Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #12,782 of 18,518
Have you volume matched with the mscaler added in? If memory serves it’s 2.8-3db lower due to headroom for the mscaler.

M Scaler does sound quieter. I've turned the sound up a bit. Is there a way to precisely volume match with M Scaler added? Or you just push it until volume sounds about the same?

Even with volume increased, I think TT2 alone sounds better. The sound just doesn't grab me like the TT2 does solo.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #12,783 of 18,518
M Scaler does sound quieter. I've turned the sound up a bit. Is there a way to precisely volume match with M Scaler added? Or you just push it until volume sounds about the same?

Even with volume increased, I think TT2 alone sounds better. The sound just doesn't grab me like the TT2 does solo.
I use a phone app (decibel x) and a 1khz test tone. Precision (matching) is all I’m trying to do. Accuracy isn’t as important, so a phone app works fine for this. Could simply be a preference difference.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #12,784 of 18,518

Is there any chance you have some RFI in your system? That would probably make the TT2 sound more tonally accurate alone.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #12,785 of 18,518

Volume matching is important. Louder always sounds better in all kinds of ways. I suspect that's what you're hearing. Also, make sure your MScaler is setup properly. The first three lights from the left should be OFF, WHITE/GREEN (depending on your input USB/OPTICAL), and WHITE.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #12,786 of 18,518
Maybe try usb to see if it’s related to your optical cable

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #12,787 of 18,518
Volume matching is important. Louder always sounds better in all kinds of ways. I suspect that's what you're hearing. Also, make sure your MScaler is setup properly. The first three lights from the left should be OFF, WHITE/GREEN (depending on your input USB/OPTICAL), and WHITE.

Ran with stock optical cable. Increased volume.

M Scaler added definitely decreases volume and requires a bit more volume to reach TT2 by itself?

Lights are off, green, and white from left to right.

I hear a difference with non high-res tracks for sure. But high-res tracks I feel the M Scaler veils them a bit behind an....I dunno....plastic???? Instruments don't sound as deep. Vocals sound floaty. The music isn't as holographic.

TT2 by itself just sounds better. Maybe my ears need to adjust to this...

I feel my Susvara isn't imaging as well with the M Scaler. It feels like the M Scaler is introducing something that is making my headphones sound off.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #12,788 of 18,518
Total Side step. With a USB connection does it matter if you just use automatic input pink orb instead of USB white input?

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #12,789 of 18,518

Redflamingolingo, okay. First of all do you have the M Scaler instructions in front of you? This should be a very easy process to connect these 2 units and get fantastic sound out of them. It’s just really plug and play. What kind of laptop do you have, and what is your music source?

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #12,791 of 18,518
Redflamingolingo, okay. First of all do you have the M Scaler instructions in front of you? This should be a very easy process to connect these 2 units and get fantastic sound out of them. It’s just really plug and play. What kind of laptop do you have, and what is your music source?

Thanks for your help. I followed the instructions but am admittedly running on 4 hours of sleep last night....so there's that :scream::sleeping:

I am running optical from PC to M Scaler. Source is qobuz mostly. Have BNC cables connected from M Scaler with corresponding 1 and 2 outputs to inputs 1 and 2 on the TT2. From TT2 I am outputting through RCA to my Auris Nirvana amp. Then headphones connected to amp via XLR.

I've been listening to Qutest and then TT2 for the last month or so with the setup minus the M Scaler. DAVE is on the way because I want to sample all these DACs before making the plunge. Maybe I already have done that haha.

Added M Scaler tonight. Just am not hearing a substantial difference across many tracks. High res ones are sounding plasticky and not as resolving. The music feels farther away from me. Vocals feel less piercing. Even with the volume up.

Maybe my set up is wrong???

It sounds like my music is thinner. Like it has gone on a diet and has lost energy.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #12,792 of 18,518
Thanks for your help. I followed the instructions but am admittedly running on 4 hours of sleep last night....so there's that :scream::sleeping:

I am running optical from PC to M Scaler. Source is qobuz mostly. Have BNC cables connected from M Scaler with corresponding 1 and 2 outputs to inputs 1 and 2 on the TT2. From TT2 I am outputting through RCA to my Auris Nirvana amp. Then headphones connected to amp via XLR.

I've been listening to Qutest and then TT2 for the last month or so with the setup minus the M Scaler. DAVE is on the way because I want to sample all these DACs before making the plunge. Maybe I already have done that haha.

Added M Scaler tonight. Just am not hearing a substantial difference across many tracks. High res ones are sounding plasticky and not as resolving. The music feels farther away from me. Vocals feel less piercing. Even with the volume up.

Maybe my set up is wrong???

It sounds like my music is thinner. Like it has gone on a diet and has lost energy.
Redflamingolingo, do you have a decent USB cable to connect from your computer to the M Scaler?

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #12,793 of 18,518
Redflamingolingo, do you have a decent USB cable to connect from your computer to the M Scaler?

I have stock cable, so I'll try that and see if that makes a difference now.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #12,794 of 18,518
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #12,795 of 18,518
Connected through USB as well. Drivers are all good to go.

Yea, this isn't for me. Maybe it sounds better driving with the integrated TT2 amp? Maybe it is the Auris on my chain that is making the Scaler sound bad. Could it possibly be diluting some of the amp's sound signature? I don't see how that's possible since it is upscaling before being fed into the DAC.

But something is DEFINITELY lost along the way introducing this. I noticed the upgrade from Qutest -> TT2. So I can notice upgrades. I also notice the difference when tube rolling NOS in my amp.

I'll see how DAVE sounds and likely call it a day.

I literally feel like this is some kinda sham equipment, though it can't be based on the multiple positive reviews. I'm really befuddled.

Guess I just saved money. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :deadhorse:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back