Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 18, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #1,981 of 18,530
I have had an M-scaler on demo for a few days. They way I would describe the combination with DAVE is “more DAVE”. It builds on the already excellent imaging, with fuller sound, more defined bass, better transients. The difference becomes more apparent with more listening. At first I found the difference small, but now it is obvious. I have now ordered one.

Although my first experience of an MScaler was with the Blu2 I agree about the “more DAVE” comment. I think that is how I put it at the time. Going back to the Dave alone made it sound broken.

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #1,982 of 18,530
First impressions of my mscaler are fantastic. I have heard others on this forum say that they struggle to hear a difference but for me the difference is huge. Most noticeable in the timbre / depth & dimensionality of the music.

My system is

ROON to Google Chromecast / QED optical reference cable / mscaler / Hugo 2 / Sennheiser HD800 (Nordost Cabled).

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,983 of 18,530
Although my first experience of an MScaler was with the Blu2 I agree about the “more DAVE” comment. I think that is how I put it at the time. Going back to the Dave alone made it sound broken.
Indeed, “broken” is also a nice way of putting it. I miss it as soon as I bypass the upscaling.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #1,984 of 18,530
Congratulations Adrian. Now each of us need to find the funds to stack a TT2 on top and truly finish this project.

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,985 of 18,530
I have had an M-scaler on demo for a few days. They way I would describe the combination with DAVE is “more DAVE”. It builds on the already excellent imaging, with fuller sound, more defined bass, better transients. The difference becomes more apparent with more listening. At first I found the difference small, but now it is obvious. I have now ordered one.
Thanks for your comments.
At two audio shows I heard a blue-dave combo thru chord amps and spendor speakers. I know that M-Scaled music sounded good but I still struggled to hear the quantum leap with either 1M/500k taps selectrd or even bypassed for that matter. Others in the room felt the same way and in fact when guessed which setting was used, several guessed wrong.
So I suppose the chain really matters in determining the sonic benefits.
I eagerly await more reviews to help settle my decision.

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,986 of 18,530
At two audio shows I heard a blue-dave combo thru chord amps and spendor speakers. I know that M-Scaled music sounded good but I still struggled to hear the quantum leap with either 1M/500k taps selectrd or even bypassed for that matter. Others in the room felt the same way and in fact when guessed which setting was used, several guessed wrong.
So I suppose the chain really matters in determining the sonic benefits.
I eagerly await more reviews to help settle my decision.

I’ve never been a fan of A/B demos, though I accept at shows it’s a standard procedure. You’re better off demoing at home over a few days in a familiar system, and listening to long stretches of music. Differences can take a while to manifest themselves.

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #1,987 of 18,530

I'm also keen to understand why there is this difference in opinion. It would be interesting to see if it's a system or a human thing.

The differences in the quality from mscaler in my setup are not small. The HD800s are very incisive / detailed by nature. I wonder if that makes a difference? Perhaps that could provide the canvas for the transients to be more apparent?

A home trial sounds like a good idea. Mscaler is not inexpensive and shows tend to be terrible to try new equipment (limited time, noise etc).

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,988 of 18,530
I'm also keen to understand why there is this difference in opinion. It would be interesting to see if it's a system or a human thing.

The differences in the quality from mscaler in my setup are not small. The HD800s are very incisive / detailed by nature. I wonder if that makes a difference? Perhaps that could provide the canvas for the transients to be more apparent?

A home trial is a good idea. Mscaler is not inexpensive and shows tend to be terrible to try new equipment (limited time, noise etc).
Fully agree on home trial. I have not heard the M-Scaler with other Chord DACs, but I can imagine the difference is more noticeable on the Qutest, Hugo 2 and TT2 than on the DAVE. As I mentioned, for the DAVE I found the difference small at first but obvious after a while. Whether it is worth it or not will depend on the individual, in my case I went ahead and ordered one.

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,990 of 18,530
Hi @Rob Watts, I have tried using an Audioquest Pearl 3.5mm (1.5m) to RCA cable with RCA to BNC adapters to connect Hugo 2 with M Scaler.

Setting it to any rate works well but in Dual BNC mode the sampling rate flickers intermittently. What kind of cable can you recommend for optimal performance? Thanks!

Just checkinng because you didn't mention it; you're using one of these, right?

Image%202018-10-18%20at%207.48.58%20AM.png

The RCA's in this set up do not plug in to the RCA jacks of the Hugo 2.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #1,991 of 18,530
Hi @Rob Watts, I have tried using an Audioquest Pearl 3.5mm (1.5m) to RCA cable with RCA to BNC adapters to connect Hugo 2 with M Scaler.

Setting it to any rate works well but in Dual BNC mode the sampling rate flickers intermittently. What kind of cable can you recommend for optimal performance? Thanks!
Rob was initially using diy cables https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-26#post-14406171
@Triode User posted this https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.885042/page-67#post-14453563
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.885042/page-104#post-14508206
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.885042/page-103#post-14507382

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #1,992 of 18,530
Just checkinng because you didn't mention it; you're using one of these, right?

Image%202018-10-18%20at%207.48.58%20AM.png

The RCA's in this set up do not plug in to the RCA jacks of the Hugo 2.

I'm using a pair of adapters that look like this to connect into dual BNC outputs from M scaler, then an audioquest rca to 3.5mm cable into Hugo 2 Coaxial input.

pearstone_abncr_c1_bnc_male_rca_female_nickel_924665.jpg

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,993 of 18,530
I'm using a pair of adapters that look like this to connect into dual BNC outputs from M scaler, then an audioquest rca to 3.5mm cable into Hugo 2 Coaxial input.

I'm using the same setup but with the BNC cables that came with mscaler and gold adapters (like the ones in the photo). No flickering on mine..

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,994 of 18,530

I think there was a recent post on one of the chord threads about flickering, and the advice was to ensure that the BNC plugs were fully pushed into the BNC sockets.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #1,995 of 18,530

I hope these links get stickied on the front page. Good stuff!

I'm using the same setup but with the BNC cables that came with mscaler and gold adapters (like the ones in the photo). No flickering on mine..

I think there was a recent post on one of the chord threads about flickering, and the advice was to ensure that the BNC plugs were fully pushed into the BNC sockets.

Will try double-triple check the connectors again, along with the links posted.

Thanks for swift replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back