1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480
482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491
Next

Last
  1. miketlse
  2. musickid
    With isolated optical out of my imac into hms and my imac containing no spinning parts (512gb ssd) and very low cpu useage when surfing whilst using roon i can't see any immediate advantage in changing the status quo. I have thought carefully about this.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  3. iDesign
    There is much advantage to using a better source than an iMac which most commonly used a cheap Cirrus Logic audio codec/controller for S/PDIF. In addition, upstream RF induced noise from the CPU, RAM, SSD, power supply, switching regulators, clocks etc. etc. are anything but ideal. There has been much written about this on Head-Fi and other forums. Ultimately it becomes a question of how far you're willing to go to chase the sunrise vs. staying content with your iMac.

4. musickid
    Surely it is impossible for RF noise to enter an optical connection which transmits data by light pulses? or....?

Secondly the cirrus logic spdif chip is relatively good?....or?

SSD, CPU, etc are all present in servers and my imac has no spinning parts 512gb ssd or?

I would go the extra mile but can't see why. thanks mk. Persuade me otherwise. If my imac didn't do optical and only did usb i would totally agree.

5. iDesign
    The best advice I can give you is listen to better sources and draw your own conclusions.

SalvorHardin and Christer like this.
  6. musickid
    Is there a dap which can be used as a roon bridge and outputs optical i wonder?

7. Christer
    Thanks for the links. But I will not buy before having auditioned XDuuo or any other DAP options out there.
    I never buy audio equipment without intensive auditions first.

What I meant when saying that it is not available here, was that I have not found any shop that stocks it yet in Sweden.

I am grateful for tips and advice posted. But my own ears /brain and conclusions are what rules all my HIFI purchases.
    Besides the Xduuo,made China, is bound to be a lot cheaper in Asia than Europe anyway.

I have another four months here in Sweden and Europe before I leave for Asia again and can easily live with my cd players and HMS via optical and my mbp via usb and pure analogue via vinyl.
    I do know what the stylus on my Supex can dig out from the grooves of my best LPs. But what is Stylus /versus Roon?

Cheers CC

8. SalvorHardin
    I don't have an answer. But a question that could be asked, might be: "Could the result of RF invading a source, be passed through the optical connection, regardless?" Your optical might not of itself be adding RF distortion. But, what of the components in the chain before the optical, such as your imac? Just a thought.

iDesign likes this.
  9. Christer
    Hello, Both Audirvana and PM are good but a bit different and I switch between them more according to the signature of different recordings than absolute preference, most of the time.
    And the same applies to my two cd players one makes thin and a bit wiry recordings easier on the ear while the other one thrives with "fatter" ones.

But all in all to me and via my systems and usb,unlike Musickid I haven't tried optical via my mac, Pure Music sounds a bit softer and warmer which tends to suit thinner more distant recordings and the opposite way with close mic'd over warm ones.
    If you can try both and see which you prefer over all.
    Regarding players I would like one where I can be sure that there can be absolutely no influence to the sound from any internal dac and the only safe option seems to be a player without internal dac.
    The FiiO's are all DAPs s far as I know.
    Cheers CC

SalvorHardin likes this.
  10. musickid
    If optical is galvanically isolated which it is then surely nothing unwanted can pass through it as that would be impossible. Unless someone knows better. With an optical source irrespective of its origin it is an absolute impossibility that any RF can get into the mscaler.

If a dap outputs optical or any digital signal the internal dac is disabled.

11. Triode User
    Your iMac is connected to the mains and so is your Mscaler. Is it possible that this is a route for RF noise generated by the iMac to get into the Mscaler and thence into your DAC analogue stages via the dual BNC cables or indeed straight into the DAC via it's power supply? To be clear, I am not saying it is and I am genuinely asking the question.

Deftone and SalvorHardin like this.
  12. musickid
    It becomes an endless pit from which there is no final solution then.

13. Amberlamps
    No fans ?

14. musickid
    I average 5% cpu useage when surfing/roon which is all i ever do these days. The imac is always cool and i've never heard any fans since i bought it nearly 5 years ago.

15. Triode User
    There are utilities that you can download to monitor and control the iMac fan.

First

Back
471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480
482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491
Next

Last