Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 29, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #121 of 18,533
EDIT: No internal battery in the M-Scaler.

About the battery:

Can it be removed, so the M-Scaler runs off charger?
Or can the M-Scalar be switched into running off charger only?
Or does the M-Scaler have the same battery desktop-function as the Hugo 2?

I presume the M-Scaler run a little warm when charging and playing, if that can be done.

Lastly, would the M-Scaler work in sitting on top of another amplifier. (I know we photos of the M-Scaler, Hugo TT 2, and Ttoby.) However some amplifiers run a little warm too. ... I have had vague thoughts about buying the Simaudio Moon 240i amplifier. It has a openings in the top of the amplifier to let out heat. I am wondering how the M-Scaler (or TT 2) would cope sat on an amplifier like that.

I never foresaw the M-Scaler being battery operated. I understand that Rob likes to use it portably though. However I always figured it would be a static charger or mains powered device. Are there any plans to develop a charger powered M-Scaler? Or is there one, and I have missed it.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #122 of 18,533
About the battery:

Can it be removed, so the M-Scaler runs off charger?
Or can the M-Scalar be switched into running off charger only?
Or does the M-Scaler have the same battery desktop-function as the Hugo 2?

I presume the M-Scaler run a little warm when charging and playing, if that can be done.

Lastly, would the M-Scaler work in sitting on top of another amplifier. (I know we photos of the M-Scaler, Hugo TT 2, and Ttoby.) However some amplifiers run a little warm too. ... I have had vague thoughts about buying the Simaudio Moon 240i amplifier. It has a openings in the top of the amplifier to let out heat. I am wondering how the M-Scaler (or TT 2) would cope sat on an amplifier like that.

I never foresaw the M-Scaler being battery operated. I understand that Rob likes to use it portably though. However I always figured it would be a static charger or mains powered device. Are there any plans to develop a charger powered M-Scaler? Or is there one, and I have missed it.

I’m pretty sure the HMS doesn’t have a battery.

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #123 of 18,533
Today i've been using mojo on battery fed by my hp laptop on battery (i3, 256ssd, 8gb ram) which is a roon bridge. This means i can close the lid of the laptop while the roon bridge is still connected to my home wifi network and mojo. There are no other apps running on the laptop which is effectively turned off and a sole dedicated roon bridge. CPU useage registers at 1-2% feeding mojo on battery it is stunning. I control the laptop from my imac roon core wirelessly. The imac is a roon beast at quad core i5, 8gb ram, 512gb ssd and most importantly for roon graphics an nvidia GT55M graphics card on board. It would be interesting to see how some audio servers measure up to this. (mojo ball lights dimmed).

listening to Memoirs of a Geisha--remastered film soundtrack on roon

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #125 of 18,533
It was powered by a portable battery bank.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #126 of 18,533
O sorry all. I thought it must have because I thought I saw a photo of Rob with Hugo 2 and M-Scaler on a plane.

It was powered by a portable battery bank.

Yes, thank you. Right, I see in one of Rob's slides, he mentions it can be powered by a portable battery pack. How clever - juicy stuff.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #127 of 18,533
Its hard to imagine all that gear plus source flying high...:airplane_departure:

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #129 of 18,533
Anyone ordering MScaler that still has Mojo please take the time to pair them together and post your impressions.

I know its a pairing people wont actually use but still curious about what could be improved when jumping up to 500,000 taps on 4e pulse array.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #130 of 18,533
O sorry all. I thought it must have because I thought I saw a photo of Rob with Hugo 2 and M-Scaler on a plane.

i cannot conceive of anyone going to the effort of transporting the hugo m scaler on a plane....makes zero sense to me given all the noise one encounters on an airplane.....no way one can discern good from bad in that setting....it is worse than a canjam show lol

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #131 of 18,533
Anyone ordering MScaler that still has Mojo please take the time to pair them together and post your impressions.

Seems sorta like tail wagging dog or something.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #132 of 18,533
i cannot conceive of anyone going to the effort of transporting the hugo m scaler on a plane....makes zero sense to me given all the noise one encounters on an airplane.....no way one can discern good from bad in that setting....it is worse than a canjam show lol

My HP are Aeon Closed, so suppress noise quite well. But it illustrates how important the M scaler actually is, in that it is worth all the hassle to enjoy music more, particularly whilst listening in not exactly ideal conditions. It's a no brainer for 12 hour flights - but I have even done it for 90 minute flights too.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #133 of 18,533
Rob i heard the blu/dave with my oppo headphones for 5mins at sonority design not enough time at all. While i'm typing this i'm listening to Ethiopian jazz with mojo/battery laptop/roon and its intoxicating. I'm wondering could you describe in a manner that is vividly and emotionally descriptive what the scaler would or could do to my listening experience. I'm finding it hard to imagine how much better it actually can get hence i'm holding back on investing more. I don't know what i'm missing and i can't audition a scaler anytime soon.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #134 of 18,533
i not too long ago brought my hugo along with me on a trip and decided to try them with a pair of mrspeakers closed HP's.....the noise in the cabin was so great that I took them off and took out my book lol....for me it was impossible and certainly not a chance in the world to discern between an m -scaler and without.....in the hotel room however,that is another story!

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #135 of 18,533
i not too long ago brought my hugo along with me on a trip and decided to try them with a pair of mrspeakers closed HP's.....the noise in the cabin was so great that I took them off and took out my book lol....for me it was impossible and certainly not a chance in the world to discern between an m -scaler and without.....in the hotel room however,that is another story!
I think we got your point with your first kinda rude post. But carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back