Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 29, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #136 of 18,543
rude?really?...come on...an observation

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #137 of 18,543
Would the M-Scaler work in sitting on top of another amplifier. (I know we photos of the M-Scaler, Hugo TT 2, and Ttoby.) However some amplifiers run a little warm too. ... I have had vague thoughts about buying the Simaudio Moon 240i amplifier. It has a openings in the top of the amplifier to let out heat. I am wondering how the M-Scaler (or TT 2) would cope sat on an amplifier like that.

I don't think I have any worries about the M-Scaler being on top of an amplifier now. Maybe it might be wise not to put it on top of something like a hot Class A amplifier though. Same with any device though.

I think if I bough the Moon 240i amplifier, I would put my tuner between the amplifier and the M-Scaler. I don't use my tuner right now. I had plans to take it off my desk. However might be an idea not to cover the heat outlet of an amplifier with it. Not blocking the heat outlet or course; just stacking.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #138 of 18,543
I don't think I have any worries about the M-Scaler being on top of an amplifier now. Maybe it might be wise not to put it on top of something like a hot Class A amplifier though. Same with any device though.

I think if I bough the Moon 240i amplifier, I would put my tuner between the amplifier and the M-Scaler. I don't use my tuner right now. I had plans to take it off my desk. However might be an idea to cover the heat outlet of an amplifier with it. Not blocking the heat outlet or course; just stacking.

Might be just me but i think Mscaler and TT2 for example would look nicer sitting side by side instead of stacked.

Jul 29, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #139 of 18,543
Mm...that is what the Hugo TT2, TT and standalone M Scaler are for. They are self-contained and designed for off-grid listening. Have great sound, will travel on planes, trains and automobiles. Wards off boredom, crying babies, talkative tourists, engine noise etc. etc. etc.

What topflight headphones have you (anyone?) listened to using the M Scaler? The Aeon Closed is fine, I guess but the TT2/M Scaler deserves a proper pairing, considering the considerable investment. HD 800/S, 820, Utopia, Abyss, LCD 4, Stax etc. Using lesser headphones is a crime against humanity. Curious.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #142 of 18,543
M scaler and TT2 sounded truly awesome through Audeze LCD4 and Focal Utopia at canjam.Captivating and totally immersive sound even in the less than favourable listening conditions.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #143 of 18,543
What topflight headphones have you (anyone?) listened to using the M Scaler? The Aeon Closed is fine, I guess but the TT2/M Scaler deserves a proper pairing, considering the considerable investment. HD 800/S, 820, Utopia, Abyss, LCD 4, Stax etc. Using lesser headphones is a crime against humanity. Curious.
I brought my Focal Utopia with me on Saturday and my HIFIMAN HE1000v2 on Sunday, both with Prion4 cable. Difficult in show conditions and with unfamiliar tracks to talk confidently about the specifics of what I was hearing but there was an understated confidence and control in the way the M scaler/Hugo TT2 presented music, with nothing glaringly absent from what my Blu2 has led me to expect from the M scaler technology. That was good enough for me to place my M scaler/TT2 order immediately after the show.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #144 of 18,543
You enjoy your mojo poly, so l suggest keep them and sacrifice the H2. I am intrigued by a recent post of robs, where he said that one can use mscaler to feed 384khz to mojo. So you could always use mojo and mscaler together - just because you can, for a bit of fun.

I have decided, Mojo and Poly have to go but, I will be buying them again.

I will suffer using my iphone for a couple of months.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #145 of 18,543
I have decided, Mojo and Poly have to go but, I will be buying them again.

I will suffer using my iphone for a couple of months.
You have surprised me there. :slight_smile:
However the H2 + MScaler pairing is very tempting, and then wait a while to see what the functionality of the DX amps, and whether they remove the need for TT2. :wink:

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #146 of 18,543
You have surprised me there. :slight_smile:
However the H2 + MScaler pairing is very tempting, and then wait a while to see what the functionality of the DX amps, and whether they remove the need for TT2. :wink:

Or better, get some good highly efficient speakers driven direct from TT2 and your done. No need for a more powerful amp when DX arrives, whenever that could be down the road??

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #147 of 18,543
For Nik and STR did you listen to TT2 on its own? At the moment it's within my reach and i'm eager to get TT2 feedback. Cheers MK.

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #148 of 18,543
For Nik and STR did you listen to TT2 on its own? At the moment it's within my reach and i'm eager to get TT2 feedback. Cheers MK.
Yes, but only with the easy-to-drive Utopias and with tracks I was unfamiliar with. Again, difficult to be precise about particular aspects of sound in show conditions with openback headphones but it felt generally to be a step up from the H2, which I owned before trading in towards a Blu2. There was a sense of greater authority with the same or greater level of detail but without the threat of taking some hot top-end recordings over the edge, which the H2 could sometimes do. These were very quick preliminary impressions as I didn’t spend that long listening to the TT2 on its own, so do take with a pinch of salt.

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #149 of 18,543

I only heard the two units together so can’t make any comments about differences in sound without the M scaler.
I also didn’t get a chance to hear the Dave so I probably didn’t get to experience the pinnacle of the Chord sound.

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #150 of 18,543
Or better, get some good highly efficient speakers driven direct from TT2 and your done. No need for a more powerful amp when DX arrives, whenever that could be down the road??
I have two use cases:
  1. Upstairs in the study, for my computer I have the Hugo 2 direct driving a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds as computer monitors. True I could improve on the Diamonds, by building some more efficient single driver speakers, but in the short-term I am enjoying the Diamonds.
  2. Downstairs in the main room, I have a pair of Focal Aria 936 which I enjoy. The big question is would the TT2 be able to drive them on its own, or would the digital amp do a better job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back