Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 14, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #7,171 of 18,443
It was just a you tube video i can't see any reason why it should have been flagged as risky? Unless your anti virus has an anti frizzy hair alarm?:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #7,172 of 18,443
How does one like their own posts?

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #7,173 of 18,443
Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #7,174 of 18,443
Is your chain mac mini---mscaler---dave?

Are you using optical out from the mac mini? I ask because i use optical from my late 2013 imac to mscaler but rarely come across folk using this configuration. If yes what are your impressions of the mac mini out?

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #7,175 of 18,443
Santana's new album is excellent.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #7,177 of 18,443
Like - not lick

Woah, like that is even possible?

Is your chain mac mini---mscaler---dave?

Are you using optical out from the mac mini? I ask because i use optical from my late 2013 imac to mscaler but rarely come across folk using this configuration. If yes what are your impressions of the mac mini out?

I tried optical out of the mac mini, but settled on usb.
The mini is configured for audio duty only, but would like try a music server from Aurender or Innuos.
But the million dollar question is- how much better sounding are they over computers/laptops?

Im currently comparing Mscaler and Blu2 to Dave, running off Mac mini.
I have lots of cd's, and still enjoy the format.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #7,178 of 18,443

The mini is configured for audio duty only, but would like try a music server from Aurender or Innuos.
But the million dollar question is- how much better sounding are they over computers/laptops?

I just got the Innuos Mini MK3 running optical out to mscaler and it was a pretty big difference from my MacBook pro using USB. The lower noise floor helps bring out the real music.

Mind you, the rest of my “system” is pretty optimized with high end power cables, dedicated AC lines, batteries, high end conditioner, etc.

Some people might not hear a big difference because their system might be polluted with noise from other gear or AC lines that is masking any difference equipment changes make.

I personally think one should start with power (AC/DC), then everything else, but that is jut my opinion and what I have found works for me.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #7,179 of 18,443
Version 1 is discontinued. You can get used if someone is selling. I got lucky and got the version 1 for around $120. original user found x10t too warm to his taste. Obviously it sounds warm due to lack of any noise through optical out ( or may be due to dedicated chip for spdif out). version 2 supports higher resolution files imo. I have not tested the newer version. But I think there should not be any difference in output quality. I am using cheap mini toslink to toslink 5ft cable bought from Amazon. Earlier I used short cable supplied with Hugo 2 which to me very very slightly better ( may be it was brain ) but that much short cable hindered the handling of x10t.
I see a HD version advertised at twice the price, but can't find any mention of the spec.
https://www.amazon.fr/Generic-Bluetooth-Lossless-Professional-Turntable/dp/B07QZTWV4H

Jun 14, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #7,180 of 18,443

You should consider optimizing your Mac mini by installing Stylus then run your tests and comparisons. The Mac mini will likely come up short in comparison to some of the extreme high-end endpoint solutions but the question will be by how much. Given the speed of innovation, I view USB-based endpoints, servers, computers etc. as disposable technology-- the trick is in simple solutions that deliver good results.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #7,181 of 18,443
You should consider optimizing your Mac mini by installing Stylus then run your tests and comparisons.

Hey thanks for the suggestion iDesign, but how is this done?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #7,182 of 18,443
I just got the Innuos Mini MK3 running optical out to mscaler and it was a pretty big difference from my MacBook pro using USB. The lower noise floor helps bring out the real music.

Thanks for the reply onlychild!

Thanks for the PM IDesign!

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #7,183 of 18,443

Mind you, the rest of my “system” is pretty optimized with high end power cables, dedicated AC lines, batteries, high end conditioner, etc.

Some people might not hear a big difference because their system might be polluted with noise from other gear or AC lines that is masking any difference equipment changes make.

I personally think one should start with power (AC/DC), then everything else, but that is jut my opinion and what I have found works for me.

Innuos is great. ZENith was an eye opener for me. I was skeptical before I tried it, did not think a dedicated server would make a noticeable difference vs PC/laptop output but I was wrong. Night and day may be an exaggeration but it was a significant improvement. Really took my HMS/Dave combo a big step further.

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #7,184 of 18,443
You should consider optimizing your Mac mini by installing Stylus then run your tests and comparisons. The Mac mini will likely come up short in comparison to some of the extreme high-end endpoint solutions but the question will be by how much. Given the speed of innovation, I view USB-based endpoints, servers, computers etc. as disposable technology-- the trick is in simple solutions that deliver good results.

Options and more options.The reason I am interested in trying the XDuuo via optical is because it seems to a simple solution with good results!?
Innous MK2 or 3 and other streaming solutions mentioned, may offer lots of other benefits in a network system but can they REALLY improve on SQ over something as simple as the XDuuo seems to be?
And if they can't I have no need of either Innous or other costly solutions.
Where I stand with my HMS/Qutest I can hear a slightly lower noise floor via optical and a cd player over USB and my mbp.
But I also hear differences between my two cd players which leads me to suspect again that I need even purer cleaner transport than either of my cd players.
What is Stylus?
Is it yet another "computer player" one has to pay big money for like ROON or what is it?
Apart from all the costs involved one thing that worries me with all these often expensive player solutions is that they may add their own spice to the sauce.
Why else do they all sound different?

But I don't want ANY OTHER flavours than those the master file contains as pure and clean and noisefree as possible.
One player obviously very popular with some,HQ Player, costs roughly the same ,around 3k usd I think, as an M Scaler and instead of upscaling in PCM it does so in DSD and claims to be the VERY best by its developer just as HMS is claimed to be the best by its developer.
I can also hear differences between Pure Music and Audirvana via usb and my mbp.
And all my different rca cables make their own impact as well.

And in spite of the claims made regarding HMS's and Qutest's "perfect" galvanic isolation there is less noise via optical than via usb and mbp in my systems both via headphones and speakers.
I want perfection yes, and I want it to come as simple and cheap as possible.
XDuuo/optical seems very tempting after rkt1's input.
But like the Power Add Pilot PRO 2 I would want for my HMS, this Chinese made toy is not yet available in Sweden.
The bad weather conditions prevailing in Sweden this summer make me disconnect not only my HMS but EVERYTHING every night.

I suppose I'll have to wait until I get back to Asia again to try the XDuuo.
Cheers CC

Jun 15, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #7,185 of 18,443
Deleted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back