Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 9, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #4,951 of 18,495
I thought that also, but somebody not long ago posted they have 38 employee’s and I was What. I thought there was like 12.

So I don’t really know what the scoop is.
I hear you, but for all the products they make, not sure 38 is that big. Most of us would like to have our products quicker than a better manual. They're probably primarily devoted to meeting demand and R&D, which we have been and continue to be the beneficiaries of.

How the business works is beyond my ken. We don't walk in their shoes and don't know the first thing about their business, save the amazing products.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #4,952 of 18,495
I hear you, but for all the products they make, not sure 38 is that big. Most of us would like to have our products quicker than a better manual. They're probably primarily devoted to meeting demand and R&D, which we have been and continue to be the beneficiaries of.

I was under the impression most circuits are placed and soldered to boards by some sort of automation nowadays.

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #4,953 of 18,495
buy a very high quality switched mains strip and just flick the switch to turn the scaler off. i do that no unplugging needed. my strip was custom made at olson electronics for about 200. see signature. only the best high grade parts.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #4,954 of 18,495
I may be different. I find nothing wrong in the HMS manual. I grow up from HUGO, my advantage? What may be added are scenarios.

For the operational interface of HMS, only two buttons: output sampling frequency set to white and leave it there and the source set to auto. Done for audio guys. Neverrmind the video mode, I'm talking about audio here, at the moment. Of course one need to do the physical connections and operate the DAC that HMS is feeding to, but that are not the issues of the HMS.

Everything can be done on the physical HMS, that's great. I hate that now there are devices that may operate only through the remote, no physical buttons on the devices! The light remote that comes with makes the operation easier. Sorry, I hate heavy remotes that may feel better but functionally inadequate. Also the life time of the micro switches of the balls in HMS can be extendeded through the remote.

Anyway, the only button that I need to use is the video mode button on the remote when watching TV. Why the operation of the HMS is difficult?

Finally, HMS is basically a DDC reclocker. If you can use a reclocker, you can use HMS. If not, learn it, it's easier than learning to drive a car. Cheers.

Jan 9, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #4,955 of 18,495
specific input selection feels "safer" than auto source to me.

Jan 9, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #4,956 of 18,495

How the business works is beyond my ken. We don't walk in their shoes and don't know the first thing about their business, save the amazing products.

I’m positive that they are devoted to production, I’ve been told it a couple of times that they were flat out getting mscalers and tt2’s into boxes and shipped out.

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #4,957 of 18,495
I was under the impression most circuits are placed and soldered to boards by some sort of automation nowadays.

Yup, but I think he means putting the boards in cases and putting balls into the holes etc and boxing them up. assembly work.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #4,958 of 18,495
specific input selection feels "safer" than auto source to me.
Agree. It does feels safer. But no difference if only 1 input at a time.

In my case, which should be typical:
The optical audio output of a video player and the USB audio output of an endpoint are both connected to the HMS and the optical side is always feeding datra to HMS. Whenever the USB outputs to the HMS, it takes the priority. I did once switched to the USB input immediately but couldn't hear much difference. YMMV. I can't think of something that is simpler.

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #4,959 of 18,495
Usually when I take new gear to work I want to a coworker or two to try out the new piece of gear, but the hugo2 & HMS combo is so alluring that I find myself not interested in sharing. Many cliches on these threads but that isn't to say they are 100% correct. To throw out another cliche I am much less interested in analyzing the differences in sound with the supplement of the mscaler--I just want to enjoy! KSE1200 & Hugo2 & Mscaler = greatness. I do wonder what the TT2 addition would be, and wonder what headphone can be equal or greater to the kse1200 with this setup. Hoping that my kef reference 1s with m700 monos can convey what i am hearing once adding the MSCaler and HUGO2 into the mix.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #4,960 of 18,495
buy a very high quality switched mains strip and just flick the switch to turn the scaler off. i do that no unplugging needed. my strip was custom made at olson electronics for about 200. see signature. only the best high grade parts.

For £40 you get

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adap.../6-way-av-mains-conditioner-power-strip-p8835

Excellent piece of kit, but no switches or led’s apart from a test safety led that doesn’t get power unless you push the test button. No leds and switches means no interference that could come from them.

I know you have probably seen it before MK, but they are very very good and use quality components.

Got any pics of your strip ?

