1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633
635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644
Next

Last
  1. rkt31
    Yes exactly. The funny thing is that you can't even measure these clear improvements, which indicates how sensitive is our brain to noise.

Triode User likes this.
  2. Ards
    Try something like the Pink Faun LAN isolator for proper isolation. It's transformative. As are better ethernet cables (SoTM/JCAT) and switches (AQVox/SoTM).

3. nomad777
    Oh I get it... I just don't care "to" I still think you need help perhaps the first site didn't do it for you.
    "Sucks buddy"

https://www.verywellmind.com/psychology-of-self-control-4177125

https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2019/09/30/self-control

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  4. nomad777
    The Sotm Cat7's are top notch...

5. Ards
    Agreed, however just replaced mine with the JCAT Signature. I wish these cables didn't make a difference, but they do... And keeping it relevant to the HMS: garbage in, garbage out.

6. ZappaMan
    Last night I decided to try the rfi test and so switched my mtt2 over from my computer desk to some side tables on the other side of the room. Switched off the pc and it’s wifi usb dongle.
    Powered chrome cast audio by battery and cast to it via the qobuz app on my phone.
    I also kept tt2 and mscaler at the maximum distance apart that I could (1 metre wave cables).
    It sounded significantly more transparent, if I had to use a number I’d say 20%, so very much worth the effort. Live vocals were sharper and more nuanced, bass was better, much more defined. The natural reverb from a live singers voice was revealed, and ever present. I was thinking to myself, this equipment is really really shining. I thought too, that suddenly I was aware of soundstage, almost for the first time. Not as in a left right thing, but depth and subtlety. if this is true then rfi has a lot to answer for.
    I’d had a few glasses of wine, which invalidates my results as a more serious test, but I enjoyed the experience, and will see if I can get setup next time to even turn Wi-Fi off on my router and unplug stuff in the house that isn’t used at night (when I listen).
    So I’m guessing my pc / monitor was probably radiating rfi into the dac, that could be the simplest explanation, or placebo too is possible, but not likely.
    Edit: even this morning my Mtt2 sounds significantly better (than prior to move), much much tighter. A lot of the music I listen to, it’s nearly impossible to comprehend what’s being sung lol, that’s thom Yorke, but his voice is much clearer. And the little timing snare hits are sharp, defined, all very immersive. And and there are multiple layers of drum samples playing, all somehow now taking prominence. Very enjoyable, it’s what I paid the big bucks for.

JM1979, gnomen, audio_1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. nomad777
    Those are good to. Audio bacon did a review on both of them.

8. Amberlamps
    RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI RFI.......STFU

All this talk of rfi is spoiling the thread, as it's now become an rfi thread and not an mscaler one.

Maybe, as has been suggested previously, maybe a thread dedicated to rfi would be a good idea ?

Nomad777, are you the user previously known as mightyKyn ?

9. Progisus
    @Amberlamps Couldn’t agree more. It has become a marketplace for vendors as well. It perpetuates rfi paranoia. Sitting in Starbucks this am with my dap wondering if rfi from the coffee makers is ruining my experience.

musickid, Nik74, kelly200269 and 3 others like this.
  10. ZappaMan
    The only thing I can say, is that, what I was talking about is free, it’s just switching things off to see if it sounds better.

gnomen likes this.
  11. nomad777
    No to your ID question. To me RFI is just another topic... but I think the reason people are paranoid about it ... is its in the manual to avoid certain circumstances with the HMS...... I haven't experienced any of those issues and as I said before I think some of this is imagined placebo effect.

Rob has been kind enough and responded to me that where I have my WA 33 which is a large amp and where I have my HMS should not pose any issues and it hasn't....

Amberlamps and kelly200269 like this.
  12. nomad777
    I also posted a while back. I used to own the Blu2 and eventually replaced it with the HMS. The HMS sounds better and if you wanted what your getting now with the HMS; for anywhere from 5K to 7K depending where you live. You would have had to pay 10K to 13K previously for the same upscaling. Plus we also have the unique opportunity to contact the president and designer of the HMS (two different people) right here on these forums. Where else do you get that?

kelly200269 likes this.
  13. musickid
    The RF problem is real but it is becoming a bit boring now. Let's move on together as one in total unity.

Amberlamps likes this.
  14. Lgn3
    I hope that the improvement you have described is still audible, especially as it was achieved at no cost !. Interesting though, that what you heard regarding sharper vocals, the snare hits sharp and defined would probably be described as RFI artefacts by the maker of the cables you have bought. Anything described as bright or sharp is seemingly frowned on. Darker, smoother sound is the aim.

ZappaMan likes this.
  15. nomad777
    Not really to dark is not good either. That can mean hardware design compromises. When I bought the Innuos server and listened to music initially I didn't like it. Way to dark. At least for me. So I did things to compensate and improved the sound. At that time I was also testing the Antipodes DSGT via a home demo and the sound signature was so much better than the Innuos. This is one of their older versions. Smooth, buttery almost. With better detail. I wouldn't call it brighter but more detail combined with smoothness. I made the choice then to move over to Antipodes. I later found out how they achieve their sound signature and have talked to the Owner/President which solidified my switch. Long blurb to say dark isn't always better.

First

Back
624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633
635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644
Next

Last