Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 27, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #61 of 18,435
Good stuff to ponder on. I think this also has to do with my bad luck last year slightly worried about a repeat.

Has anyone heard tt2 vs tt2+scaler and same for h2? i want to understand the difference.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #62 of 18,435
Hi @Rob Watts , could we connect Hugo M Scaler directly to DX amps with a pair of BNC cables in the future without adding any DACs between them?

Besides, what does each BNC connection carry?
  • Mono 768kHz
  • Stereo 384kHz

Each BNC in dual data mode (DDATA) is a mono SPDIF at 352.8/384 using the AES3 protocol for mono data, so that the sample rate is doubled. The DX mode has the volume control setting, plus the HF filter, so the DX amp can adjust volume and insert the HF filter. The intent is if the DX amp sees only one DX data, then it will auto configure to monoblock mode. Some DX amps would be intended to be power amps, some are integrated amps that is with a volume control and multiple inputs.

What does the M-scaler do with a dsd-encoded file?
Does the DSD mode of DAVE have any relevance or utility with the M-scaler in use?
Thank you.

It converts it to PCM at 705.6 kHz. It uses the new DSD filter from Hugo 2, with the 220 dB rejection; it actually sounds better than the DSD+ mode in Dave. I always set Dave to PCM+ mode, but in fact the signal path with 768k is the same between DSD+ and PCM+.

It should be possible to surpass the M-Scaler's performance in software on a computer, as long as it doesn't have to be in realtime. Just write the computed bitstream to disk and play it back from there later in realtime as needed.
Imagine a streaming service doing that for its catalog in the cloud, then streaming 705.6 kHz / 768 kHz audio to a device with dual BNC out. Let's call this service Chordal :)

Would a NOS DAC benefit from the M-Scaler so long as it has a compatible dual BNC input and supports those sample rates?

Sure; but there is more to it than just taps; the WTA algorithm is actually much more important than tap length.

As to a NOS DAC, then sure it would benefit. I don't think it would be as big a change as I get with my DAC's, as pulse array requires filtering at 104 MHz, and is capable of reproducing a 50 MHz signal (albeit noisy) thus my DAC's can more accurately resolve the timing information; or more accurately has less timing errors than other DAC architectures. There is limited point of eliminating the timing errors from sampling, if the DAC has larger timing errors itself. R2R DAC's have code specific timing errors (the FETs used have different delays) and create glitch noise on transitions. Conventional delta sigma and DSD have amplitude related timing errors, where the output signal delay depends upon signal amplitude (small signal step changes take longer than large signal steps). So it will be interesting to see how the M scaler works with other DAC's.

@Rob Watts

Will this new DX amplifier be for speakers only, or will it have a headphone output too?

Big powerful mono blocks won't, but stereo amps will, with appropriate gain reduction. So it will depend upon the model.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #64 of 18,435
Which stereo amps?

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #65 of 18,435
Jul 27, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #66 of 18,435
@Rob Watts

I have both the TT2 and Mscaler on order.

A question I have, TT2 is capable of native 512 dsd, I presume the MScaler has a more powerful processor than TT2 ?

If so, why is the mscaler output limited to dsd 256 and why upsample and convert dsd to pcm, could it not be upsampled to 512dsd instead and sent to TT2, which deals with 512 natively. ?

Granted, dsd 512 is nigh on useless at this point in time, for me anyway, but I was just curious to see if 512 dsd was asking too much from the processor and why convert to pcm.

Also, did you manage to find out if cables for attaching mscaler to tt2 are included in their box or will I have to buy my own ?

Cheers.

Edit.

I finally managed to beat this dodgy working forum into submission and was able to not only see, but also read robs post, number 62. Regarding dsd to pcm+ Conversion.

Would still like to find out about the cable situation though.

HEAD-FI admins, please fix the website or pony up for more bandwidth, I can type a post and 30 minutes later I see it appear character after character in the box, its like 748848378365269940ms to slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 27, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #67 of 18,435
Big powerful mono blocks won't, but stereo amps will, with appropriate gain reduction. So it will depend upon the model.
Thanks Rob! That's a smart move, I mean, it would be an incredible waste of potential if headphone users (who are a substantial chunk of the audiophile community) couldn't properly experience these new amps.

Can't wait to hear them! :)

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #70 of 18,435
The unofficial thread started on Saturday, but it surprisingly took Chord a few days to start the official thread.
That explains it, just waiting on the slides for the hugo TT 2,getting excited now even though it's months away, listening to music through my x box one x..you tube, amazing sound quality NOT !I can't even tell if it's a bloke or a woman singing never mind what instruments are getting played, atrocious

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #71 of 18,435
@Rob Watts

Granted, dsd 512 is nigh on useless at this point in time, for me anyway......

Many on the DX200 DAP thread (which also plays native DSD512) are reporting very good results having converted red book CD or FLAC to DSD512 using Xivero software, previously on a PC. I have only tried 60 seconds per track free-trial use, but might spend the £20 to see if DSD conversion is as good as some claim. Very sceptical at first, but if it lowers processing on playback, I’m keeping an open mind.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #72 of 18,435
Many on the DX200 DAP thread (which also plays native DSD512) are reporting very good results having converted red book CD or FLAC to DSD512 using Xivero software, previously on a PC. I have only tried 60 seconds per track free-trial use, but might spend the £20 to see if DSD conversion is as good as some claim. Very sceptical at first, but if it lowers processing on playbook, I’m keeping an open mind.
I don't even know what dsd is,Can't tidal do high res without using mqa because it totally defeats the object when using Chord dacs,I don't know if 44 khz will sound better bit perfect on my chord dac than going high res mqa.I've given up on high res,call me old fashioned but I can't hear any difference with tidal

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #73 of 18,435
I don't even know what dsd is,Can't tidal do high res without using mqa because it totally defeats the object when using Chord dacs,I don't know if 44 khz will sound better bit perfect on my chord dac than going high res mqa

I thought MQA was developed as a way of compressing high res for streaming, so adds nothing in high quality playback of files.

DSD was the format of the hires SACD format. Unfortunate the industry shot itself in the foot with a competing DVD-Audio format. As if two new formats could survive let alone one!

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #74 of 18,435
I thought MQA was developed as a way of compressing high res for streaming, so adds nothing in high quality playback of files.

DSD was the format of the hires SACD format. Unfortunate the industry shot itself in the foot with a competing DVD-Audio format. As if two new formats could survive let alone one!
Yes the Mqa compresses the file then your dac Mqa compatible takes it back to full res but the chord dacs can't do that

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #75 of 18,435
Yes the Mqa compresses the file then your dac Mqa compatible takes it back to full res but the chord dacs can't do that

Just as well. MQA is money-making closed system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back