Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 30, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #151 of 18,516
F7E52572-EC97-4EFA-89AA-F362D931E725.jpeg For those of you undecided between TT2 and Scaler, I took a pic of both for you :)

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #153 of 18,516
You have surprised me there. :slight_smile:
However the H2 + MScaler pairing is very tempting, and then wait a while to see what the functionality of the DX amps, and whether they remove the need for TT2. :wink:

I couldn’t pass up the too good to be true offer.

Seriously, I may have spoken crap regarding poly at the begining of the year, however, I really will miss them for a couple of months. < I really will, it’s like my TV remote, always by my side. For our American cousins, replace TV remote with Gun.

Just as its about to get updated, I will miss out.

Last night I did some serious thinking and I kept looking at mojo and poly in its case and I kept saying to myself, how great do they look in that van nuys case and I was making up reasons why I should keep them, the reasons were emotional and not financial. In the end, financial won.

Where I am from, Chord and many many others have 0 presence up here ( which is weird, as after London, this is the next wealthiest city in the uk ) and nearly every time I take them out of my pocket, someone will ask me what it is. 3 years after it was first released, its still turning heads.

Anyway, they won’t be leaving me for good, I have many cases and accessories and a decent but costly collection of iem’s that I will never use on TT2, so its guaranteed that I will grab mojo and poly again.

It was an emotional sunday night for various reasons, the above mojo/poly conundrum and since thursday of last week, I am now spending the last few days with my dog, who has end stage heart failure and nearly died last thursday. We are now just taking it day by day and I really will miss him.

:cry:

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #154 of 18,516
I couldn’t pass up the too good to be true offer.

Seriously, I may have spoken crap regarding poly at the begining of the year, however, I really will miss them for a couple of months. < I really will, it’s like my TV remote, always by my side. For our American cousins, replace TV remote with Gun.

Just as its about to get updated, I will miss out.

Last night I did some serious thinking and I kept looking at mojo and poly in its case and I kept saying to myself, how great do they look in that van nuys case and I was making up reasons why I should keep them, the reasons were emotional and not financial. In the end, financial won.

Where I am from, Chord and many many others have 0 presence up here ( which is weird, as after London, this is the next wealthiest city in the uk ) and nearly every time I take them out of my pocket, someone will ask me what it is. 3 years after it was first released, its still turning heads.

Anyway, they won’t be leaving me for good, I have many cases and accessories and a decent but costly collection of iem’s that I will never use on TT2, so its guaranteed that I will grab mojo and poly again.

It was an emotional sunday night for various reasons, the above mojo/poly conundrum and since thursday of last week, I am now spending the last few days with my dog, who has end stage heart failure and nearly died last thursday. We are now just taking it day by day and I really will miss him.

:cry:
Sorry to hear about your dog - nothing we post can fill the gap that you will feel, but my thoughts are with you.

Down here in SW France it is also a Chord desert. The nearest dealer is in Paris, and the distributor is located on the France/Belgium border.
It does amaze me that none of the local dealers stock Chord gear. We have the main aerospace hub in france, plus several major science/engineering universties etc - overall maybe a couple of hundred thousand well educated individuals, earning good salaries, who I have thought would be interested in Chord dac technology and products. I do believe that the dealers are missing a trick, but it is their loss.

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #155 of 18,516
Rob, would really appreciate if you would kindly verify my understanding for the outputs of Hugo M-Scaler as follows.

Optical 192kHz 0.5M taps
Coax 384kHz 0.5M taps
Dual BNC 768kHz 1M taps

So dual BNC can only be used with Hugo2 and later Chord DACs.
Other outputs can be used with older Chord DACs and with non-Chord DACs. Am I correct?

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #157 of 18,516
Phuca with regards to mojopoly it's second hand news it's time to go your own way.:kiwi: I heard rumours to that effect.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #158 of 18,516
Sorry to hear about your dog - nothing we post can fill the gap that you will feel, but my thoughts are with you.

Down here in SW France it is also a Chord desert. The nearest dealer is in Paris, and the distributor is located on the France/Belgium border.
It does amaze me that none of the local dealers stock Chord gear. We have the main aerospace hub in france, plus several major science/engineering universties etc - overall maybe a couple of hundred thousand well educated individuals, earning good salaries, who I have thought would be interested in Chord dac technology and products. I do believe that the dealers are missing a trick, but it is their loss.

Cheers Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #161 of 18,516
i cannot conceive of anyone going to the effort of transporting the hugo m scaler on a plane....makes zero sense to me given all the noise one encounters on an airplane.....no way one can discern good from bad in that setting....it is worse than a canjam show lol

I fly with the same headphones. Having two brothers in aviation and grew up an airplane enthusiast I always select, if I can, the type of plane I (we) fly on. You'd be surprised the interior cabin noise differences. Don't want to derail thread talking about bypass engines.

On our next trips, I have decided to check what I'd normally carry-on. I have a bag for both pair of Mr. Speakers headphones and my WA-8. I can easily see carrying a TT2/MSCaler if I had them instead of the WA-8 (would need new bag, though). I have travelled from home to destination total time of 45 hours...

I live in central Indiana and I have "dealers" within 200 miles but have no products to audition. I had to buy my Qutest from Moon Audio on listen of Mojo and reputation. I have to get a audition somewhere of the TT 2. That's a lot of dough to drop without listening to it.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #162 of 18,516
Correct except optical has an upper limit of 192 kHz, and is 0.25M taps.

Rob, thank you for your clarification!
So the correct specifications are...

Optical 192kHz 0.25M taps
Coax 384kHz 0.5M taps
Dual BNC 768kHz 1M taps

Dual BNC can only be used with Hugo2 and later Chord DACs.
Other outputs can be used with older Chord DACs and with non-Chord DACs.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #163 of 18,516
The following cycle the last three nights:

1) 4K saved over summer for chord gear resting in bank so i rationalise TT2 purchase and worry about scaler later.

2) Start thinking about investing a little more (somehow) into H2 and the brand new 1M tap scaler then i start to feel i'm getting carried away especially as i'm a grand short.

3) I switch on mojo/roon/oppo pm1, listening now to Sinatra browsing headphone adaptors for mojo and the possible addition of a £1700 sony mdr-z1r headphone to use with mojo which is sounding stellar .

same cycle :smirk:

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #164 of 18,516
The following cycle the last three nights:

1) 4K saved over summer for chord gear resting in bank so i rationalise TT2 purchase and worry about scaler later.

2) Start thinking about investing a little more (somehow) into H2 and the brand new 1M tap scaler then i start to feel i'm getting carried away especially as i'm a grand short.

3) I switch on mojo/roon/oppo pm1, listening now to Sinatra browsing headphone adaptors for mojo and the possible addition of a £1700 sony mdr-z1r headphone to use with mojo which is sounding stellar .

same cycle :smirk:
Decisions, decisions... The m-scaler is going to be a game changer. I’m so glad it’s going to work with the Hugo 2. It makes my purchasing decisions a lot easier. Yours looks to be tougher

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #165 of 18,516
Why are you not going tt2/scaler out of interest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back