Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,996 of 18,448
As I mentioned, for the DAVE I found the difference small at first but obvious after a while.

I've an idea what the difference in the way we are describing the mscaler sound might be. The scaler tightens up the sound - on a side by side comparison without the mscaler this tightening is quite subtle but it changes the perception and enjoyment of the music in a big way (for me anyway).

I've done a comparison while listening to a track (Willie Nelson - Crazy). Flicking the mscaler between 1m taps and passthough. The tightening in all aspects of the music is noticable with the 1m taps but subtle, however my appreciation for the performance is enhanced and transformed. This is particularly noticable in bringing out the dimensionality in the performance.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,997 of 18,448
ACORDFAN!! you are using the wrong adaptors you need these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MT6BE2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BNC Female to RCA Phono Male

upload_2018-10-18_18-7-44.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,998 of 18,448
I got the first Blaxius^2 (if you don´t count in Peters own cable) two days ago. I will report more next week. But I think it is really important to know that it is a very stiff cable. Before you order I recommend you to take contact with Peter which lenghts he recommends for the placement of your equipment.

@yellowblue how close are the blaxius^2 when plugged in? On the blu2 and the dave the bnc's are very close together is there enough bend in cables near the plugs to connect ok.?

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,999 of 18,448
Oct 18, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #2,000 of 18,448
The other way round that's new to me.

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #2,001 of 18,448
The other way round that's new to me.

I was going to do that but decided to stick with BNC for the cable (as BNC is used to link mscaler to the other Chord DACs). @acordfan it might be worth getting the adapters @musickid suggests - you'll then be in the same position as everyone else who uses BNC cables.

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #2,002 of 18,448
Any regrets not going down the tt2 solo route instead of h2/mscaler??

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #2,003 of 18,448
@yellowblue how close are the blaxius^2 when plugged in? On the blu2 and the dave the bnc's are very close together is there enough bend in cables near the plugs to connect ok.?

I had no problems with that. There was enough space between the connectors.

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #2,004 of 18,448
I was going to do that but decided to stick with BNC for the cable (as BNC is used to link mscaler to the other Chord DACs). @acordfan it might be worth getting the adapters @musickid suggests - you'll then be in the same position as everyone else who uses BNC cables.
You are right in your assumptions. Any adaptor when used on high speed data cables is not wise practice. As the cable connector itself can cause signal reflections up and down the cable. It’s best to use only properly made properly engineered high frequency cables. Sadly I’m afraid I must say here It’s unwise to purchase those types expensively made by Fred in a shed who hasn’t a clue about good RF engineering signal practices but is still quite happy to stick on a fancy label and charge a very fancy price for his dubious goods.

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,005 of 18,448
You are right in your assumptions. Any adaptor when used on high speed data cables is not wise practice. As the cable connector itself can cause signal reflections up and down the cable. It’s best to use only properly made properly engineered high frequency cables. Sadly I’m afraid I must say here It’s unwise to purchase those types expensively made by Fred in a shed who hasn’t a clue about good RF engineering signal practices but is still quite happy to stick on a fancy label and charge a very fancy price for his dubious goods.

One thing to remember with BNC cables, or adaptors, is that you need to give them a twist to make sure thet’re properly locked.

Doesn’t look like Fred is getting an endorsement from Chord. What happened there?

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #2,006 of 18,448
Hi John myself and others are using dual bnc cables to twin bnc to rca adaptors to twin rca to 3.5mm stereo jack adaptor for hugo2 and mscaler. Rob stated he gets excellent results with adaptors and there seems to be no other way to connect hugo2 with an mscaler?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #2,007 of 18,448
I can’t believe of all the audioquest rca to 3.5mm cables I tried, this shabby-looking one actually worked without any dropouts!

I’m guessing their cable didn’t really clamp hard on the adapter so it can’t maintain a stable connection no matter how hard I hold ‘em.

166B3B6E-5D4E-48C4-977A-E61CF3E71FCC.jpeg

I already ordered the adapter @musickid posted before I tried this so I could use the stock bnc cables.

Everyone’s been a big help, thanks! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #2,008 of 18,448
Doesn't hugo2 get a little photo snapshot too? All these big nasty bnc cable people ughhh. Poor hugee2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back