Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #12,797 of 18,478
Do I need to update any drivers for the M Scaler on Windows?
I do see there is a windows driver download available at the Chord site. Here is a link to the page with the download link.
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugo-mscaler/

Here’s a pic of the page; not a windows person so I have no idea if this is a driver you need!
08E6F03E-9607-47C1-B50C-1CE5BF8CA7F3.png

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #12,799 of 18,478
Are we sure the M Scaler doesn't just make the Qutest sound more like the TT2? Because I just tested that pairing, and the improvement is actually very noticeable there.

With the TT2 it improves 16-bit files a bit but takes away from the vibrancy of high res files.

At least with my setup.

Has anyone else experienced this? Really curious to see how it pairs with DAVE. I have a feeling it might really neuter it.

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #12,800 of 18,478
Are we sure the M Scaler doesn't just make the Qutest sound more like the TT2? Because I just tested that pairing, and the improvement is actually very noticeable there.

With the TT2 it improves 16-bit files a bit but takes away from the vibrancy of high res files.

At least with my setup.

Has anyone else experienced this? Really curious to see how it pairs with DAVE. I have a feeling it might really neuter it.
Redflamingolingo, is this the amp your using? https://www.moon-audio.com/auris-audio-headonia-headphone-amplifier.html Because I went from using a Qutest, and then to the TT2 plus M Scaler powered by a Woo WA22, and I found the results phenomenal. You said you were tired, so maybe you should get some sleep and start fresh tomorrow. The HMS/TT2 plus Susvara’s should be an awesome combination.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #12,801 of 18,478
Well you're hearing a difference, you're just not liking what you're hearing. No drivers or USB vs optical is going to change that. From what you have described, everything is working fine and you're just not into it. Like you said, you just saved some dough.

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #12,802 of 18,478
Redflamingolingo, is this the amp your using? https://www.moon-audio.com/auris-audio-headonia-headphone-amplifier.html Because I went from using a Qutest, and then to the TT2 plus M Scaler powered by a Woo WA22, and I found the results phenomenal. You said you were tired, so maybe you should get some sleep and start fresh tomorrow. The HMS/TT2 plus Susvara’s should be an awesome combination.

Yep, that's the amp. You know what? You are right. I could barely drive home from work tonight. I'm in no state to judge anything right now. Time for bed.

I will say I just listed to some Fleetwood Mac Rumours and could hear some pretty noticeable differences. Same with some Billie Eilish tracks.

DAVE is arriving tomorrow. Going to throw that on and sample with the M Scaler and see how it sounds. I've got a few weeks with this before I need to return it if I decide not to keep it.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #12,803 of 18,478
Connected through USB as well. Drivers are all good to go.

Yea, this isn't for me. Maybe it sounds better driving with the integrated TT2 amp? Maybe it is the Auris on my chain that is making the Scaler sound bad. Could it possibly be diluting some of the amp's sound signature? I don't see how that's possible since it is upscaling before being fed into the DAC.

But something is DEFINITELY lost along the way introducing this. I noticed the upgrade from Qutest -> TT2. So I can notice upgrades. I also notice the difference when tube rolling NOS in my amp.

I'll see how DAVE sounds and likely call it a day.

I literally feel like this is some kinda sham equipment, though it can't be based on the multiple positive reviews. I'm really befuddled.

Guess I just saved money. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :deadhorse:

theres gotta be something more to it. you are the first person ive seen that isnt impressed by the mscaler, please try it with the dave and report back :D

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #12,804 of 18,478
Maybe just sensory overload ?
MScaler reveals itself the most in instrument timbre and textures as well as separation of individual sounds, can range from subtle to noticeable depending on the music,
until the Dave arrives just listen through various favourites with the TT2/ MScaler in full upscale for an hour or two without swapping back and forth ..

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #12,805 of 18,478
Maybe just sensory overload ?
MScaler reveals itself the most in instrument timbre and textures as well as separation of individual sounds, can range from subtle to noticeable depending on the music,
until the Dave arrives just listen through various favourites with the TT2/ MScaler in full upscale for an hour or two without swapping back and forth ..

Will definitely do this tonight after work. With more sleep this time! 😴

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #12,806 of 18,478
I think it might also be a volume thing.

Just to clarify, volume is decreased when using M Scaler, correct?

I've had to bump it up compared to just using the TT2 because the sound is softer.

But when I crank the volume I can notice some improvement depending on track.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #12,807 of 18,478
Yep, that's the amp. You know what? You are right. I could barely drive home from work tonight. I'm in no state to judge anything right now. Time for bed.

I will say I just listed to some Fleetwood Mac Rumours and could hear some pretty noticeable differences. Same with some Billie Eilish tracks.

DAVE is arriving tomorrow. Going to throw that on and sample with the M Scaler and see how it sounds. I've got a few weeks with this before I need to return it if I decide not to keep it.

Thanks for your help!
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this with the DAVE. It's supposed to be a great combination.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #12,808 of 18,478
Added M Scaler tonight. Just am not hearing a substantial difference across many tracks. High res ones are sounding plasticky and not as resolving. The music feels farther away from me. Vocals feel less piercing. Even with the volume up.

Maybe my set up is wrong???

It sounds like my music is thinner. Like it has gone on a diet and has lost energy.
That sounds like my M-Scaler/TT2 combo when I bypass the M-Scaler... :rolling_eyes:

Have you tried the TT2 without an amplifier?

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #12,809 of 18,478
Connected through USB as well. Drivers are all good to go.

Yea, this isn't for me. Maybe it sounds better driving with the integrated TT2 amp? Maybe it is the Auris on my chain that is making the Scaler sound bad. Could it possibly be diluting some of the amp's sound signature? I don't see how that's possible since it is upscaling before being fed into the DAC.

But something is DEFINITELY lost along the way introducing this. I noticed the upgrade from Qutest -> TT2. So I can notice upgrades. I also notice the difference when tube rolling NOS in my amp.

I'll see how DAVE sounds and likely call it a day.

I literally feel like this is some kinda sham equipment, though it can't be based on the multiple positive reviews. I'm really befuddled.

Guess I just saved money. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :deadhorse:

That is really odd. The combo of MScaler & TT2 has always been a major positive to me both through the TT2 headphone output and through an external amp.

One more thing you can try related to USB, try using your phone + Qobuz as the source. If you have an iPhone and CCK, just hook that up via the USB and listen to the Qobuz app. That will help rule out anything wanky with your laptop set up.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #12,810 of 18,478
That sounds like my M-Scaler/TT2 combo when I bypass the M-Scaler... :rolling_eyes:

Have you tried the TT2 without an amplifier?

I did try it without the internal amp. And I did notice a difference there.

I'm unable to try it with no external tube amp because my cable only has XLR.

I heard amp with RCA out and high gain was the way to go though.

Just using TT2 as a DAC, I think the music sounded better, which is weird, because if I use TT2 as preamp and DAC with no M Scaler, the sound is great.

It seems like I can do M Scaler with TT2 as DAC only or just TT2.

It's weird.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back