Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,026 of 18,478
Another listening session tonight. The improvement with the M-Scaler is really obvious now. I guess I have learned what to listen for. At the moment I am listening to the B-52s (of all things!) and I can really hear it - when I bypass there is a clear loss of depth and clarity.

On to my Zappa collection ...

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #2,027 of 18,478
Another listening session tonight. The improvement with the M-Scaler is really obvious now. I guess I have learned what to listen for. At the moment I am listening to the B-52s (of all things!) and I can really hear it - when I bypass there is a clear loss of depth and clarity.

Are you using it with DAVE? What BNC cables are you using? Thanks.

Oct 19, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #2,030 of 18,478
What is the length of the supplied BNC cables? I apologize if it's been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it in a thread search or on in the instruction manual online.
They are short, about a meter.

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #2,031 of 18,478
After three demo sessions at my local hifi shop (first a few weeks ago with the m-scaler going to my hugo1 (as they never had tt2 at that time), 2nd yesterday using tt2+mscaler (but i only with coax and optical souce, so not the full upscaling), and so back today for about an hour with my macbook, to see the full potential via usb).....and ended with me coming home with a couple of new boxes :)

fwiw, the step-change from hugo1 to tt2 was huge. Including the mscaler far less of a step jump. I would have been happy with tt2, but got a deal i was happy with for the combo.

most impressive was when i listened to the combo covering amp duties too, so although setup next to my computer for headphones for now, will be keen to give it a whirl on my speakers.

Attachments

• 20181020_181011.jpg
    20181020_181011.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 20, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #2,033 of 18,478
I've been listening to a lot (13 hours+) of music since receiving my m scaler (2 days) and am sharing my initial thoughts.

The set up of the m scaler took longer than I expected mainly because I hadn't realised that there were dual BNC input and optical output ports as well as dual BNC output and optical input ports. The labels on the ports are reasonably clear but requires good lighting to see (on the black m scaler the writing is an indentation above the port).

To connect the m scaler to my Hugo 2 I used the Audioquest adapter (together with RCA to BNC plugs mentioned in other posts). The BNC cables in the box work well with this adapter as they are reasonably lightweight and do not look like they will cause strain to the Hugo 2 3.5m coax socket.

I bought a Google Chromecast Audio specifically for the m scaler and a QED Reference optical cable. Rob has mentioned that optical provides complete electrical isolation from upstream components and @musickid provided enough enthusiasm for optical to push me into a purchase. I use Roon as my server anyway and they recently supported Chromecast as a network adapter (with evidence of lossless 1:1 optical delivery of the files). For listening I have used my unmodded HD800 headphones with a Nordost Heimdall 2 cable plugged directly into the Hugo 2. All music is lossless 44.1/44/88/96 FLAC files with occasional Tidal 44.1 FLAC. No MQA or DSD tried yet. To test the differences with upscaling I used the m scaler sample rate switch with no other changes.

My first (1 hour) thoughts were very positive. I listen to and enjoy a lot of music (hours every day). I thought how the music sounded more alive and dimensional compared to other reproduction systems (with the exception of vinyl IMO). For me this was a big change, but I've thought about it as a result of comments from others that the changes are subtle and recognise that my big-change perception is a result of many subtle changes in the texture and timing of the music. The dimensional (soundstage?) impact of these many small changes is large for me - like looking at a scene with one eye and then opening the other eye (sorry!). This is especially noticeable for recordings that are recorded live or with the soundstage in a natural fashion - m scaler is able to convey this implicit information. I am now listening out for recordings that have this embedded soundstage info - it is magical and thrilling. Initial listening seems to indicate that many 50s / early 60s jazz recordings fall into this category, although more recent recordings are more varied. I really ought to start a thread to share.... Is this a new category - Music with dimensionality!

I'm pleased with my purchase.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #2,034 of 18,478
Got one question.

Can anyone tell me or point me to a review or something of how the Hugo 2 sounds with the new Mscaler?

Just interested in knowing how much is actually gained by adding an Mscaler to a Hugo 2.

It was just a coincidence that I posted my impressions of Hugo 2 / mscaler after your question.

The DAC sound signature is the same with or without m scaler. If you are looking for a big change in that m scaler won't give it to you. If you are after improvement in the sound from your Hugo 2 then m scaler will give you subtle improvements (tightening up / texture etc). The biggest impact is on soundstage (instrument / vocal placement) and dimensionality which is truly in another dimension to Hugo 2 alone.

For me it is an improvement in all my music through Hugo 2 but becomes musical magic (and transformational) with recordings that have captured this soundstage information. I hadn't realised this this was in the recording without m scaler added.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #2,035 of 18,478
I've been listening to a lot (13 hours+) of music since receiving my m scaler (2 days) and am sharing my initial thoughts.

The set up of the m scaler took longer than I expected mainly because I hadn't realised that there were dual BNC input and optical output ports as well as dual BNC output and optical input ports. The labels on the ports are reasonably clear but requires good lighting to see (on the black m scaler the writing is an indentation above the port).

To connect the m scaler to my Hugo 2 I used the Audioquest adapter (together with RCA to BNC plugs mentioned in other posts). The BNC cables in the box work well with this adapter as they are reasonably lightweight and do not look like they will cause strain to the Hugo 2 3.5m coax socket.

