Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 28, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #91 of 18,534
Onlychild, a little off topic here (sorry to others), but you say you have a Danacable with your HEKv2? Is it the Lazuli Ref? Do you like it or have any quick impressions?
Thanks in advance.
(I love the Lazuli Ref on the LCD4 and Utopia, as it is really transformative, that's why I ask.)

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #92 of 18,534
Nice setup, sending blu back will save you a good whack of cash.

I can’t believe whats just happened, had a decent tradein offer for TT2 and MScaler, and something I had been working on but really didnt think it would happen. A crazy crazy too good to be true offer for both.

The only thing I am pondering is, one offer I trade in for Hugo 2, other deal is tradein for hugo 2 and mojo and poly, The deal is magic but I dont really want to give up mojo and poly as they are so good I will just buy them back at somepoint.

This is hard, truly, one of the hardest decisions I will have to make, its the mojo and poly conundrum. Arghh

Not the exciting answer you want. But for top sound and value for money, I would keep Mojo and Hugo2, and buy Scaler rather than upgrade to HTT2 and lose two great products. Food for thought. Trading in all gear might be a regret later when products are so good already.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #93 of 18,534
Not the exciting answer you want. But for top sound and value for money, I would keep Mojo and Hugo2, and buy Scaler rather than upgrade to HTT2 and lose two great products. Food for thought. Trading in all gear might be a regret later when products are so good already.

1 deal is hugo 2 only, other deal is hugo mojo and poly.

I wouldnt miss Hugo 2, not because it isnt good, on the contrary, I only use it statically as is and my main concern is needing to return it to chord for a battery replacement. Why it doesn’t have a user replaceable battery is a weird one but there must of been a reason for it.

500 charge cycles is not alot. I know there is desktop mode, but in order for that to work and save the battery, hugo 2 has to be left turned on 24/7. When I say left on, I don’t just mean the charger left on, I mean Hugo turned on as if you were listening to music, lights on etc. If turned off with the remote, it starts charging from 80% to 100%, which is counted as 1 fifth of a charge cycle. Thats one reason why I didnt buy TT, battery problems at somepoint, now they use super caps.

So swapping hugo 2 for TT2 is all good, however I would miss mojo and poly, really would as I use it alot and I know if I did part with them, I would buy new ones a few months later, maybe get the gift set version, but, they are probably old ones with the cold boot bug, which as far as I am aware needs to be swapped over with upgraded ones.

To be honest, I was originally going to buy the original TT, I saw that H2 was out and got that instead. I should add, if H3 comes out with a user selectable desktop mode and if in desktop mode, it bypasses the batteries totally, and runs completely off the mains, I would grab that as I dont think the current desktop mode is implemented good at all.

Having to stick it on charge for 24 hours before it kicks in, not a great idea and then its followed by another not great idea, to get the best use of desktop mode, hugo 2 has to be physically on 24/7 365. < really not a great idea, also could be a fire hazard.

A couple of ideas for rob and john to possibly take on board for H3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 28, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #94 of 18,534

I wouldnt miss Hugo 2, not because it isnt good, on the contrary, I only use it statically as is and my main concern is needing to return it to chord for a battery replacement. Why it doesn’t have a user replaceable battery is a weird one but there must of been a reason for it.

500 charge cycles is not alot. I know there is desktop mode, but in order for that to work and save the battery, hugo 2 has to be left turned on 24/7. When I say left on, I don’t just mean the charger left on, I mean Hugo turned on as if you were listening to music, lights on etc. If turned off with the remote, it starts charging from 80% to 100%, which is counted as 1 fifth of a charge cycle. Thats one reason why I didnt buy TT, battery problems at somepoint, now they use super caps.

So swapping hugo 2 for TT2 is all good, however I would miss mojo and poly, really would as I use it alot and I know if I did part with them, I would buy new ones a few months later, maybe get the gift set version, but, they are probably old ones with the cold boot bug, which as far as I am aware needs to be swapped over with upgraded ones.

To be honest, I was originally going to buy the original TT, I saw that H2 was out and got that instead. I should add, if H3 comes out with a user selectable desktop mode and if in desktop mode, it bypasses the batteries totally, and runs completely off the mains, I would grab that as I dont think the current desktop mode is implemented good at all.

Having to stick it on charge for 24 hours before it kicks in, not a great idea and then its followed by another not great idea, to get the best use of desktop mode, hugo 2 has to be physically on 24/7 365. < really not a great idea, also could be a fire hazard.

You enjoy your mojo poly, so l suggest keep them and sacrifice the H2. I am intrigued by a recent post of robs, where he said that one can use mscaler to feed 384khz to mojo. So you could always use mojo and mscaler together - just because you can, for a bit of fun.

Jul 28, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #95 of 18,534

I somewhat agree with you regarding desktop mode it was a PITA to get it enabled because I would occasionally take it outside or bring it to a friends house, it would be much easier to enable it with a click of a button but there is probably a good reason why Rob didn't implement that.

it seems that you really enjoy Mojo/Poly so if I were you I would stick with that until you get your scaler and save up in the mean time to afford TT2.

It would also be great to read impressions of a 500,000 tap Mojo, it would give us all a glimpse of what the future may hold :wink:

Jul 28, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #96 of 18,534
You enjoy your mojo poly, so l suggest keep them and sacrifice the H2. I am intrigued by a recent post of robs, where he said that one can use mscaler to feed 384khz to mojo. So you could always use mojo and mscaler together - just because you can, for a bit of fun.

