Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 18, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #1,966 of 18,588
Hi Rob,

I understand the TT2 uses super capacitors, which along with providing high current capability, I presume also prevents leakage currents and RF.

Is this the same for the M-Scaler?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Actually super-caps are actually useless for RF and leakage currents - but they provide complete isolation, together with the input inductor, for audio frequencies. The PSU only supplies DC current, no audio related current at all. This is important for analogue; the M scaler is not analogue, so here we only have to worry about RF and leakage, something for which super-caps have zero benefit - hence why the M scaler has no super caps.

Hopefully Rob will be along to answer you but he must be distracted at the moment (he did post that he had just received a prototype of a piece of new kit so maybe that is it).

In the meantime, it is my understanding that the MScaler does not use super capacitors (which is logical as their big party trick is fast transient high current delivery which is beneficial in TT2 but not needed in HMS).

Yes sometimes in life one gets completely inundated with work pressures; too much to do and not enough time to do it - it's the phase I am in at the moment! But a lot of my TODO list got done over last couple of days...

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,967 of 18,588
Whats the extra wires hanging off the cables ? My guess would be grounding, but it doesn’t look like it. What are they ?

I'm guessing it is a John Swenson shielding arrangement with various grounding options. It will be interesting to get a report. The issue with the MScaler is of course residual common mode RF noise and shielding of any sort would not normally be successful in addressing that (ferrites are the go to solution for common mode noise).

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #1,968 of 18,588
Hi all. I didn't read the Terms as of late, so if I disobey some rules, please let me know.

Whats the extra wires hanging off the cables ?

I'm guessing it is a John Swenson shielding arrangement with various grounding options

Yes, the guess about the JSSG arrangement is correct. But beyond because configurable;

The specialty with this cable (opposed to the Lush^2 people might know) is that while the JSSG (360) arrangement deals with shields only, this interlink (Blaxius^2) deals with a mix of shields and ground. So envision a BNC cable which comprises of a conductor and a shield, then the shield also carries the ground return (which also conducts to the outside of the BNC connector itself). This is now all configurable in 1000s of set ups.

People, I had more elaborative text, but I am not sure whether it is allowed to post this. To me it could feel like a commercial and I don't even want to hang out the commercial guy. I saved the text, so if it is allowed I can stuff it in.

Regards,
Peter

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #1,969 of 18,588
I got the first Blaxius^2 (if you don´t count in Peters own cable) two days ago. I will report more next week. But I think it is really important to know that it is a very stiff cable. Before you order I recommend you to take contact with Peter which lenghts he recommends for the placement of your equipment.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #1,971 of 18,588
I got the first Blaxius^2 (if you don´t count in Peters own cable) two days ago. I will report more next week. But I think it is really important to know that it is a very stiff cable. Before you order I recommend you to take contact with Peter which lenghts he recommends for the placement of your equipment.

+1.
And oops, this was even in the text I scratched.

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #1,973 of 18,588
15398588235321722871620.jpg
Waiting at home for UPS to deliver my mscaler. My Hugo 2 looks very lonely..

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #1,974 of 18,588
Local dealer here in the Philippines had 1 unit for demo/sale... they got it yesterday and it is now gone. Le sigh, there goes my chance to A/B with my Qutest. :frowning2:

Oct 18, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #1,975 of 18,588
Local dealer here in the Philippines had 1 unit for demo/sale... they got it yesterday and it is now gone. Le sigh, there goes my chance to A/B with my Qutest. :frowning2:

Do you mean this one? @acordfan has it though :D

IMG_3916.JPG

Oct 18, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #1,976 of 18,588
Do you mean this one? @acordfan has it though :D

Im sure your table top (lol) would love that TT2... pretty sure it’s on its way there already as we speak!

Edit: just noticed your sig! You got it already?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #1,977 of 18,588
Im sure your table top (lol) would love that TT2... pretty sure it’s on its way there already as we speak!

Edit: just noticed your sig! You got it already?

Yep! Will bring it to one of our future meets

Oct 18, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #1,978 of 18,588
Oct 18, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #1,980 of 18,588
I have had an M-scaler on demo for a few days. They way I would describe the combination with DAVE is “more DAVE”. It builds on the already excellent imaging, with fuller sound, more defined bass, better transients. The difference becomes more apparent with more listening. At first I found the difference small, but now it is obvious. I have now ordered one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back