Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 22, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #9,467 of 18,495
It's no fun fighting with someone when you already know you will win.......

ps; this will only make sense because it makes sense

have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Nov 22, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #9,470 of 18,495
From where did yoy get the data that computer emit RFI which can go upto 5m ? Tt2 has such a thick aluminium casing that it is only affected by RFI through wired connection like any other dac. Don't spread wrong information in this forum. BNC cable connection do get benefited by 2 or 3 ferrites like in any other dac also not just tt2. Just do a simple test by bringing your mobile near tt2. Even the best shielded dacs are affected by the rfi of phone but you won't listen any budge with computer near by tt2.

From Dmance, AudioWise Inc, that manufacture the Opto-DX

Nov 22, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #9,473 of 18,495
@rkt31
Chord DACs are so incredibly sensitive. Every connector and metal fold on TT2 chassis acts as an antenna ..as does every metal cable (power, coax, usb). Don't bet that RFI from a distance does not affect the transparency to some degree. I've measured the RFI; followed the evidence and the corollary is that every step taken to reduce RFI helps SQ. Signal. Power. Distance.
If you found chord dacs sensitive to RFI then what other dac you measured for RFI which were not so sensitive to RFI ?

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #9,475 of 18,495
If you found chord dacs sensitive to RFI then what other dac you measured for RFI which were not so sensitive to RFI ?
the other i've spent the most time with is PSAudio Directstream. very close sonic signature (vs Hugo2 at the time). I was running both with Toslink input ...my first nod to RF isolation. I sold Directstream when it was obvious that Chord's DAC/AMP design showed better transparency when directly driving my voxativ speakers (and headphones) ...and then the benefit of MScaler really separated the two approaches. So to answer your question, Chord stands alone, IMO, at the top for SQ and the possibility to achieve extreme transparency ...when understanding and care is applied.

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #9,476 of 18,495
So
the other i've spent the most time with is PSAudio Directstream. very close sonic signature (vs Hugo2 at the time). I was running both with Toslink input ...my first nod to RF isolation. I sold Directstream when it was obvious that Chord's DAC/AMP design showed better transparency when directly driving my voxativ speakers (and headphones) ...and then the benefit of MScaler really separated the two approaches. So to answer your question, Chord stands alone, IMO, at the top for SQ and the possibility to achieve extreme transparency ...when understanding and care is applied.
So you mean to say the DACs which are more transparent, are more sensitive to RFI ? For your "statement that chord dacs are most sensitive to RFI " some more detailed explanation or measurements or tests or which more other dacs directly tested against chord dacs may please be mentioned or else please refrain from making such general kind of statements. Before chord dacs i used arcam dacs and i can say that those dacs also benefited with better power supply and RFI mitigation. There is nothing wrong in that. Each and every electronic device is susceptible to RFI that's why you see ferrite on printer cable or laptop charger too.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #9,477 of 18,495
Yes you know now its was RFI that gave your more detail in the music which is not what RFI does it makes music less coherent.... I guess I should start selling my equipment since I want more RFI for more detail... what would I do without this type of wisdom... I think I'll go back to my regular usb and macbook pro for listening...

Incorrect my main listening is with Dave direct amp just recently. Perhaps you had imaginary cables producing imaginary RFI. Valhalla 2 and Odin 2 are the newer versions of the cable and vastly superior to the old cables.

What I notice most of the time the worst critics of Nordost (who by the way have a science) for what they do.. are the people that can't afford their products.

Their cables don't create RFI they prevent it and they are at the trade shows all the time giving open air demo's proving over and over to the public the validity of their cables and their are plenty of online reviews.[/QU
Optical should be perfect but we now know that computers emit airborne RFI, that can travel up to 5 metres. RFI can also back feed into the mains from the computer's power supply. Try separating the computer from your TT2 using a long optical cable and plug the computer into a different circuit. Ideally use Opto-Dx between the Mscaler and TT2.

In my experience wireless is better than wired. It may be my source and As I’m using an Aries and Auralic reccomendation wireless. Ethernet is supposed to be. Galvanically isolated but it’s not completely. It also depends how long the Ethernet run is. I’ve had better result from long runs as it seems signicantly less noise gets through. If I put a switch in the path, for instance, I can definitely hear it, For my setup, it seems wireless is the lesser of two evils.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #9,479 of 18,495
In my experience wireless is better than wired. It may be my source and As I’m using an Aries and Auralic reccomendation wireless. Ethernet is supposed to be. Galvanically isolated but it’s not completely. It also depends how long the Ethernet run is. I’ve had better result from long runs as it seems signicantly less noise gets through. If I put a switch in the path, for instance, I can definitely hear it, For my setup, it seems wireless is the lesser of two evils.

It could have also been the ethernet cable you were using. Wired is always better than wireless.

Speaking of switches I've actually had a demo of this switch and the results where incredible. Something I'll add later on.

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/snh-10g/

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #9,480 of 18,495
Hmmm eye problems to.
Hahaha, you just don’t get it do you? Your grammar sucks buddy It should read “Hmmm eye problems too”,too is the word you should use, not “to” with one “o” Too means also, which is the word you want. I am going “to”ignore you is the word context that you use, which is a completely different meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back