like this.
  10. LWR999
    I've simplified my desktop a bit - which has left me in a bit of a transient place with computers.

I used to have my TT2/MScaler plugged into a USB port on my MacPro 2013 (TrashCan). The MacPro has gone and I'm temporarily using a MacBook Pro 2018 connected via a single Thunderbolt 3 cable to an LG 5K2K monitor.

To keep things simple, I'm plugging the MScalar into the USB ports of the LG Monitor. For good measure I'm using a nice AudioQuest USB cable and a Jitterbug.

So the signal path is...

MacBook Pro -> Thunderbolt 3 -> LG Monitor -> Jitterbug -> USB Cable -> MScaler

It all sounds fine, but I've a nagging doubt I'm doing something dumb,

Any words of wisdom?

11. ZappaMan
    Less is more!

12. Amberlamps
  13. Triode User
    Hmmn, there goes another minute of my life that I will never get back!

SalvorHardin likes this.
  14. kennyb123
    The Mac won't output the native sample rate without some help. An application like Audirvana + will automatically change sample rate output by macOS to align with the sample rate of the file itself. Absent that, the Mac will use sample rate conversion to match the setting in Audio Midi Setup.

VLC was mentioned as the app being used for playback. I don't believe this will auto-change output sample rate.

Amberlamps likes this.
  15. Amberlamps
    Admit it, you liked the video :)

Shake that booty!

Deftone likes this.
First

Back
466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475
477 478 479 480 481 482 483
Next

Last