I bought a Google Chromecast Audio specifically for the m scaler and a QED Reference optical cable. Rob has mentioned that optical provides complete electrical isolation from upstream components and @musickid provided enough enthusiasm for optical to push me into a purchase. I use Roon as my server anyway and they recently supported Chromecast as a network adapter (with evidence of lossless 1:1 optical delivery of the files). For listening I have used my unmodded HD800 headphones with a Nordost Heimdall 2 cable plugged directly into the Hugo 2. All music is lossless 44.1/44/88/96 FLAC files with occasional Tidal 44.1 FLAC. No MQA or DSD tried yet. To test the differences with upscaling I used the m scaler sample rate switch with no other changes.

My first (1 hour) thoughts were very positive. I listen to and enjoy a lot of music (hours every day). I thought how the music sounded more alive and dimensional compared to other reproduction systems (with the exception of vinyl IMO). For me this was a big change, but I've thought about it as a result of comments from others that the changes are subtle and recognise that my big-change perception is a result of many subtle changes in the texture and timing of the music. The dimensional (soundstage?) impact of these many small changes is large for me - like looking at a scene with one eye and then opening the other eye (sorry!). This is especially noticeable for recordings that are recorded live or with the soundstage in a natural fashion - m scaler is able to convey this implicit information. I am now listening out for recordings that have this embedded soundstage info - it is magical and thrilling. Initial listening seems to indicate that many 50s / early 60s jazz recordings fall into this category, although more recent recordings are more varied. I really ought to start a thread to share.... Is this a new category - Music with dimensionality!

I have been looking for ways of describing the sound with and without the M-scaler, I like your description in terms of opening an eye. There is a flattening of depth that occurs when the M-Scaler is turned off.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #2,036 of 18,478
The dimensional (soundstage?) impact of these many small changes is large for me - like looking at a scene with one eye and then opening the other eye (sorry!). This is especially noticeable for recordings that are recorded live or with the soundstage in a natural fashion - m scaler is able to convey this implicit information. I am now listening out for recordings that have this embedded soundstage info - it is magical and thrilling. Initial listening seems to indicate that many 50s / early 60s jazz recordings fall into this category, although more recent recordings are more varied. I really ought to start a thread to share.... Is this a new category - Music with dimensionality!

There have been a few posts about how good recordings from the 50s/60s sound with MScaler - the difference is thought to be because those were recorded pre-dolby https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-97#post-14502695

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #2,037 of 18,478

Try going direct from your source into your DAC then through the mscaler in bypass and see what the difference is

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #2,038 of 18,478
There have been a few posts about how good recordings from the 50s/60s sound with MScaler - the difference is thought to be because those were recorded pre-dolby https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-97#post-14502695

Pre Dolby is just one of several possible reasons imho.
Simple miking and possibly the fact that many if not all ? of them, were recorded with valve amplification and valve mics ,and valve tape recorders could also play an important part.
Yes I know it should maybe not be so in theory but they sure sound VERY realistic indeed with the best ones.
As just one example of many many, from my LP collection ,I listened to an EMI Verdi Falstaff recording from 1956 last night and it was stunning in its general realism on LP.
Of course quite lacking in dynamic range compared to the best of modern digital or direct cut LP. But absolutely ,WOW, for voices and instrumental timbre.
I suspect the introduction of transistors did not necessarily bring better SQ?
Much smaller and more practical yes, but maybe not better SQ?
And now it seems M-scaler is capable of bringing out things hitherto hidden in these old recordings for those who did not keep their analouge systems or never had one. Or have ever before heard what analogue is actually capable of in pure SQ terms, in spite of its many known and admittedly audible,limitations.

Bringing the topic back on digital could someone with more technical knowledge than me maybe explain what may have happened with one and only one my computers which since this morning refuses to play music via any of my DACs???

Could there be something wrong with the usb connections on it? Or could it be the soundcard that needs changing?
It started with music in only one channel and now no music at all via dacs.

But if I play via the inbuilt speakers on my MBP I get sound from both channels.
And my even older laptop works fine.
PLEASE ADVICE ASAP!

I have only a couple of weeks before going abroad for the entire winter and want to bring my main laptop as usual.
And my music is my only addiction.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #2,039 of 18,478
It was just a coincidence that I posted my impressions of Hugo 2 / mscaler after your question.

The DAC sound signature is the same with or without m scaler. If you are looking for a big change in that m scaler won't give it to you. If you are after improvement in the sound from your Hugo 2 then m scaler will give you subtle improvements (tightening up / texture etc). The biggest impact is on soundstage (instrument / vocal placement) and dimensionality which is truly in another dimension to Hugo 2 alone.

For me it is an improvement in all my music through Hugo 2 but becomes musical magic (and transformational) with recordings that have captured this soundstage information. I hadn't realised this this was in the recording without m scaler added.
Thanks bro, I owe you one! :D

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #2,040 of 18,478
I bought a Google Chromecast Audio specifically for the m scaler and a QED Reference optical cable.

@apmusson Did you use an adapter to connect the QED to the Chromecast or is there an option with a 3.5mm termination?
I m experimenting with optical too atm and finding it rather adequate sonically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back