Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 25, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #12,766 of 18,436
I haven't really tried the filters - I started on 1 and left it there. Am I missing anything?
possibly. For me it maybe did, as I ran filter 1 for a while then switched to 2 based on what it's intended purpose is to address:

FIL1 – Incisive neutral: the default filtering characteristic; the absolute reference.
FIL2 – Incisive neutral with HF roll-off: contains the same fundamental filtering characteristics of FIL1, however, the HF filter is intended to remove the HF noise from HD (88.2 to 768 kHz) recordings.

Using the Mscaler to upsample to the max led me to this decision. Seemed to take a bit of the high energy edge off but I didn't double blind test it, nor will I. Give it a go, as it's a free feature of the device.

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #12,767 of 18,436
possibly. For me it maybe did, as I ran filter 1 for a while then switched to 2 based on what it's intended purpose is to address:

FIL1 – Incisive neutral: the default filtering characteristic; the absolute reference.
FIL2 – Incisive neutral with HF roll-off: contains the same fundamental filtering characteristics of FIL1, however, the HF filter is intended to remove the HF noise from HD (88.2 to 768 kHz) recordings.

Using the Mscaler to upsample to the max led me to this decision. Seemed to take a bit of the high energy edge off but I didn't double blind test it, nor will I. Give it a go, as it's a free feature of the device.
I keep meaning to try the filters but I turn it on and start listening to music and forget... 🤣

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #12,769 of 18,436
It's such a small difference, you're not missing anything, in fact on Fil 1 you're hearing more high frequency which might contain some noise, hence Fil 2 with the rolloff.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #12,770 of 18,436
I keep meaning to try the filters but I turn it on and start listening to music and forget... 🤣
griff500, I too like to be able to just turn my amp on, click the ROON icon in my MacBook Pro 💻, and just start listening without a care in the world. As soon as Nick 🥓 at WAVE High Fidelity finishes my STORM BNC’s then we’ll be close to having pretty much the same listening chain, except I’m don’t have an Auralic Aries G2.1 streamer. The Auralic is the only one that caught my eye because I’ve already got the HMS and TT2. https://us.auralic.com/products/aries-g2-1?variant=34539988517032 But I’d also like to add the ABYSS 1266 Phi TC’s as a planar magnetic compliment to my Utopia’s. https://abyss-headphones.com/products/abyss-ab-1266-phi-headphone?variant=7865778176043 The problem is both are around the same number of pesos, and which piece of kit is going to last longer.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #12,771 of 18,436
griff500, I too like to be able to just turn my amp on, click the ROON icon in my MacBook Pro 💻, and just start listening without a care in the world. As soon as Nick 🥓 at WAVE High Fidelity finishes my STORM BNC’s then we’ll be close to having pretty much the same listening chain, except I’m don’t have an Auralic Aries G2.1 streamer. https://us.auralic.com/products/aries-g2-1?variant=34539988517032
Mine is only the 2.0 😝

The cables are worth the wait.

It’s a great sounding setup. Happy days. 👍

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #12,772 of 18,436
Mine is only the 2.0 😝

The cables are worth the wait.

It’s a great sounding setup. Happy days. 👍
griff500, do you use the Auralic for streaming music into different rooms and locations, or just for the sound improvement of your hp system?

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #12,773 of 18,436
griff500, do you use the Auralic for streaming music into different rooms and locations, or just for the sound improvement of your hp system?
It’s just for my system in the living room and I use speakers and headphones.

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #12,774 of 18,436
Connecting TT2 to M Scaler I do not see an input setting of DBNC as the manual suggests.

I only see BNC 1 or BNC 2 as inputs on thebTT2. Both BNC cables are plugged in.

What am I supposed to select on the TT 2 to get the full input? The manual makes it seem like an input of DBNC should be available.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Edit: Nevermind. Got it. Had to upres first from red to a different color button. Jeez.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #12,775 of 18,436
So...question....

I just paired an M Scaler with my TT2, and the sound is definitely worse than with just the TT2. I have these upgraded BNC cables as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3AL6WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I do bypass signal, it also sounds weak. It doesn't sound the same as when I connect my optical from computer directly to the TT2. The music is pushed back, not as amplified, sounds are a bit muddled together, it just doesn't sound as full through M Scaler.

Connecting to M Scaler I am using the same optical cord from computer-> M Scaler -> TT2 -> Auris Nirvana -> Susvara.

Since bypass on M Scaler sounds about as muddy as the highest resolution option, I'm assuming the issue is with the M Scaler.

Has anyone had this problem before? Does the M Scaler need to be burned in? It is a new unit.

If this is all there is to this thing, I'm really disappointed. Surely I'm missing something?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #12,776 of 18,436
On the TT select BNC. The double BNC reacts to the sample rate unless I'm mistaken.
Out of interest I would remove the BNC cables you have, attach the stock that came w/unit and see what happens. You have the BNC's in the correct input/output yes?

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #12,777 of 18,436
On the center light make sure it's on White. That is the Dual BNC. If you do a pass through it turns RED and the TT2 will indicate a single BNC

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #12,778 of 18,436
So...question....

I just paired an M Scaler with my TT2, and the sound is definitely worse than with just the TT2. I have these upgraded BNC cables as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3AL6WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I do bypass signal, it also sounds weak. It doesn't sound the same as when I connect my optical from computer directly to the TT2. The music is pushed back, not as amplified, sounds are a bit muddled together, it just doesn't sound as full through M Scaler.

Connecting to M Scaler I am using the same optical cord from computer-> M Scaler -> TT2 -> Auris Nirvana -> Susvara.

Since bypass on M Scaler sounds about as muddy as the highest resolution option, I'm assuming the issue is with the M Scaler.

Has anyone had this problem before? Does the M Scaler need to be burned in? It is a new unit.

If this is all there is to this thing, I'm really disappointed. Surely I'm missing something?
Have you volume matched with the mscaler added in? If memory serves it’s 2.8-3db lower due to headroom for the mscaler.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #12,779 of 18,436
On the TT select BNC. The double BNC reacts to the sample rate unless I'm mistaken.
Out of interest I would remove the BNC cables you have, attach the stock that came w/unit and see what happens. You have the BNC's in the correct input/output yes?

Yea, I have the cables in the right places. DBNC is the only option when the upres is selected and the button on M Scaler is anything but red.

I'm going to try stock and see how that sounds.

Also, I have an optical cable with circular ends that I'm stuffing into the M Scaler input, so maybe I'll try stock optical cable as well and see if that makes a difference. But I assume so long as I hear the music the optical cable is connected firmly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back