Ya, even though at times it has drove me mad, since the firmware update and gofigure, apart from two lockups, its been more or less plain sailing and I really would miss them. It’s always on me when I go out and at times before I goto sleep.

The combo look excellent in that chord+van nuys case, basically everyday when I pick it up, I think how nice does this look. I am looking at them now and it just screams quality merchandise.

Everything I own will be tested with the mscaler, I just hope my new headphones do it justice.

One thing I will miss is not being able to try 2go, I really really liked the idea of H2 with streaming capabilities but, I can’t have my cake and eat it, plus, I was thinking it would be great to take hugo here there everywhere and stream off the sd card, but when I really think about it, I realise its just too big and an addon will just make it bigger and much more unsuitable for portability.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #98 of 18,534
For Rob 3 small points: 1) does the mscaler's performance/SQ remain exactly the same whether battery powered or mains powered?

2) With a battery powered laptop to battery powered mscaler to an H2 plugged in 24/7 for desktop mode. In this chain would the fact that H2 is plugged in to mains cancel any of the benefits of having a scaler/laptop on battery before it.

3) Does it make any sense to wait for the integrated amp to see how its headphone out compares to H2/TT2/DAVE headphone out when using an mscaler with all of them? So does the integrated amp headphone out perform better than all current chord dacs headphone out.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #99 of 18,534
As a Hugo 2 owner, the product I really want is the MScaler2Go...

I’ll probably get a TT2 and the M Scaler at some point, but will have to feed the M Scaler from a Sonore UltraRendu for office listening. The UltraRenduu is great, but I’d rather have a single device doing both the streaming and the upscaling, ideally as a Roon endpoint, or with local microSD storage.

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #100 of 18,534
As a Hugo 2 owner, the product I really want is the MScaler2Go...

I’ll probably get a TT2 and the M Scaler at some point, but will have to feed the M Scaler from a Sonore UltraRendu for office listening. The UltraRenduu is great, but I’d rather have a single device doing both the streaming and the upscaling, ideally as a Roon endpoint, or with local microSD storage.
I’m with you. Instead of saving for both I plan on getting the m-scaler first. It would benefit me in the now since it will work with the Hugo 2. So I see no need to rush and get a TT2.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #101 of 18,534
For Rob 3 small points: 1) does the mscaler's performance/SQ remain exactly the same whether battery powered or mains powered?

2) With a battery powered laptop to battery powered mscaler to an H2 plugged in 24/7 for desktop mode. In this chain would the fact that H2 is plugged in to mains cancel any of the benefits of having a scaler/laptop on battery before it.

3) Does it make any sense to wait for the integrated amp to see how its headphone out compares to H2/TT2/DAVE headphone out when using an mscaler with all of them? So does the integrated amp headphone out perform better than all current chord dacs headphone out.

1. Yes seems to make no difference to SQ battery or the supplied PSU. Note that use of PSU's other than the one supplied may invalidate the Chord warranty in that if failure is down to overvoltage from the not supplied PSU then you would not be covered for that particular repair - and over voltage is a particular type of fault easy for Chord to verify. Never go above 15V on the input with the Hugo M scaler. The warranty with other PSU's applies to all Chord devices.

2. I have just tried the lap-top on battery or mains, with a Hugo M scaler and a TT2 on headphones - no consistent difference at all. Previous tests with optical against USB revealed no difference (headphones again). Again, YMMV...

3. No. The DX amps are intended for power amps, although of course HP drive will be available.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #102 of 18,534
Many thanks for the prompt reply Rob. It's really vital when deciding which way to go with chord gear.

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #103 of 18,534
I can’t wait until Qobuz is availbe for the US, The UI looks cleaner than Tidal’s and you also get the ability to play offline songs from your Windows pc, something that you can’t do with Tidal.
Yes, it looks like you guys are getting access to Qobuz in September/October according to this item - https://darko.audio/2018/07/qobuz-cuts-a-slice-of-american-pie/

I’m currently enjoying a free 3-month trial of the CD quality streaming service, which I have been impressed by. I’ve also download several albums and sometimes find as I search through albums I am interested in on the Qobuz site that the prices are significantly lower than on Hdtracks.

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #104 of 18,534
Yes seems to make no difference to SQ battery or the supplied PSU. Note that use of PSU's other than the one supplied may invalidate the Chord warranty in that if failure is down to overvoltage from the not supplied PSU then you would not be covered for that particular repair - and over voltage is a particular type of fault easy for Chord to verify. Never go above 15V on the input with the Hugo M scaler. The warranty with other PSU's applies to all Chord devices.
Thanks, Rob, for that important message about warranty.

I’ve never used a battery pack for any of my audio gear but am interested it giving it a go. What kind of pack would be appropriate for running the M scaler? Would it also be possible to run the Hugo TT2 from a battery pack, or would that need the mains?

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #105 of 18,534
1. Yes seems to make no difference to SQ battery or the supplied PSU. Note that use of PSU's other than the one supplied may invalidate the Chord warranty in that if failure is down to overvoltage from the not supplied PSU then you would not be covered for that particular repair - and over voltage is a particular type of fault easy for Chord to verify. Never go above 15V on the input with the Hugo M scaler. The warranty with other PSU's applies to all Chord devices.

2. I have just tried the lap-top on battery or mains, with a Hugo M scaler and a TT2 on headphones - no consistent difference at all. Previous tests with optical against USB revealed no difference (headphones again). Again, YMMV...

3. No. The DX amps are intended for power amps, although of course HP drive will be available.
Hi Rob,do you use plane mode on your laptop? Wondered if that makes any difference to the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back