Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #4,982 of 18,448
Of course it does a very decisive pass thru with hugo2. anything indicating otherwise is foolish.

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #4,983 of 18,448
I am a bit baffled by your response. You could have just said "I have my mscaler + hugo2 doing pass through, so chances are user error.." or even "Try X or Y..". Instead of a 333 page forum you should have been on page one and left the comment "my setup works perfectly, end of discussion". Just a bit of a non-sensical comment...anyway, I can change the resolution just fine on the OP but once I do pass through I get no sound. Thanks

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #4,984 of 18,448
For Amberlamps: i had an additional surge light fitted too. https://olsondirect.co.uk/8-way-13a-individually-switched-neon-fused-pdu.html all top grade parts neon fused.

(My fairy and mr RF guy post was just some lighthearted jokey stuff and not meant to be taken seriously from the other day while i'm here).

olson_dp13a-08sw_a.png

Nice, it looks the part. 8 sockets Daaamn, enough for all your gear and some disco lights.

Genuinely does look very good quality.

As for your fairy post, I’m surprised no one else liked it. Seriously.

As I use an iPad and when I scroll through the forums on my ipad, I hit the like button by accident, since I’m right handed.

But now you mention it.

What MK, RF Guy. Seriously ? where can I meet you for a fight, I have a new car, I can drive to you ?

:)

We all good :wink:

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #4,987 of 18,448
i apologise i thought you were saying passthru sounded no different with hugo2/mscaler/. but the truth is i'm still confused as to what it is you are in fact saying?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #4,989 of 18,448
very good.....how are you finding the hugo2/mscaler experience? some detail would be fantastic? thanks mk

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #4,990 of 18,448
I am a bit baffled by your response. You could have just said "I have my mscaler + hugo2 doing pass through, so chances are user error.." or even "Try X or Y..". Instead of a 333 page forum you should have been on page one and left the comment "my setup works perfectly, end of discussion". Just a bit of a non-sensical comment...anyway, I can change the resolution just fine on the OP but once I do pass through I get no sound. Thanks

this happened to me. change the input setting on the H2.

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #4,991 of 18,448
very good.....how are you finding the hugo2/mscaler experience? some detail would be fantastic? thanks mk
Excellent. I have gone through around 100k of equipment in the last few years and what I do is buy a headphone/component, try it out, identify the benefits, and then move on towards other gear due to curiosity. The experience I encounter with Chord Hugo2 and the Mscaler--not the mojo though--is that I don't want to move on to other gear because of the sonic attributes of the two. I was hoping I'd get the mscaler, enjoy it for a number of months, and sell it to try new gear, but from my experience I won't get this type of sound till a substitute chord device is created. Loving the mscaler, a little let down that I have to keep it!

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #4,992 of 18,448
Excellent. I have gone through around 100k of equipment in the last few years and what I do is buy a headphone/component, try it out, identify the benefits, and then move on towards other gear due to curiosity. The experience I encounter with Chord Hugo2 and the Mscaler--not the mojo though--is that I don't want to move on to other gear because of the sonic attributes of the two. I was hoping I'd get the mscaler, enjoy it for a number of months, and sell it to try new gear, but from my experience I won't get this type of sound till a substitute chord device is created. Loving the mscaler, a little let down that I have to keep it!

I much understand buying audio toys out of sheer curiosity. That's me too, big time.
And me too, with the HMS. Totally love its major big time improvements.

However, reconsider this statement: "I don't want to move on to other gear because of the sonic attributes of the two."
Other gear? Are you sure you don't want to get the DAVE?

Dave, who will again note that if you already have a DAVE digital to analog converter in your music system and if you are happy with the DAVE then adding the Hugo M Scaler is a true no-question big time addition

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #4,993 of 18,448
buying high end audio gear out of curiosity before i move on.......:older_man: what do these folk do to make a living with all these curiosity purchases:thinking::thinking:

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #4,994 of 18,448
Yep. I would only move on to another device if it were a chord substitute. I am of course open to other companies but have yet to find another DAC, and now a mscaling device, that produces the chord sound that is a worthy substitute. My dream would be a Hugo4 or Hugo5 that would contain an mscaler, although I read elsewhere that a device like that won't happen in the near future. Even though I have gone through ~100k of equipment, I only have around 10-12k of headphone gear at a time, but Chord has convinced me that I can scale even more and not have a decreasing marginal return that I would see from other products. My criteria for spending justification is that if I spend 1.5X - 2.5X I'd better see an immediately apparent sonic benefit, and not have to critically listen for the gain. Critically listening for differences takes the fun out of music listening, for me, and I have my personal reasons for doing so--I am not being cynical of others. Although not "critically" listening doesn't mean I do an A/B with equipment, but just means that I won't focus on a single aspect of a song.

In my household I have good dual income with a single kid, and I would never commit to losing 25k over a few years to try out different equipment but the loss is incidental once I tally up my purchases and sales. I wish I would have just put 25k into DAVE, mscaler, KSE1200, and some sensitive speakers firstly!

*the mojo has sonic benefits that I can't find on other devices but it was never exciting for me to stay with it for long, but listening to it and the isine20 was my first chord shock.

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #4,995 of 18,448
hugo tt2 or dave then? those are your options. i had the chord awakening when i heard hugo1 in early 2017 and on the same day i heard naim dac V1 and moon 230 HAD. i couldn't believe how a small metallic box just blew away two full size units in terms of clarity, detail and most oddly ease of power delivery to the same and higher volumes into 600 ohm beyerdynamic headphones. yes 600 ohms. let them forget for they will but i never will. i could happily spend the rest of my days with hugo1 but i chose not to and bought a hugo 2 and an mscaler to keep it company. funnily enough on that day i went out to put a deposit on the moon 230 HAD which had a great amp and a totally unacceptable dac.

2428115.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back