Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 22, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #9,451 of 18,355

My experience with Nordost cable is the exact opposite to yours. I had a full Odin setup. I now know that all the perceived detailed that Nordost cables give is RFI. Their flat speaker cables must be some of least phase coherent cables made. Due to the cable layout out, they must have different inductance in each conductor due to the varying spaces between the conductors.

I would ignore Nomad777, he seems to want to argue, or contradict everyone who posts here lately. Just looking at the list of your gear makes me very envious and also happy that you use Chord products in your front end, that setup must be truly stunning, and dare I say, probably the best sounding system of anyone on here.Enjoy!

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #9,452 of 18,355
Just looking at the list of your gear makes me very envious and also happy that you use Chord products in your front end, that setup must be truly stunning, and dare I say, probably the best sounding system of anyone on here.Enjoy!

In the words of Harry Hill, There is only one way to settle this. FIGHT!!!!!

(ps, this will only make sense to those in the UK who have seen a particular Harry Hill TV programme)

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #9,453 of 18,355

(ps, this will only make sense to those in the UK who have seen a particular Harry Hill TV programme)

I was born over there Triode, but do not know any of the current shows, I do remember On the buses, Top of the pops, and of course Benny Hill. I moved to Canada in 1974 (age 9). Hey, I am sure your setup sounds pretty awesome too, but man, those speakers alone are worth more than most houses. And I chuckled at Nomad’s comment about most Nordost haters can’t afford them, after I saw his gear list.

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #9,454 of 18,355
I would ignore Nomad777, he seems to want to argue, or contradict everyone who posts here lately. Just looking at the list of your gear makes me very envious and also happy that you use Chord products in your front end, that setup must be truly stunning, and dare I say, probably the best sounding system of anyone on here.Enjoy!

Thanks. I designed my system around components that I agree with the manufacturers' design criteria and that sound good. There is too much snake oil and lack of new technical ideas in high end Hi-Fi. This is why I got the Chord DAVE and Blu2. I compared it to other DACs and preferred it. Rob Watts is the only one doing digital correctly imho. The knowledge that I have gained from him and his presentations has been invaluable. The discussions here on RFI have also been great as we now understand more about what affects digital sound quality and don't have to rely on sometimes dubious manufacturer information or biased reviews.

Nov 22, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #9,455 of 18,355
I was born over there Triode, but do not know any of the current shows, I do remember On the buses, Top of the pops, and of course Benny Hill. I moved to Canada in 1974 (age 9). Hey, I am sure your setup sounds pretty awesome too, but man, those speakers alone are worth more than most houses. And I chuckled at Nomad’s comment about most Nordost haters can’t afford them, after I saw his gear list.

Don't worry, I'm only jealous of the @audio_1 set up.

Harry Hill's TV Burp show was not very intellectual but it was amusing in a juvenile sort of way.

Nov 22, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #9,456 of 18,355

And this will only make sense to those in Russia.

Nov 22, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #9,457 of 18,355
Guys, would like to ask you to help me to choose appropriate ferrite core model to put on my M scaler > Hugo2 BNC/COax cable.
upload_2019-11-22_12-46-43.png

Thank you very much.

Edit.

Will those fit and what quantity i should order on 60cm cable lenght?
https://uk.farnell.com/wurth-elektronik/74271142s/ferrite-core-split-5mm-182ohm/dp/2066881

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #9,458 of 18,355

yes please ignore me....... I'm chuckling to...

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #9,459 of 18,355
With a desktop computer going optical out to mscaler direct does it make any difference if that same computer is streaming music with wifi or wired ethernet? I know optical is galvanically isolated but with a wired ethernet connection there is capacitive coupling too??

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #9,460 of 18,355
With a desktop computer going optical out to mscaler direct does it make any difference if that same computer is streaming music with wifi or wired ethernet? I know optical is galvanically isolated but with a wired ethernet connection there is capacitive coupling too??
Optical should be perfect but we now know that computers emit airborne RFI, that can travel up to 5 metres. RFI can also back feed into the mains from the computer's power supply. Try separating the computer from your TT2 using a long optical cable and plug the computer into a different circuit. Ideally use Opto-Dx between the Mscaler and TT2.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #9,461 of 18,355
I am thinking about constructing my own BNC cables. I am reasonably handy with a soldering iron and neither ferrites or BNC plugs are particularly expensive. I know some experimentation with the number and type of ferrites will be needed but to take this bulk cable as an example I should be able to put together a pair of 1 metre 5N Pure Silver 75 ohm BNC cables with ferrites for no more than say £200-220

https://eden-audio.com/index.php?id_product=189&controller=product

I wonder if anyone else has tried something similar.

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #9,462 of 18,355
Optical should be perfect but we now know that computers emit airborne RFI, that can travel up to 5 metres. RFI can also back feed into the mains from the computer's power supply. Try separating the computer from your TT2 using a long optical cable and plug the computer into a different circuit. Ideally use Opto-Dx between the Mscaler and TT2.
From where did yoy get the data that computer emit RFI which can go upto 5m ? Tt2 has such a thick aluminium casing that it is only affected by RFI through wired connection like any other dac. Don't spread wrong information in this forum. BNC cable connection do get benefited by 2 or 3 ferrites like in any other dac also not just tt2. Just do a simple test by bringing your mobile near tt2. Even the best shielded dacs are affected by the rfi of phone but you won't listen any budge with computer near by tt2.

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #9,463 of 18,355
@rkt31
Chord DACs are so incredibly sensitive. Every connector and metal fold on TT2 chassis acts as an antenna ..as does every metal cable (power, coax, usb). Don't bet that RFI from a distance does not affect the transparency to some degree. I've measured the RFI; followed the evidence and the corollary is that every step taken to reduce RFI helps SQ. Signal. Power. Distance.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #9,464 of 18,355

It's no fun fighting with someone when you already know you will win.......

ps; this will only make sense because it makes sense

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #9,465 of 18,355

Users who are viewing this thread

Back