Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 24, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #14,296 of 18,456
Combined experiences certainly add to the knowledge base but I have gradually come to the conclusion that my favourite input to the Mscaler is BNC when it comes from a top rate source such as the Antipodes K50. This has no hint of fatigue or false detail. There is nothing better however than trying it for oneself and in ones own system and picking what works best based on that.
Have you tried toslink vs bnc from Antipodes ? Any thoughts ?
As always YMMV I'm not saying that toslink is the best but it's definitely a very good option when you consider budget streamers.

Having said that I'm still a bit torn beetwen bnc and toslink, in the near future I plan to demo some better transport like lumin to re evaluate my approach/impressions.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #14,297 of 18,456
Have you tried toslink vs bnc from Antipodes ? Any thoughts ?
As always YMMV I'm not saying that toslink is the best but it's definitely a very good option when you consider budget streamers.

Having said that I'm still a bit torn beetwen bnc and toslink, in the near future I plan to demo some better transport like lumin to re evaluate my approach/impressions.
My Antipodes and my Innuos in common with other high end streamer servers have decided against Toslink. Therefore neither of them offer Toslink as an option. Innuos only offer USB for their top of the range devices, Antipodes offer USB only on some of their devices and only offer USB and BNC on their top K50 device. I have previously used Toslink on other devices prior to me owning the Innuos and Antipodes.

Of course the sound quality of each connection is a function of the implementation in the individual device as well as the relative merits of the the connection method.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #14,298 of 18,456
Of course the sound quality of each connection is a function of the implementation in the individual device as well as the relative merits of the the connection method.
That's what we all should learn from this short story :)
Toslink != Toslink, BNC != BNC, USB != USB

Everything could be implemented in various ways so it's always the best to listen and decide yourself.
In a long run everybody will only benefit from different points of view.

Sep 26, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #14,299 of 18,456
Hi,

I seem to have misplaced the wall wort power supply for the m scaler as I have been using an aftermarker linear power supply. Can anyone recommed in USA where I can a replacement wall wort power supply for it?

thanks

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #14,301 of 18,456
Or try to use some better BNCs like Wave. Personally I use Opto DX and it makes a big difference to me.

I second that Opto DX makes a huge difference.

It really takes M Scaler and DAVE to a new level with Wave BNC.

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #14,303 of 18,456
Hello:
I have recently upgraded from QUTEST to HUGO TT2 and have a quick question-

Is M-Scaler primarily for Headphone use?

Thanks
It depends on your use, it will work with either. The mScaler will become the digital source for your TT2. If you're asking where it's more noticeable, I've heard both, so again depends on your use case and equipment.

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #14,304 of 18,456
Okay thanks for the response. I (briefly) tried an M-Scaler with my home stereo and switching between the highest upscaling rate and bypass mode with my A/V Server as a source, I couldn't appreciate any difference.

There was a substantial difference from MOJO to QUTEST then up to TT2, so (I believe) my system is resolving enough.

I also tried it with a good CD Transport through Optical and again, no difference.

Oddly, I did hear a difference between different Dual BNC cables and I can't say it was any better, just different.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to try M-Scaler with my ARYAs.

Perhaps I will try it again at a later date but it didn't do what I expected it would do with my current setup.

Speakers are POLK AUDIO LSiM-707 Towers, Amp is YAMAHA A-S2100.

Room is wide and relatively shallow, open on one end.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #14,305 of 18,456
Okay thanks for the response. I (briefly) tried an M-Scaler with my home stereo and switching between the highest upscaling rate and bypass mode with my A/V Server as a source, I couldn't appreciate any difference.

There was a substantial difference from MOJO to QUTEST then up to TT2, so (I believe) my system is resolving enough.

I also tried it with a good CD Transport through Optical and again, no difference.

Oddly, I did hear a difference between different Dual BNC cables and I can't say it was any better, just different.

Perhaps I will try it again at a later date but it didn't do what I expected it would do with my current setup.

I can imagine the impact of the mScaler being more noticeable from this:

source ==> mScaler ==> TT2 ==> cans

than from this:

source ==> mScaler ==> TT2 ==> preamp ==> amp ==> speakers

Besides adding two more components (and two more sets of inter-connects), room treatments are going to impact the sound as well. Just a lot more to control. I guess that if your 2-channel system is 'just right' -- I know, when is that ever true -- the impact of the mScaler might be more noticeable than from cans. But for folks who just 'plunk their speakers down in the corners facing the couch' the headphone system is likely to be more revealing.

Obviously I have no idea how you're set up -- certainly not trying to suggest ... fault with your system. Just saying there are a lot more moving parts in the 2-channel system vs headphones directly out of the mTT2 stack. And the impact of the mScaler is subtle. It's not like the tonality rotation you often get when you swap components, or something equally obvious. There are some who either don't hear it, or dismiss it as not significant enough to justify the cost.

Your ears/my ears, right?

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #14,306 of 18,456

Thanks to the "toggle" switch, I could discern the differences between the "full" and "off" modes with a pair of headphones. I've tried the M Scaler with a Utopia, a Stellia, and an MDR-Z1R; the M Scaler worked its magic with all of them. I haven't tried them with a set of speakers, though, but I'm confident that you'd hear a contrast in your music if the playback equipment was a little more intimate; say, with headphones or IEMs.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #14,308 of 18,456
Are there any hardware differences in the m scaler releases over time? Or, are they essentially the same hardware over the past 3 years? I have a Chord Hugo TT2 and I am thinking about picking up an m scaler to pair with it. But, I wanted to know if there are any specific year or models that were superior. Or, all they all the same over time? I've always thought of Chord hardware as being stable over time. But, after encountering so many different models of DAPs and amps in those DAPs, I thought I would ask before I started down the path of buying one.

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #14,309 of 18,456
Are there any hardware differences in the m scaler releases over time? Or, are they essentially the same hardware over the past 3 years? I have a Chord Hugo TT2 and I am thinking about picking up an m scaler to pair with it. But, I wanted to know if there are any specific year or models that were superior. Or, all they all the same over time? I've always thought of Chord hardware as being stable over time. But, after encountering so many different models of DAPs and amps in those DAPs, I thought I would ask before I started down the path of buying one.
There are no differences in m scalers. At least nobody ever mentioned any.

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #14,310 of 18,456
There are no differences in m scalers. At least nobody ever mentioned any.
Thanks. That's been my experience with Chord products which I own a lot of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back