Cheers

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #4,961 of 18,495
HMS arrived on tuesday as expected at the shop, they hadn't it in stock and they received it the next day from the local swiss distributor. It couldn't be faster !

I've connected it to the system with the provided coax cable, the psu was connected to an emi/rfi filtered power strip (as the other non hifi psu are).

All is working fine without any dropout. Hadn't much time to enjoy it but I can say that the upgrade in sound quality is huge, as tested at the hifi shop on the Qutest. It's simple, I can't recognize my Qutest anymore with the HMS.

The first evening,like a dumb goat, I forgot to switch off the video filter, even like that the difference between "video filter" and passthrough was clear and big :L3000: (I'm still laughing about myself for that).

The HMS enhance the Qutest in passthrough mode versus my little USB streamer (Allo Usbridge), I've read here that "HMS is a RF killing machine", now I understand it.
May be the coax input on Qutest is better than USB, had just 2 weeks before a clear improvement using Allo Usbridge instead of the usb output of my dedicated Windows 10, fanless, ssd, computer powered by an HD Plex).

I will have soon more time to enjoy the M Scaler (without video filter ^^) during the next days, I'm very pleased with this addition to the Qutest after having a lot thought about doing it or not.

Rob Watts adviced me to go for the M Scaler with my Qutest and I don't regret it, this combo is amazing, it sounds thight and right with the extreme big depth holographic panorama it provides !

Cheers,
Nico

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #4,963 of 18,495
Most audiophile sites name many obscure musicians, albums, etc. I wonder how many people are like me in that I listen to grunge, electro, nu metal, etc. I laugh at myself sometimes when realizing the type of music I am playing through 10k worth of equipment i.e. just listened to an old three six mafia track..

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #4,964 of 18,495
HMS arrived on tuesday as expected at the shop, they hadn't it in stock and they received it the next day from the local swiss distributor. It couldn't be faster !

I've connected it to the system with the provided coax cable, the psu was connected to an emi/rfi filtered power strip (as the other non hifi psu are).

All is working fine without any dropout. Hadn't much time to enjoy it but I can say that the upgrade in sound quality is huge, as tested at the hifi shop on the Qutest. It's simple, I can't recognize my Qutest anymore with the HMS.

The first evening,like a dumb goat, I forgot to switch off the video filter, even like that the difference between 1M and passthrough was clear and big :L3000: (I'm still laughing about myself for that).

The HMS enhance the Qutest in passthrough mode versus my little USB streamer (Allo Usbridge), I've read here that "HMS is a RF killing machine", now I understand it.
May be the coax input on Qutest is better than USB, had just 2 weeks before a clear improvement using Allo Usbridge instead of the usb output of my dedicated Windows 10, fanless, ssd, computer powered by an HD Plex).

I will have soon more time to enjoy the M Scaler (without video filter on) during the next days, I'm very pleased with this addition to the Qutest after having a lot thought about doing it or not.

Rob Watts adviced me to go for the M Scaler with my Qutest and I don't regret it, this combo is amazing, it sounds thight and right with the extreme big depth holographic panorama it provides !

Cheers,
Nico

I'm glad you like the mScaler with your Qutest. I have the Qutest and I struggled with decision to get the TT 2 first and sell the Qutest. How I listen created the need for a remote and I needed to kill two with one stone.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #4,965 of 18,495
I'm glad you like the mScaler with your Qutest. I have the Qutest and I struggled with decision to get the TT 2 first and sell the Qutest. How I listen created the need for a remote and I needed to kill two with one stone.

That sounds like my situation even though I have a speaker setup. My initial plan was to get a M Scaler for the Qutest but
after a lot of thought I have decided to go for a TT2 first, replacing Qutest and my integrated amplifier and
driving the speakers directly à la Paul2qute and others.
I think, and hope, it will really improve transparency, add some details and perhaps a fullness to the sound.
After that I'm going to top it off with a M Scaler and I can't really imagine how good it will sound.

The only issue being that I've not really prepared a budget for it so it might take some time.
Waiting for good stuff like this when you have decided the path to take and enjoying what you have while waiting
is a true form of art I must say. Very difficult.

..In the context of this audio hobby I should add.
It's of course a first world problem and there are far worse things going on in the world
but it's the M Scaler thread after all :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back