Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 12, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #5,011 of 18,490
I have yet to try Naim but have read many good things. I will most likely be waiting out for the Mscaler compatible amp (DX) for my speakers. I am always conflicted with gear because I find room correction useful for the lower mids and lows, but only a few components provide that feature. Maybe I'll have to look at the all digital MiniDSP and have it send a digital signal to the chord gear for scaling, DAC, and amp.
Look closely at the specs on the mini DSP. They aren’t that great. I have one. It has some nice features, but is not very clean, and limited on supported sample rates. I was using it for a crossover, bass management, parametric eq, and timing adjustments. It did everything well, but never sounded as clean as not using it. Just my $0.02.

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #5,013 of 18,490
@Rob Watts

Hi there,

very simple query. with h2/hms are we getting h2's 49k taps plus 1 extra tap from hms in pass thru. so in total h2's 49k taps+1?

Jan 15, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #5,015 of 18,490
I too finally got the HMS in... plus another item I waited weeks for coincidentally arrived today as well.. Christmas came late but better late than never! :)

RUCyfDs.jpg

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #5,016 of 18,490
I too finally got the HMS in... plus another item I waited weeks for coincidentally arrived today as well.. Christmas came late but better late than never! :)

RUCyfDs.jpg

What are the can’s ?

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #5,018 of 18,490
Ya, agreed but he has made a vital mistake.

He bought a silver mscaler, they don’t upscale to 768khz, only 705khz as they are missing the onboard memory controller.

Without having an onboard memory controller, the silver mscaler can only go as high as 705khz. The memory controller on the silver mscalers is located on the pcb not the cpu and because so, the instructions are sent back and forth between the memory controller and the cpu causing delays which hamper realtime upscaling/playback at 768khz. It also lacks cache levels 3 and 4.

The black mscaler has both an on chip memory controller, making sent instructions more or less instant and, it has all 4 cache levels, L1 - L4, which allow it to keep up with real time upscaling and playback at 768khz.

[COLOR=#ffff7]Do not believe me as it’s not true! Joke Smiley face goes here.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #5,019 of 18,490
ZMF Verite? Beautiful.

Yep! I am always impressed w/ ZMF craftsmanship, they make some great headphones.

He bought a silver mscaler, they don’t upscale to 768khz, only 705khz as they are missing the onboard memory controller.

Without having an onboard memory controller, the silver mscaler can only go as high as 705khz. The memory controller on the silver mscalers is located on the pcb not the cpu and because so, the instructions are sent back and forth between the memory controller and the cpu causing delays which hamper realtime upscaling/playback at 768khz. It also lacks cache levels 3 and 4.

The black mscaler has both an on chip memory controller, making sent instructions more or less instant and, it has all 4 cache levels, L1 - L4, which allow it to keep up with real time upscaling and playback at 768khz.

Do not believe me as it’s not true! Smiley face here.

Hah, honestly I love how it looks in black but had to get silver to match the DAVE!

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #5,020 of 18,490

Really?

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #5,021 of 18,490
Yep! I am always impressed w/ ZMF craftsmanship, they make some great headphones.

Hah, honestly I love how it looks in black but had to get silver to match the DAVE!

Ya, they both look nice and it will go nicely with your dave.

My post above about the memory controller is just joking and not true incase anyone was wondering :).

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #5,022 of 18,490
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #5,023 of 18,490
No, it’s a joke about the silver mscaler.

If you look closely at the bottom of that post you will see something small :wink:
Nothing would surprise me any more...

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #5,025 of 18,490

Please Amberlamps stop purpritating such utter nonsense on the thread even if it’s just a joke. There are some who can’t tell the difference. So ofcourse there are no differences between black or silver units and both will upscale to multiples of what ever frequency is going in so 768 kHz is quite possible with both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back