Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 17, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #1,952 of 18,495
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,954 of 18,495
Hi Rob,

I understand the TT2 uses super capacitors, which along with providing high current capability, I presume also prevents leakage currents and RF.

Is this the same for the M-Scaler?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #1,955 of 18,495
Hi Rob,

I understand the TT2 uses super capacitors, which along with providing high current capability, I presume also prevents leakage currents and RF.

Is this the same for the M-Scaler?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hopefully Rob will be along to answer you but he must be distracted at the moment (he did post that he had just received a prototype of a piece of new kit so maybe that is it).

In the meantime, it is my understanding that the MScaler does not use super capacitors (which is logical as their big party trick is fast transient high current delivery which is beneficial in TT2 but not needed in HMS).

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #1,956 of 18,495
My Hugo M Scaler arrived last week and I would like to share my first impressions. Take them with a grain of salt, because my unit is not fully burned in yet.
I am happy to have bought Hugo M Scaler and will keep it for sure, it is summit-fi. Nevertheless, I will add another Lush^2 USB cable to replace the Uptone USPCB and will look for an affordable BNC cable with added warmth (especially with more lower mids, maybe also a little more bass). Stock BNC cables seem to be really ok, but I have to tweak the sound of my audio chain to mimic the tonality of solo DAVE, which I like so much.
Enjoy your M Scalers!:)
@xxx1313 if you like the Lush^2 i'd recommend a pair of Blaxius from @PeterSt for the price they are amazing or if you like the ^2 then there's

Blaxius%5E2%20Interlink%2001.jpg

my pair are being built next week along with a lush^2

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #1,958 of 18,495
@xxx1313 if you like the Lush^2 i'd recommend a pair of Blaxius from @PeterSt for the price they are amazing or if you like the ^2 then there's

Thanks! I know that Blaxius^2 is in the works and this project sounds promising to me, so I am looking forward to your impressions, too.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,961 of 18,495
Oh dear, does this mean that Rob didn’t manage to resolve this issue with the mScaler, even with internal ferrites? How disappointing.
All products are designed to a price. An optical link from the M-Scaler to the DAC would be the ultimate, 100% solution to RFI injection. Alas, the DX dual coax interface is settled so until a next get DAC family is launched all we can expect are RFI control measures that may not be the magic bullet but are the best for the price.
It's unfortunate that an end game DAC has this perceived deficiency ...but please regard it as being quite amazing for the price.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,962 of 18,495

Blaxius%5E2%20Interlink%2001.jpg

Whats the extra wires hanging off the cables ? My guess would be grounding, but it doesn’t look like it. What are they ?

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #1,963 of 18,495
Could anyone suggest a suitable travel case for the M Scaler?

Pelican case. I'll have to look tomorrow to see which one. My laptop survived a swamping in a case in salt water! I own close to a dozen of various sizes.

Pelican foam allows you to have a custom insert. pelicanfoam.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back